LIVERPOOL VS ATHLETICO MADRID - Anfield : 04/11/08, 19.45pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Owzat wrote:Keane playing on his own up front doesn't (seem to) work, Torres on his own is a different story. However, do we really need a DM in a home game we're looking to win? I reckon some managers who I could name would have changed that at half-time if 0-1 down

You mean 2 DM's don't you? In my book both Alonso and Mascha are DM's. Both excellent players but defensive.
heimdall

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 pm

heimdall wrote:
Owzat wrote:Keane playing on his own up front doesn't (seem to) work, Torres on his own is a different story. However, do we really need a DM in a home game we're looking to win? I reckon some managers who I could name would have changed that at half-time if 0-1 down

You mean 2 DM's don't you? In my book both Alonso and Mascha are DM's. Both excellent players but defensive.

Alonso is more creative and attacking than Mascherano, you could play both in DM but whether you'd class Alonso as a DM is debatable. Gerrard can tackle, probably as well if not better than Alonso, so does that make him a DM?

But we certainly didn't need both Alonso and Mascherano, Rafa c*cked up bigtime leaving it until the last 15 minutes before withdrawing Mascherano and even more so because he brought on LUCAS! Why we needed Dossena AND Degen on the bench I don't know, Arbeloa can play LB so surely one or t'other would have sufficed (Degen)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 pm

I would class Alonso as giving more going forward than Masch. I don't don't think Mascherano offers anything at all in that department and is purely a defensive option.
tonyeh

Postby benjy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:45 pm

hey everyone, does anyone think that lopez, their RB, is worth a look at for us? he's in the spanish team - i think i heard the commentators say. and his touch when he took the ball down and pass for their goal was really something. He also looked very composed defensively.
What you guys think?
Get him in place of arbeloa!
benjy

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:51 pm

benjy wrote:hey everyone, does anyone think that lopez, their RB, is worth a look at for us? he's in the spanish team - i think i heard the commentators say. and his touch when he took the ball down and pass for their goal was really something. He also looked very composed defensively.
What you guys think?
Get him in place of arbeloa!

I  think I read somewhere else on these boards that BigMick rated him as well. He too was wondering whether he just stepped up his game against us or if that was a typical performance from him.

Triple swoop for him, Maxi, and Kun?

We could send them Lucas, Babel, and Dossena in return    :D
JoeTerp

Postby KimiK » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Sabre wrote:This is anyway one of the things that make english football different. I don't think it was one of those dives that was planned, he reached before, he felt a contact, and he overreacted, but I don't understand why people talk about that as a crime. In my book, a nasty tackle to the knee or over the ankle with no intention to play the ball, is more of a football crime.

Overreacting, shouldn't be done. Diving? neither, but make no mistake, divings do not leave good players 5 months injured or send them to a early retirement ??? and the refs' job is to deem those situations right, with cards if necessary.

LoL! I though you were talking about your captain, Gerrard.

And Sabre, you are half right on your Antonio's opinion, hes probably far better than Arbeloa, but he has passed a lot of suffering on their 2 last seasons (His sister died due to cancer) and his performance was cr@ppy. But you're are wrong about hes a guy with guts, he is what the latins call "pecho frio". Lot of quality, his left foot is awesome (can pass the ball or scoring free kicks) but it was a long time ago. We expect a lot more from him
KimiK

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:02 pm

KimiK wrote:
Sabre wrote:This is anyway one of the things that make english football different. I don't think it was one of those dives that was planned, he reached before, he felt a contact, and he overreacted, but I don't understand why people talk about that as a crime. In my book, a nasty tackle to the knee or over the ankle with no intention to play the ball, is more of a football crime.

Overreacting, shouldn't be done. Diving? neither, but make no mistake, divings do not leave good players 5 months injured or send them to a early retirement ??? and the refs' job is to deem those situations right, with cards if necessary.

LoL! I though you were talking about your captain, Gerrard.

And Sabre, you are half right on your Antonio's opinion, hes probably far better than Arbeloa, but he has passed a lot of suffering on their 2 last seasons (His sister died due to cancer) and his performance was cr@ppy. But you're are wrong about hes a guy with guts, he is what the latins call "pecho frio". Lot of quality, his left foot is awesome (can pass the ball or scoring free kicks) but it was a long time ago. We expect a lot more from him

Theres quite a few good players in your side i'd love to have at liveprool.. Forlan definately tops the list with Aguero and Simao not far behind.. Maxi is brilliant but doubt you guys would even consider selling him anytime soon.. Pernia and Lopez are both good shouts for the left back spot imo...

Your teams seems to have exactly what we seem to be lacking: quality down the flanks... hell you have so much quality down the flanks that u end up playing a leftback down the right side simply because he's too good to be benched ! Further up you have a choice of Maxi, Simao and Garcia for the flanks and you even had Reyes down there at some point !!
Good luck in the second round and hope we dont have to be the ones knocking you out later on in the competition if both teams end up making it..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 pm

tonyeh wrote:I would class Alonso as giving more going forward than Masch. I don't don't think Mascherano offers anything at all in that department and is purely a defensive option.

Even Alonso doesnt offer that much going forward imo... always too deep and far from the opposition goal to be considered a real threat going forward... compare him to the likes of Carrick, Xavi and Denilson (on paper should be considered similar players) and you realize just how defensive Alonso (or Benitez)'s approach to the game is... Most of the forward play he contributes to is long passes or hopeful through ball that sometimes pay off quite simply because of his quality when it comes to hitting a ball...
Probably my favourite Liverpool player but i think that the only way we can get the most of the players we have at the moment is by dropping Mascherano for a bit and playing Alonso and Gerrard in the middle where they both can play the way they do (whether it be for tactical reasons or just the way they are as players) and we'd still look decent going forward... Macherano is the kind of player who would absolutely boss a game if we were 1-0 up and loking to press opposition as soon as they try to break to our half of the pitch.. his energy and tackling are both great at times and are what make him the great player he is...
Us being 1-0 down and controlling possession and looking to score... thats a totalling different story... he's more a weakness than he is a plus in such cases... he has very poor passing and is often forced into playing negative and nonconstructive back passes or side passes that if anythin allow oppoistion players to organize and close us down better..
Having 5 players in the middle should mean that you get more of the ball but imo with the players we have im afraid that all it'll give us... more possession but no attacking threat...
Too much reliance on Torres could and imo will be our downfall this season unless we decide to be a little more attacking in our approach to many of the games against the smaller sides...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KimiK » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Aguero and Simao are the best players on our squad, when they dont play, our team suffers a lack of creativity and we are unable to create opportunities. Forlan and Maxi are great players too, with goal,  but they are unfit. Forlan is not fine this season dunno why, and Maxi seems to be unable to find his place on the pitch but hes a clever guy that can read the match and take advantage of it.
Luis Garcia is not a football player anymore, dont know what happen to him, but is worrying. Reyes was loaned this summer, and i dont want him to play for us never again. Pernia is totally cr@p but it was great on anfield, i hope this last match was followed by the City's owners or somebody else, and buy him soon. Maniche is a nice player too, all heart. Raul Garcia is a great prospect, the last season was sensational but this year he lowered his performance. Assunçao is a good midfielder too, make things simple.

You have very good players too that every teams would like to have, Reina, Mascherano, Skrtel, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Riera, Kuyt, Fernando, Leiva. Great players and some great prospects

Fell free to correct my syntax or expressions, ok?
Id like to practice writing :P
Last edited by KimiK on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KimiK

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 pm

KimiK wrote:Aguero and Simao are the best players on our squad, when they dont play, our team suffers a lack of creativity and we are unable to create opportunities. Forlan and Maxi are great players too, with goal,  but they are unfit. Forlan is not fine this season dunno why, and Maxi seems to be unable to find his place on the pitch but hes a clever guy that can read the match and take advantage of it.
Luis Garcia is not a football player anymore, dont know what happen to him, but is worrying. Reyes was loaned this summer, and i dont want him to play for us never again. Pernia is totally cr@p but it was great on anfield, i hope this last match was followed by the City's owners or somebody else, and buy him soon. Maniche is a nice player too, all heart. Raul Garcia is a great prospect, the last season was sensational but this year he lowered his performance. Assunçao is a good midfielder too, make things simple.

You have very good players too that every teams would like to have, Reina, Mascherano, Skrtel, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Riera, Kuyt, Fernando, Leiva. Great players and some great prospects

Fell free to correct my syntax or expressions, ok?
Id like to practice writing :P

you can have kuyt and lucas... we'll even throw in a coupla million with them two and we'll take one of : Maxi, Aguero, Forlan, Simao, A.Lopez...

good deal dont you think ?!

And ur writing is fine...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KimiK » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Kuyt or Leiva for A.Lopez is a big deal for sure. No doubts about it :D :D
Ask any atletico fan... (if they say no is because Lopez brought up on Atletico's youngster categories and hes one of us)
KimiK

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Martin Hansson, the referee in charge of Liverpool's recent Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid, has admitted receiving death threats over his decision to award a late penalty to Reds captain Steven Gerrard.

The Swedish referee pointed to the spot in the fourth minute of stoppage time of the game at Anfield, which Atletico were winning 1-0 at the time, for what he perceived to be a push on Gerrard from Mariano Pernia.

The decision cost the Spanish club a place in the last 16 of the Champions League, and has since been derided by many at Atletico and in the Spanish media.

Speaking for the first time about the aftermath of incident, Hansson told Swedish newspaper Sport-Expressen he has had to change numbers and inform the police over a number of threatening calls and text messages.

"I have received death threats. It has been horrible and feels very uncomfortable,'' he said. "I had enough. The phone ran all the time and I had a great many text messages. I am pretty used to this, but now I've had enough. It has been very threatening. I feel completely fed up, quite simply.

"I have always had my mobile phone on and my number has been on the network. Now it no longer works. I'm sad that I can't be as open as I once was. I have notified the police that there have been threats against my life. But it is difficult for the police to prove.''

Hansson laid some of the blame for the threats he has been receiving on the media, who he feels have fuelled the situation.

He said: "I find it odd that it never, or hardly ever, gets mentioned when the referees are doing something good, only when it is something that is questionable.

"Since it has been in all the newspapers it's been so bad. When you make a big mistake, it should certainly show, but when it is rewritten in the days and weeks that follow it becomes too much.''

Despite all the problems Hansson insists he will not quit the game, as his compatriot Anders Frisk did after receiving similar threats following a game between Chelsea and Barcelona in 2005.

"I know that it is not worth getting upset about it, and I'll keep on refereeing because I like it,'' he said. "I want to continue to believe that football can do a lot of good and it would be sad if these dark forces had any influence on me.

"I thought about quitting, absolutely, but I have made my decision to continue. But I never considered it (quitting) as much as right now.''
maypaxvobiscum

Postby SupitsJonF » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:57 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:Martin Hansson, the referee in charge of Liverpool's recent Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid, has admitted receiving death threats over his decision to award a late penalty to Reds captain Steven Gerrard.

The Swedish referee pointed to the spot in the fourth minute of stoppage time of the game at Anfield, which Atletico were winning 1-0 at the time, for what he perceived to be a push on Gerrard from Mariano Pernia.

The decision cost the Spanish club a place in the last 16 of the Champions League, and has since been derided by many at Atletico and in the Spanish media.

What?  They are top of the table, this writer is ridiculous.
SupitsJonF

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 am

SupitsJonF wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:Martin Hansson, the referee in charge of Liverpool's recent Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid, has admitted receiving death threats over his decision to award a late penalty to Reds captain Steven Gerrard.

He even used super massive bold text!  :D
LFC2007

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:10 am

LFC2007 wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:

He even used super massive bold text!  :D

Only so people dont need to wear glasses to read his mistake  :p
SupitsJonF

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion