Gerrard, vieira or keane?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Deffo Gerrard, he has developed into a monster in the last few years
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Gerrard is the most complete player of all of them. His versatility is unique.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Dotty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Possilby would seem the most one sided question to ask most Liverpool supporters this, but for me it is Stevie G. The other 2 were outstanding midfielders but not as dynamic as Gerrard with the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck a win it by himself.

GERRARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

all the way
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Zidane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Unfortunately comparing Gerrard to the other two is a bit unfair as they aren't the same type of player to begin with but not many players are on Gerrard's level anyway so tough sht for those guys.  Stevie in his prime which is what we're seeing now is far better than either of those guys.
Zidane

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Hmmm...............not as clear cut as some are making out. Gerrard has some natural gifts that the other two didn’t possess, pace and acceleration, long range passing, crossing and long range shots.

But I tell you one thing, if I was playing a 4-4-2 and was expecting the same to be played at a slow tempo I would take Keane and Viera as my two central midfielders over Gerrard.

When the game is played at a high tempo Gerrard is arguably the best player in the world and can win you games but when you need to dominate the game at a slower tempo Gerrard is not that effective. He will not see the ball as much, his passes are not as accommodating for his team mates and he is often ball watching when we don’t have the ball.

I still remember towards the end of Keane’s career when he was on his last legs there was a game when he went in really hard on Gerrard in the first few minutes. Gerrard was running around all game trying to get the ball and Keane just controlled the whole 90 minutes by doing the simply things brilliantly.

Viera was one of the most majestic and dominate central midfield players I have ever seen. He was the best central midfielder in the Premiership for the best part of 5 years.

I still feel that Gerrard has that sort of “luxury player” feel to him and you will always have to comprise other players and your system in order to get the best out of him. You never got that with Keane and Viera.

Gerrard is one the best players in the world, one of the most dangerous to the opposition and a reasonable argument can be put forward for him being better than the other two but I think some people are doing a disservice to Keane and Viera when they say Gerrard is head and shoulders above them.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Hmmm...............not as clear cut as some are making out. Gerrard has some natural gifts that the other two didn’t possess, pace and acceleration, long range passing, crossing and long range shots.

But I tell you one thing, if I was playing a 4-4-2 and was expecting the same to be played at a slow tempo I would take Keane and Viera as my two central midfielders over Gerrard.

When the game is played at a high tempo Gerrard is arguably the best player in the world and can win you games but when you need to dominate the game at a slower tempo Gerrard is not that effective. He will not see the ball as much, his passes are not as accommodating for his team mates and he is often ball watching when we don’t have the ball.

I still remember towards the end of Keane’s career when he was on his last legs there was a game when he went in really hard on Gerrard in the first few minutes. Gerrard was running around all game trying to get the ball and Keane just controlled the whole 90 minutes by doing the simply things brilliantly.

Viera was one of the most majestic and dominate central midfield players I have ever seen. He was the best central midfielder in the Premiership for the best part of 5 years.

I still feel that Gerrard has that sort of “luxury player” feel to him and you will always have to comprise other players and your system in order to get the best out of him. You never got that with Keane and Viera.

Gerrard is one the best players in the world, one of the most dangerous to the opposition and a reasonable argument can be put forward for him being better than the other two but I think some people are doing a disservice to Keane and Viera when they say Gerrard is head and shoulders above them.

I agree with this but Gerrard at his best isn't at CM anymore imo.  As a whole though, Gerrard at CF and Keane/Viera at CM I still believe Gerrard is better than both of them and a bigger addition to any team.  Like you said though he doesn't have the all around qualities central midfielders should have and his flaws show when he plays there.  Who knows if he has matured at the position he showed signs of it against Everton but he isn't played there enough to prove he is over his bad habits.

I really think we should stop putting Gerrard in the central midfielder category.  He can play the position like many other positions but right now he's a CF over anything else.  Gerrard's curse is being the most versatile player in the world, it has been detrimental to him but right now he seems really comfortable playing behind Torres, moreso than as a CM.
Zidane

Postby Effes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Zidane wrote:I really think we should stop putting Gerrard in the central midfielder category.  He can play the position like many other positions but right now he's a CF over anything else.  Gerrard's curse is being the most versatile player in the world, it has been detrimental to him but right now he seems really comfortable playing behind Torres, moreso than as a CM.

I don't think we can say he is truly a striker mate.

He plays as an advanced midfielder, but i wouldn't say a Forward.

It was Houllier who played him too deep, it was a bit of a waste.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 am

Effes wrote:
Zidane wrote:I really think we should stop putting Gerrard in the central midfielder category.  He can play the position like many other positions but right now he's a CF over anything else.  Gerrard's curse is being the most versatile player in the world, it has been detrimental to him but right now he seems really comfortable playing behind Torres, moreso than as a CM.

I don't think we can say he is truly a striker mate.

He plays as an advanced midfielder, but i wouldn't say a Forward.

It was Houllier who played him too deep, it was a bit of a waste.

Gerrard can play other positions, like Carra can. But to suggest he isn't a midfielder is daft. He plays an attacking support role, but that makes him an attacking midfielder. The only reason I can think of you might call him a forward is because of the number of goals he scores, but that doesn't make him a forward. Some midfielders do score lots of goals, if any midfielder is more of a forward then it's Ronaldo because his defensive duties are minimal, but even then he's still classed as a midfielder.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Alex G. wrote:Gerrard is the most complete player of all of them. His versatility is unique.

Which is why a lot of the foreign coaches in the game don't know how to use him. In the end, he ends up being "accomodated" a lot of the time which is a word which does my head in. Long term for England, it looks as if he'll be used by Capello on the left of a midfield four which is a complete waste.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:00 pm

stmichael wrote:
Alex G. wrote:Gerrard is the most complete player of all of them. His versatility is unique.

Which is why a lot of the foreign coaches in the game don't know how to use him. In the end, he ends up being "accomodated" a lot of the time which is a word which does my head in. Long term for England, it looks as if he'll be used by Capello on the left of a midfield four which is a complete waste.

Good point, he probably is too versatile for his own good. To best use his abilities he probably has to play smack in the middle of the field, however that poses problems of who to play alongside him. We lack goals so play him off Torres to utilise his attacking qualities, we could play him almost anywhere else.

I guess the dream would be for us to play him alongside Alonso in a 4-4-2 or with someone else behind Torres and hope Gerrard still weighs in with plenty of goals.

On the other end of the scale I feel Mascherano is too one-dimensional and would take Keane or Vieira over him any day of the week. I hope that may explain to anyone aware I'm not Mascherano's biggest fan, why I'm not. He can be fantastic at what he does, but for me a midfielder needs to be more adept in his general skills and Mascherano excels at one way above the rest - maybe at their expense. Maybe he's great if the team is flooded with creative players and you simply want to break down counter-attacks, but our attack and midfield is not that flair laden. What can Mascherano do that Alonso can't? And what can Alonso do that Mascherano can't?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Gerrard for me too , by a country mile. Modern day Roy of the rovers he has been for us  :D
  Keane was good too, mouthy git to boot but i just couldnt see him conjure up as many Gerrard wonderstrikes to pull us from the mire  :no
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:25 pm

boodiddy1 wrote:gerrard everyday of the week. Could keane or viera win a game single handedly? NO! Gerrard as a youngster was very similar to both keane and viera but over time his game has changed. he isn't that ruthless tackler, box-to-box midfielder. He could still do that if told to but rafa has changed gerrards game.

However, it depends on the team doesn't it? Evans team needed a Keane, Viera type player. Now we aren't really needing that type of player. More a giggs, scholes in prime player. But, i would ofloved to have seen a young gerrard and keane together. What a midfield.

totally agree , gerrard by a long shot
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 am

boodiddy1 wrote:gerrard everyday of the week. Could keane or viera win a game single handedly? NO!

I disagree, Vieira or Keane could win games single handedly and while maybe not as many as Gerrard pulls us through, that doesn't mean they couldn't or didn't.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 pm

I wouldve been more worried about them pair losing us a game singlehandedly by getting sent off for something daft.  :no
Them memories of the ref bullying by United and Mr stopwatch on the touchline will live with me forever but thats a different topic lol  :angry:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm

What a strange question - can we ever take anyone above Gerrard?

Great players in there own right the others were, but Gerrard is simply - SUPERHUMAN !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion