Finnan arrested

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:44 am

LIVERPOOL soccer star Steve Finnan has been arrested on suspicion of killing a pensioner by dangerous driving.

Defender Finnan - a member of the hero squad who triumphed over AC Milan in last month's Champions League final at Istanbul - is alleged to have hit Henry Nelson while driving his Range Rover.

Mr Nelson, 81, had head and leg injuries. He died in the Royal Liverpool Hospital five weeks after the incident in January.

Irish international Finnan, 29, stopped at the scene and spoke to police officers. But he was not held at the time.

Yesterday police confirmed he was arrested in April and freed on bail to the end of this month. A file on the case has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Merseyside police said: "A 29-year-old man was arrested on April 11 on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after a traffic collision on January 27.

"He was bailed pending further inquiries to appear at a police station on June 29."

The player's alleged involvement in the tragedy was only revealed after an inquest into the death of Mr Nelson opened at Liverpool coroner's court yesterday. The hearing was adjourned.

Finnan is believed to have told other Liverpool players about the crash and is known to have been shocked when Mr Nelson died.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:47 am

:(

Finnan may face death drive charge Jun 14 2005

By Kate Mansey Daily Post Staff

LIVERPOOL FC footballer Stephen Finnan has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, it emerged yesterday.

Finnan was arrested more than three months after being involved in a collision in his black Range Rover on West Derby Road, Tuebrook, which resulted in the death of a pensioner.

But details of the police action only came to light yesterday during an adjourned inquest hearing into the death of the 81-year-old pedestrian.

During the hearing at Liverpool Coroner's Court, it emerged that the footballer was arrested after being summonsed to a Merseyside police station.

He was subsequently released on police bail pending further inquiries.

The 29-year-old defender was arrested on April 11 following the incident on January 27 this year.

He had been driving away from the city centre on the east bound carriageway of West Derby Road when the accident happened.

Henry Stuart Nelson, 81, a retired merchant seaman from the Elm Park area, was the pedestrian and was crossing the road near Boundary Lane. He died five weeks after the incident.

Yesterday Liverpool Coroner Andre Rebello described Mr Nelson's death as "a tragic loss".

He added: "Mr Nelson received very severe head injuries as a result of the collision and was taken to the Royal University Hospital where he remained until his death on March 3. "We must wait to see whether serious criminal charges are brought before continuing with the inquest. It depends on what is decided at that time."

The inquest had opened into the case in March following a postmortem by Dr Timothy Hellwell.

Neither Finnan nor any of Mr Nelson's family members attended the inquest yesterday, but a representative from Mr Finnan's insurance company was present. The hearing was adjourned until July 4.

A Collision Investigator Report was launched following the accident. The findings are currently being considered by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The player is due to answer bail at a Merseyside police station on June 29 where it is expected he will find out whether police will proceed with their inquiry.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said last night: "A 29-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on April 11 on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He was bailed pending further enquiries, to appear at a police station on Wednesday June 29.

"The CPS are considering the case - in the meantime,, the inquest into the death of the 81-year-old has been adjourned.

"The investigation into the collision is continuing. The driver of the car has been co-operating

fully with the police." Last night's news of the arrest means Finnan had the possibility of criminal proceedings hanging over him throughout the European Championships which Liverpool won.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:06 am

its mad. woke up this mornin out the news on finnan, best,and van persie all arrsted.
kopite_1232002

Postby policy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:52 am

How'd he play with all of that in his head?

So what do you think is going to happen next?
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby barnesrush » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:54 am

get him wacko's lawyers. they must be good if they can get that sick puppy clear
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Adebisi » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:17 pm

I also heard Davor Suker has been arrested for murder today but was a hazy report!!

A black day for football!

And is Finnan 29?
Adebisi

Postby Belfastred » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:27 pm

policy wrote:How'd he play with all of that in his head?

So what do you think is going to happen next?

he probably has played as good as he ever did since january.

Hope all goes well for him, but i'll also spare a thought for that fellas family.
Belfastred

Postby 2520years » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Isn't that what Kluivert was done for?

In this country the Max. Sentence = 10 Years jail and/or Unlimited Fine, Obligatory 2Yrs Disqualification & Retest, Obligatory 3 to 11 Points

It doesn't surprise me too much that things like this happen when we spend all out time telling footballers they are superhuman.

He's a good player and he's one of us, but if he's guilty he should be treated like anyone else.

By the way, when Lee Bowyer was going through his trial he played out of his skin, but when it was all over he really went downhill.  I wonder if that'll happen to Finnan.

:down:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:57 pm

it wasnt Finnans fault though the old man walked out infront of his car, I just cant believe that he can be charged with this  :(

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:09 pm

cant get over van persie either being arrested for raping a girl in rotterdam :oops: George best arrested for molesting a 13 year old, its been a crazy day in football :down:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:53 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:cant get over van persie either being arrested for raping a girl in rotterdam :oops: George best arrested for molesting a 13 year old, its been a crazy day in football :down:

Footballers are young lads with no formal education and with lots of money. They have little respect for others and think they are above the law.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:04 pm

We don't know all the facts in the matter. Be careful, British papers are known for their slants.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:30 pm

First I thought that You're making a laugh Ciggy, till I checked Sky Sports.
Finnan - accidents happen to people, It's sad that it was a tragic one, but I'm sure that Finnan will get out with fine.
About van Persie and Best - that's a different matter - rape , sexual molesting of little ones - that's a horror. That's no accident, that are twisted minds of these men (of course ONLY if these acusations are confirmed in court). If they're confirmed they should get hard penalties to show players that in a moment You switch to some good club You're not untouchable and You're able to do anything.

:blues:
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:55 pm

I have a slightly different look at this...I done my final dissertation for uni (just finished btw :;): ) on footballers and the trouble they get into and the reasons for it, so this for me is no real surprise to be honest.
I just feel for the victims in these three cases, footballers are getting worse with the trouble they get into, and it needs to stop because it is detracting from football, just as many thought Tyson was doing to boxing.
The answer is a balance between education and training (football/youth team) when they are still young.
76-1115222408

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:08 pm

At the time, the police said that there was no offence committed. He wasn't speeding, or driving wrecklessly. How come they've decided to persue this? He couldn't have been speeding, otherwise the bloke would have died much sooner (He was 81!). I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just questioning the justifications. I think this is a case of greedy law firms trading off someones misfortune. Facking National Accident Helpline scum. "OOOh, a footballers involved...how much money can we make?". Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sceptical of these things.:angry: :(

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion