Carra: keane is better than gerrard?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:27 pm

Keane was a superb footballer.

Gerrard has more ability but Keane's will to win and economical use of the ball was exceptional.

He's not quite what he once was, but he's still pretty good.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:38 pm

I think as someone said there Gerrard is too young to be in caras team..most of them are well past it with the exception of cafu. Ive no doubt Gerrard will be a greater player than Keane  and as for inspiration hes done a fair bit of that already.  :;):  do we need reminding. If we should compare Keane with anyone it should be Souness. anyone got a coin ?
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Luis Garcia » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Gerrards problem is this....

When his head drops he is "very bad", not just poor!

he shows no league form playing for England for some reason.

Keane was probably better when at his best.

This is evident when Liverpool Always play Utd in the League.
Stevie tends to bottle it and take a back seat, and Keane will dominate the midfield, its as though he's bottled it or something. Stevie aint no graeme souness, thats for sure. we need midfielders made of Iron, not nancy boys who make pretty passes that look good. thats a "beckham" pufftas game.

I would say Sissoko has pontential in that class.

Mark my words, when LFC play Utd on the 18th, watch the 2 players closely and youll see what I mean.

im not having a dig for the sake of it.
Luis Garcia

Postby Mikz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:21 pm

Ive never seen Gerrard bottle it against Keane. Ive seen united crowd him out but thinkin back even in the houllier days gerrard always came up tops. Look at it this way-They dont come any better than stevie G! :D They dont come no better than stevie G! Now repeat that back to me -I wanna make sure you understand.  :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:50 pm

banks

neale        beckenbaur  baresi       carlos

zico     maradonna    alberto   eder

basten             pele

let no mo fooker diss dis team
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:25 am

Gerrard in an all time XI? give me a break. I wouldn't put him in todays world XI. He might have the potential but he's definetely not there yet. Keane is just about plausible...
Last edited by XSD on Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:58 am

neil wrote:banks

basten             pele

who is neale?

is it phil Neal from liverpool or is there a player called Neale i dont know about
112-1077774096

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:32 am

Interestingly no player that Jamie has played with is there. Owen when he first came on the scene was a world beater. I am sure that many will laugh at me mentioning Owen, but those two first years he was the best in the world, and would have got into anyones eleven. But as we know form is temporary.

I think deep down players seem to respect opponents more than team mates. You see your team mates day in and day out, with all their mistakes. Your opponents only ever seem to show up fully charged and committed which leaves more of an impression.

One thing you can say about keane is he never played with his head down (meaning played with confidence rather than the Baros factor), but he is a glorified thug!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:40 am

it sound like a bit of a cshool boy error anyway
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Sean » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:41 am

Kazza commented that Keane is a glorified thug.....well thats exactly what we needed in the mid to late 90's when we should have won a league title.  We needed a glorified thug to win a few tackles in midfield.  Instead we had Digger Barnes and Jamie Redknapp, great players in their own right but couldn't scrap or tackle.

I'm Liverpool through and through.  I despise Man U, but for me Roy Keane is the outstanding player of the past 15 years.  Last night Gerrard was unable to stamp his authority against Northern Ireland (no disrespect intended but full of third rate players).  Meanwhile Roy Keane was running the show against Zidane, Vieira and Makalele in midfield for the republic in Dublin.  His midfield partner Kilbane had a nightmare but Keane virtually took the french midfield boys on on his own.  Yet he is supposed to be well past his best.

It used to sicken me when Keane lifted trophy after trophy for Man United but anyone who suggests that Gerard is better than Keane is simply giving a very biased opinion.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby simic_ie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:50 pm

Stevie has more natural ability than Roy Keane, that we can all agree, but he isn't as clever a footballer as him, he doesn't lead his team better than him and unless he stops bottling it in the big games when the pressures on (think CL final, he only started playing when there was nothing really at stake, ie we were 3-0 down, first half he was annonymous) and becomes a real leader inspiring others around him to be better instead of trying to do it all himself he never will be better. It's fat lot of good being naturally talented without the brains to go with it. Louis Garcia is a good example. He is extremely talented but doesn't know how to use it to it's best effect.

Roy Keane throughout the mid-late 90's to up to early 2000's was quite simply the best defensively midfielder on the planet. Stevie doesn't have the discipline to be a DM and that's why Rafa has pushed him on.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:50 pm

For me Gerrard may be a more gifted footballer than keane but Keane's desire to win, his determination, his work rate, his inspirational leadership for me make him the better player.  Gerrard has these qualities as well but he is still well behind keane in those areas, and it was those areas that made Keane world class.  Although I'm only young and so cant judge him compared to the great players i never saw, for me he is the best centre midfielder i have ever seen. (bearing in mind i didnt start watching football till '97)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Big Niall » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:51 pm

Keane is better than SG. Watch Keane last night in a :censored: Ireland team take on the French midfield nearly single handed and did extremely well. He also usually gets the better of SG. Bear in mind Keane is now old but is stil lbetter, remember him at his peak - 1996 beating REdknapp and barnes. Don't let reputation and hype cloud you if he was English you'd talk about him as if he was the the greatest player ever.

Obviously JC xi is biased as very British orientated, I mean where's Maradonna, Pele, Di Stefano etc
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:13 pm

Have to agree Gerrard would not be in my all-time world 11 either, but Roy Keane would. 

Gerrard is a much better player than Keane on the ball, in terms of creating chances and scoring goals, he also has a lot more pace than keane had at his peak.  He also has a better temperament than keane had at 25.

Keane on the other hand almost never gives away possession and has a much better football brain.  He is positionally better and more disciplined.  He has that natural instinct for when to keep possession and when to bomb forward or spray a long pass (which gerrard doesn't). 

Gerrard on form is better than Keane on form, no question for me.  But over a season, Keane is a more reliable player than Gerrard in the big games and is generally more consistent, so I'd have to go for Keane.  Of course, I'm talking about the Keane of a couple of years ago here, he's still good but the injuries are catching up with him, this'll be his last big season.

All time 11:

Schmeichel

Cafu              Desailly           Baresi             Maldini

Keane

Matthaus           Zidane

Ronaldinho                 Romario                   Rivaldo

Never saw Pele apart from on tapes (before my time) and never saw much of Maradonna at his peak apart from tapes so won't include these guys.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:40 pm

peewee wrote:
neil wrote:banks

basten             pele

who is neale?

is it phil Neal from liverpool or is there a player called Neale i dont know about

Correct, most decorated english player of all time, scored in at least 2 european cup finals, played in loads. Why the surprise?  ???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion