Gerrard injured - Out for 10 days

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:03 pm

im unsure about the Owen bit. its so silly man. imagine if it was one of our key players who was out for months due to TRAINING! wtf.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 pm

bavlondon wrote:Didnt Newcastle get paid some amount for when Owen got injured before? Anyway it should be extended to include all injuries. :censored: Capello.

:nod

newcastle got between 5 and 10M for all the Owen b0llocks can't remember the exact figure, it was to cover his wages for the time he was out.

couldn't give a toss about tonight to be honest, Germany will show how average some of the Enlgish talent really is
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:Walcott is out for months after being injured in an england trainig session.
its robbery. the FA should compensate clubs when a player is injured during national duty. its not like clubs pay huge amounts to see their players get injured for someone else. the clubs are the ones paying the wages.
and they have the audecity to get the players travel just to do a medical test, which proved that the injuries were valid.
why dont england trust the club managers anymore? are they hinting the players are faking injury?
how does the player feel making the crazy journey to be told something he already knew before. its stupid really. i hate international friendlies.

The best of it is, Dr Waller works for England U21's, and Gerrard STILL had to travel to prove his injury...

If Rafa decides Gerrard isn't playing, that should be the end of the matter, even if there's no injury involved.

F*ck the FA and it's wrinkly-faced punk of a manager.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Greavesie wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Didnt Newcastle get paid some amount for when Owen got injured before? Anyway it should be extended to include all injuries. :censored: Capello.

:nod

newcastle got between 5 and 10M for all the Owen b0llocks can't remember the exact figure, it was to cover his wages for the time he was out.

couldn't give a toss about tonight to be honest, Germany will show how average some of the Enlgish talent really is

Even then I dont think that covered 100% of the wages he was still getting paid at the time. Imagine someone like Stevie on 100k or so a week and they got knee ligament damage.

Maybe once the FA start having to pay out 100% wages an compensation to the clubs then they would think before arranging nonsense friendlies in November. The fact that Capello still asked him to report to training is just a blatant lack of respect to Rafa.

Bottom line is if the club manager wants to he should be able to say no I do not want you going. At the end of the day what if it derails an entire season. Not all the clubs are lucky enough to have so much depth in all areas.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm

yes Bav its very disrespectful to both Phil and Rafa.
i didnt know the physio was working with the under-21 Lando. its just so selfish of capello to summon them they way he did.
and with all due respect to any england fans here, i hope germany beats the salami out of england tonight. club before country everytime.  :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby devaney » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Does anybody know for sure if it was just Gerrard of the injured players who had to join the England party to be assessed. Ferguson, and let's face it because he is Scottish, has been pulling players with questionable injuries for years!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:53 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:club before country everytime.  :buttrock

Like anyone here would really have it the other way round.  :D

Devany I think Terry had to report back as well. Whats even more silly is the fact Capello even said he will do this every time but he didnt call up Rooney or Ferdinand.

Anyway come on Germany!!!! You know up until now I was starting to like England again but after this I hope they :censored: up at the next world cup!

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 am

bavlondon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:club before country everytime.  :buttrock

Like anyone here would really have it the other way round.  :D

Devany I think Terry had to report back as well. Whats even more silly is the fact Capello even said he will do this every time but he didnt call up Rooney or Ferdinand.

Anyway come on Germany!!!! You know up until now I was starting to like England again but after this I hope they :censored: up at the next world cup!

I think the club vs country thing is just a chance for fans to show their "loyalty" and is a load of bull. The two don't play at the same time so players don't have to choose between one or the other, it's just a whole load of hot air over injuries and how fans don't care about England or whoever and don't want their players injured or fatigued by a match they deem less important.

I'm guessing the hot air merchants mentioned who happily cry "club every time" wash their hair or varnish their nails like girls when the matches are on (TV) I guess they just sit at home and jerk off instead of watching the World Cup. Or perhaps they just like to make big gestures to fit in, like it really f in matters whether each person says club or country in the club vs country "debate", the players will play for their countries and what you say won't make the slightest difference.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 am

So gerrard had to go there and confirm what rafa told capello and than make a 3 hour drive back , total waste of time , gerrard should tell capello to :censored: off if he doesn't trust him . Thank god jamie's retired
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Didn't feel there was a need for a new thread so thought I'd stick it in here.

From .tv

Thierry Henry had been in England less than a month when he paid his first visit to Anfield in August 1999.

A stunning goal from Robbie Fowler helped Liverpool to a 2-0 win on the day, but it was the performance of another Scouser that caught the eye of Arsenal's new striker. One born in Huyton, not Toxteth.

As Dermot Gallagher blew the final whistle and both sides sloped down the tunnel, Henry tapped teammate Partick Vieira on the shoulder and asked, "Who was that kid in midfield?"

"Steven Gerrard," replied his countryman. "He's going to be a brilliant player."

Over the next few years Henry and Gerrard would learn a lot more about one another as each set about writing his name in Premier League history.

It wasn't long before a mutual respect prompted an exchange of phone numbers, and from there a friendship blossomed.

Before Henry left Arsenal for the Nou Camp, there were even rumours that Gerrard tried to woo him to Merseyside.

Here, in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, the French ace reveals all about that conversation and assesses how history will judge his mate...

You played against Steven so many times. Is there an occasion that stands out?

There are so many. Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it's all over for you. He's a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he's scored - well I can't even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it - there aren't any. Think about it.

Tell us about your friendship. How close did you become?

Yes, really close. I played against Liverpool and Stevie G so many times, and when you appreciate a player so much and see them at every game, you talk. I always told him how much I admired him and he said the same to me. We exchanged numbers and kept in touch from there.

And do you still speak these days now you're at Barcelona?

We haven't spoken for a little while. I think the last time was at the beginning of the season. I'll text him and he'll reply very quickly.

Is it right the pair of you talked about you coming to Liverpool when you were leaving Arsenal?

Well, it was mentioned but it would have been difficult for me to go to another Premier League club after Arsenal. We talked about it but nothing was in it, really. It was just us talking about our wishes.

Maybe you could come back to the Premier League one day…

No, I really don't think so. In life you can never say never, right; but right now I really don't think so.

How much would you have liked to have played with him?

Oh, so much, so much. That's normal - I would have liked to have played with some others too, but he is an inspiration. He reminds me of Patrick Vieira in that he doesn't talk too much. He just does what he does. He inspires Liverpool without talking. I find it a disgrace that he didn't win European Football of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever.

How do they compare - Steven and Patrick?

They are different types of player. Patrick was a holding midfielder who also had the ability to go and score goals. Stevie G is someone who plays with the ball. He goes to put his name on the scoresheet every game. It is difficult to compare the two: it's like comparing Paul Scholes and Roy Keane. They are both great players but they don't do the same thing on the pitch.

Where does Steven rank in world football in your opinion?

For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt. Okay, he doesn't do the showboating thing. That doesn't matter. The guy is always putting his foot in, always scoring and doing what he has to do to make his team win. That is what football is all about. He is the guy who makes Liverpool spark.

What, for you, is his biggest attribute on the pitch?

Ah, where do you begin? Maybe I would say that when he needs to put his foot in, he does it. Look at Istanbul. He needed to go play at right-back and so he did it. And he did it well. He will put his head on the line and go to places other players won't. I don't know of a single word that describes Stevie G. Even if he is not playing at his best, you know you can count on him.

You don't get many players who play for their hometown club for 10 years, do you?

Well, it happens more in England than in other countries. There is a thing in England where people want to play for their hometown team and be the local hero - be like the people they used to look up to. But it is amazing what Stevie has done and is doing. It's not like he has relaxed for all this time. He has been everywhere for 10 years: putting his foot in, scoring goals, passing and being committed to his club. No one can ever doubt his commitment to Liverpool. He, for me, is Liverpool.

Good article and interview with a player I have a tremendous amount of respect for
I feel we are blessed to have Gerrard in our side.

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:08 pm

Greavesie wrote:Didn't feel there was a need for a new thread so thought I'd stick it in here.

From .tv

Thierry Henry had been in England less than a month when he paid his first visit to Anfield in August 1999.

A stunning goal from Robbie Fowler helped Liverpool to a 2-0 win on the day, but it was the performance of another Scouser that caught the eye of Arsenal's new striker. One born in Huyton, not Toxteth.

As Dermot Gallagher blew the final whistle and both sides sloped down the tunnel, Henry tapped teammate Partick Vieira on the shoulder and asked, "Who was that kid in midfield?"

"Steven Gerrard," replied his countryman. "He's going to be a brilliant player."

Over the next few years Henry and Gerrard would learn a lot more about one another as each set about writing his name in Premier League history.

It wasn't long before a mutual respect prompted an exchange of phone numbers, and from there a friendship blossomed.

Before Henry left Arsenal for the Nou Camp, there were even rumours that Gerrard tried to woo him to Merseyside.

Here, in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, the French ace reveals all about that conversation and assesses how history will judge his mate...

You played against Steven so many times. Is there an occasion that stands out?

There are so many. Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it's all over for you. He's a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he's scored - well I can't even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it - there aren't any. Think about it.

Tell us about your friendship. How close did you become?

Yes, really close. I played against Liverpool and Stevie G so many times, and when you appreciate a player so much and see them at every game, you talk. I always told him how much I admired him and he said the same to me. We exchanged numbers and kept in touch from there.

And do you still speak these days now you're at Barcelona?

We haven't spoken for a little while. I think the last time was at the beginning of the season. I'll text him and he'll reply very quickly.

Is it right the pair of you talked about you coming to Liverpool when you were leaving Arsenal?

Well, it was mentioned but it would have been difficult for me to go to another Premier League club after Arsenal. We talked about it but nothing was in it, really. It was just us talking about our wishes.

Maybe you could come back to the Premier League one day…

No, I really don't think so. In life you can never say never, right; but right now I really don't think so.

How much would you have liked to have played with him?

Oh, so much, so much. That's normal - I would have liked to have played with some others too, but he is an inspiration. He reminds me of Patrick Vieira in that he doesn't talk too much. He just does what he does. He inspires Liverpool without talking. I find it a disgrace that he didn't win European Football of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever.

How do they compare - Steven and Patrick?

They are different types of player. Patrick was a holding midfielder who also had the ability to go and score goals. Stevie G is someone who plays with the ball. He goes to put his name on the scoresheet every game. It is difficult to compare the two: it's like comparing Paul Scholes and Roy Keane. They are both great players but they don't do the same thing on the pitch.

Where does Steven rank in world football in your opinion?

For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt. Okay, he doesn't do the showboating thing. That doesn't matter. The guy is always putting his foot in, always scoring and doing what he has to do to make his team win. That is what football is all about. He is the guy who makes Liverpool spark.

What, for you, is his biggest attribute on the pitch?

Ah, where do you begin? Maybe I would say that when he needs to put his foot in, he does it. Look at Istanbul. He needed to go play at right-back and so he did it. And he did it well. He will put his head on the line and go to places other players won't. I don't know of a single word that describes Stevie G. Even if he is not playing at his best, you know you can count on him.

You don't get many players who play for their hometown club for 10 years, do you?

Well, it happens more in England than in other countries. There is a thing in England where people want to play for their hometown team and be the local hero - be like the people they used to look up to. But it is amazing what Stevie has done and is doing. It's not like he has relaxed for all this time. He has been everywhere for 10 years: putting his foot in, scoring goals, passing and being committed to his club. No one can ever doubt his commitment to Liverpool. He, for me, is Liverpool.

Good article and interview with a player I have a tremendous amount of respect for
I feel we are blessed to have Gerrard in our side.

Top stuff, that. :nod  I know it won't happen but Henry in a Liverpool strip is still a mouth-watering prospect.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Top stuff, that.   I know it won't happen but Henry in a Liverpool strip is still a mouth-watering prospect.

Agreed Bob Henry is an amazing player, for me one the the best the Prem has seen.

I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt as well, imagine him and Nando!

(cue the photoshopping of Henry in a Liverpool shirt:D )

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Henry's a class act  , top player , probably best striker and most consistent of all time in the league . He maybe a little past it but i would like many of us, would love to have him here
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 pm

I think the only way you will see him in a Liverpool shirt would be on FM09 or Fifa :laugh:

Still nice to see him talking with so much respect and class.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm

good post Greavesie. Arsenal got paid 1.5mil for Walcott's injury.
glad the FA is doing somethin about it. but even then, i hope none of our players get injured.
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion