Gerrard doubt for wednesday

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:51 am

Liverpool set to lose Gerrard for Juventus tie

Simon Burnton at the City of Manchester Stadium
Monday April 11, 2005
The Guardian

Liverpool's Champions League prospects were dealt a serious blow yesterday when Steven Gerrard was rated a major doubt for Wednesday's quarter-final, second leg against Juventus.

The captain is struggling to overcome a groin injury troubling him since the 2-1 win over the Italians at Anfield last week. He will have treatment today but, with Liverpool due to travel tomorrow morning, worries persist over whether he will play in Turin.

Gerrard played the full 90 minutes in Liverpool's 1-0 defeat at Manchester City but the injury flared up again on Saturday night. If he is out on Wednesday, then Rafael Benítez, already denied the injured Dietmar Hamann, may have to give Xabi Alonso a premature return after a four-months absence.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:39 am

so the game when we finally get xabi alonso back it the game our midfield supremo steven gerrard is injured, why have the gods not given us any luck this season? other teams would have crumbled with the misfortunes we have incured this season, i just cant wait for this injury ridden yet full of promise season to end
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:11 am

I think it may not be all that bad if Stevie is absent anyway.

I am not saying he isn't a genius with a football, just that even without him we have played well this season, and Wednesday need not be any different.

Wait and see, I reckon it is just a London press attempt to deflate the reds.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:15 am

If it is true, Rafa is gooing to face a serious dilemma. To rush Alonso back and partner Biscan? To be honest, I am not too confident this partnership would work anyway. To partner Welsh with Biscan? To establish such an inexperienced midfield partnership in a vital European night is not quite right. What other options do we have anyway? Partner Carra with Biscan? Partner NUNEZ with Biscan?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby amus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:49 am

a game without gerrard could leave us without a plce in the champions league  :( which isnt good considering the way we played at the weekend.
amus

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:52 am

We beat Bayer Leverkusen without Gerrard in the Home leg at Anfield. Often some of the lesser players step up to the line when key players are missing.

Alonso will play from the start or failing that I'd consider Garcia alongside Biscan and play Nunez out on the right.

Hamann is a big loss to LFC at present as he would be perfect for this Away day in Europe !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:11 pm

Dalglish, whens your flight to Turin?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:41 pm

Gerrard is a world-class player.

However, in the away games I've seen, I've noticed he plays really defensively.  When he's been alongside Didi (who runs no more than Molby!) the team have never got enough men forward and we've not created any chances.  Alonso, Gerrard and Hamann are all class midfielders but someone has to drive the team forwards.  I hope Gerrard and Alonso are both fit AS LONG AS GERRARD GETS FORWARD!
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:43 pm

we'll wait and see...Rafa won't play him if he's injured....but the good news is Warnock and Alonso will be fit.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:58 pm

Dalglish wrote:We beat Bayer Leverkusen without Gerrard in the Home leg at Anfield. Often some of the lesser players step up to the line when key players are missing.

Absolutely,

we will miss Gerrard if he doesn't play but other players will rise to it, just like against Leverkusen
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:00 pm

It says he's a doubt, he could recover.  Who knows it might even be an attempt to lure Juventus into a false sense of security... :p :D
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:10 pm

even if Gerrard doesn't plays .. the rest of the players will definitely rise up to the occassion as its such a vital game for LFC.i fancy Alonso will starts ...
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:12 pm

I dont know about Alonso I mean i want to see him back and in the form he was in before he got injured but conventional wisdom says that a player needs a game or two to get back to match fitness, throwing him in for such a vital game... I mean there are pro's and cons to starting him or not.  We'll jsut have to wait and see and trust Rafa to make the right decision :)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby maximus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:27 pm

From Liverpoolfc.tv

OFFICIAL: GERRARD OUT OF JUVENTUS MATCH

Paul Rogers 11 April 2005

Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of Liverpool's crucial Champions League quarter-final second leg tie against Juventus on Wednesday night after failing to recover from a groin strain at the weekend. 
The Liverpool captain suffered an adductor strain in the final minutes of Liverpool's 1-nil defeat to Manchester City at the City of Manchester Stadium on Saturday and was today ruled out of the trip to Turin by medical staff at the club's Melwood training complex.

A spokesperson for Liverpool Football Club confirmed Gerrard would not travel with the squad to Turin on Tuesday but will stay at Melwood for further treatment. Club doctors are hopeful Gerrard may be able to recover in time to be involved in Liverpool's game against Tottenham at Anfield on Saturday.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:43 pm

perfect, then we'll have the best opition of squad on mid to field against Juventus:

Gerrard, Xabi, Hamman, Kewell

also the best strikers upfront: Cisse, Morientes

WTF!  :x
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion