Gerrard injured ? - Just a precaution ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 am

Gerrard pulls out of England game

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has pulled out of the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against the Netherlands because of a groin injury.

Gerrard's withdrawal follows that of Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster on Monday.

"Steven Gerrard will not travel to Amsterdam this morning for England's friendly with Holland on Wednesday," said the Football Association.

"Gerrard has returned to Liverpool as a precaution due to a tight groin."

Foster, 26, picked up a knock during his side's FA Community Shield defeat by Chelsea on Sunday.

Manchester City's Joe Hart - currently on loan at Birmingham City - has been called up as a replacement.

First-choice goalkeeper David James was left out of the England squad by coach Fabio Capello because of a knee injury.

West Ham's Robert Green and Blackburn's Paul Robinson are the other two keepers in the squad, one of whom is now likely to start at the Amsterdam Arena.

Lampard looking forward to Holland test

Green, who has four caps, started England's last two matches, the World Cup qualifying wins against Kazakhstan (4-0) and Andorra (6-0) in June.

Robinson won the last of his 41 caps in a 2-1 European Championship qualifying defeat by Russia in Moscow in October 2007.

Foster has played twice for England, the first in the 1-0 defeat against Spain in February 2007 and the second as a second-half substitute in the 4-0 win over Slovakia in March this year.

He is expected to be first-choice for Manchester United in the absence of regular number one Edwin Van der Sar, who will be sidelined for up to eight weeks after undergoing surgery on a broken finger and bone in his left hand.

Foster started the Community Shield match against Chelsea on Sunday, but was unable to prevent United losing 4-1 on penalties.

606: DEBATE
England has no decent keeper. this is an area of concern for our world cup chances

RockingTheJoint

Following seven successive qualifying wins, England are on the cusp of qualifying for the World Cup next summer in South Africa, while the Dutch, who have also notched up seven victories, are assured of a place in the 2010 finals.

After playing the Netherlands, Capello's England face Slovenia in a friendly on 5 September, before facing Croatia in a World Cup qualifier at Wembley on 9 September.

bbc link

Not good news at all, dont expect him to miss the Tottenham game but what if he does ? We dont have any decent options to go with 2 upfront and with Benny seemingly bound to play the leftwing role atleast until Riera is back we seem desperately short on quality in depth for our attacking positions.. If i were Rafa id take this as a warning sign and work on getting those backup worries sorted out asap...

On the injury, does anyone have any updates or know if hes out of the starting game ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 am

Feck me ace did this really warrant a new thread? :D

I don't think anyone has any updates just yet as the story was only broken less then a few hours ago.
Last edited by tubby on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 am

it'll be a load of bollox anyhow. Injured - my ar$e.  resting before the start of the season is more like it.

How inconsiderate though. the week running upto the new season and international games are played? who makes this sh1t up?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:34 am

bavlondon wrote:Feck me ace did this really warrant a new thread? :D

I don't think anyone has any updates just yet as the story was only broken less then a few hours ago.

fecking hell, at this rate we won't have a team ready for Sunday.  :down:
heimdall

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am

should retire from england and change his nationality to "scouse"
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 am

At last we are doing  the man utd trick of pulling players out of friendlies. good to see .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 am

heimdall wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Feck me ace did this really warrant a new thread? :D

fecking hell, at this rate we won't have a team ready for Sunday.  :down:

A team of 'crocks'....more likely?...we have just bought one to go with gerrard, skirtle, Agger, Carra, and maybe torres?....the treatment room is gonna be busy this week ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 am

Lee J wrote:it'll be a load of bollox anyhow.

well it is in his groin
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 am

we have just bought a crock ?!?! nice to see the guy is labelled already - getting them in early now
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockdakop » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am

We can't afford any injuries to Gerrard or Torres or more than one of our CBs.

It is blatantly obvious that we STILL lack decent cover for Torres, Gerrard and our CBs.  Any injuries to any of these players will weaken the team significantly and with no good cover we may well struggle.

Manchester Utd have good cover options for every position without weakening the team to any significant degree, that's why they have been so successful.
Rockdakop

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

Judge wrote:
Lee J wrote:it'll be a load of bollox anyhow.

well it is in his groin

:laugh: Nice judgie, you being a medical man were straight onto it  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 pm

GYBS wrote:we have just bought a crock ?!?! nice to see the guy is labelled already - getting them in early now

no one has said he's (gerrard) a crock, unless you mean other injured parties !!. however, people do get injured and yes the physio etc will be busy. but it could just be mind games from our rafa, and the injuries are very minor at best

we could also say - who's are biggest threat this season, meaning or interpreted as we are sh'ite!!

get my drift.

the thread title says he's injured - thats it, nothing more than that.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Judge wrote:
GYBS wrote:we have just bought a crock ?!?! nice to see the guy is labelled already - getting them in early now

no one has said he's (gerrard) a crock, unless you mean other injured parties !!. however, people do get injured and yes the physio etc will be busy. but it could just be mind games from our rafa, and the injuries are very minor at best

we could also say - who's are biggest threat this season, meaning or interpreted as we are sh'ite!!

get my drift.

the thread title says he's injured - thats it, nothing more than that.

:wwww

Judge, oh you make me so proud sometimes !  :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 pm

your welcome :D , but i said those things purely for football reasons :D
Last edited by Judge on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 pm

yes i did mean other injured people ie someone had stated that we have just bought a crock hence why i said that its nice to see the guy is labelled that already and that was the post i was refering too and i had already commented on gerrards injury in a previous post and if you had read thru the thread you would of seen that instead of leaping onto my post to critisize it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion