Gerrard, vieira or keane?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Look at their best cup finals

1996 - Keane, nothing spectacular but dominated the game. Redknapp and Barnes didn't a kick -

2001 - Viera dominated a young inexperienced SG (I'm not holding this against SG in this debate) and dominated the game. If Owen hadn't sprung up he'd have easily been man of the match (he might have been anyway). Excellent performance to control the game.

2006 - SG didn't control the game against West Ham, it was end to end stuff. However, his great last minute goal will never be forgotten and his first wasn't too bad either.

Dominating a game versus vital goals is the real difference.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:I'll go for Gerrard , but keane runs him pretty close . Viera a very close 3rd aswell .

Gerrard just seem to have everything over the other two apart from the leadership bit .

I think you're spot on there. Gerrard's all round game was just a lot better than the other two. If you're looking for a holding player that chips in valuable goals now and again, then Roy Keane comes up trumps well above Viera. As a holding player, there was no one really better than Keane and he did that better than any player including Gerrard. But as I've stated, Gerrard could score lightening bolt match winners from 35 yards and smack raking Hollywood cross-field balls 40 yards to wide areas, where Keane could do neither. Stick Gerrard in ANY position on the pitch, and he'll do a job. Well, save for goal, maybe. Gerrard for me, but that's not to diminish the other two picks which are frankly legendary.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:06 pm

most irish have some english relatives. I wonder if Keane would have been eligible for england, can you imagine Keane and gerrard in the middle? 2002 (sg a bit young but still very good, ) or 2004 (keane a bit old but still very good)
throw in giggs as the englishman on the left and it is not too bad.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion