Dudek's error ... again!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:37 am

Dalglish wrote:Look at Friedel at Blackburn ..... A top class keeper let go by liverpool probabbly cos some thought he wasn't quite good enough  ???

Wasnt there some sort of problem with Friedel being American with work permits as well. He was excellent keeper but just couldnt nail down that no1 in front of James
I remember Steve O who went to Coventry i think being Clemence understudy and couldnt get a look in but had long career back in 80s
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:40 am

OK, LFC#1, my memory failed me but he was dropped after that 4-0 drubbing and was in fact substituted at half time, I think.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:42 am

I think Dudek can improve, it seems that Rafa believes in him. Just because we don't have a GREAT goalkeeper doesn't mean that we can not give a run for Arsenal's money. That just means that we have to keep our defence a bit tighter, Dudek can take care of long-ranged shots but when it comes down to close-distance, tighten up the defence.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:44 am

azriahmad wrote:OK, LFC#1, my memory failed me but he was dropped after that 4-0 drubbing and was in fact substituted at half time, I think.

it's ok, your point is still valid, just thought i would correct you.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:46 am

Well you could get rid of Dudek just like we got rid of Westerveld after his FU but then next guy in might make a blunder as well so then you could get rid of him and bring in the next guy and before you know it we got Fabian Bathtub in goal :D
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:58 am

Dalglish wrote:
azriahmad wrote:Dalglish, after Poland lost by 5 goals to Denmark in the 2002 World Cup with Dudek at fault for at least one goal, I don't think he is an automatic first choice anymore.

Dudek is a good shot stopper, but not commanding and not very confidence inspiring when he fight for crosses. That is why he does not do so very often like Bruce Grobbelaar used to. He reminds me of Italian 'keepers who are good shot stoppers, but not as strong as traditional British ones like Shilton used to be like.

Yeah fair points there but Shilton's not playing anymore  :D

If we could get Kevin Beattie to come back, surely we could persuade Shilton?  :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:06 am

azriahmad wrote:I agree that every 'keeper makes mistakes, but a howler of a mistake seem to happen to Dudek once too often - either that or am I just being too critical?

Whatever, I still am not confident when Dudek's in goal because he is just a howler away...
It doesn't matter too much when you have other players with Arsenal's quality, I hated to say this, but we are not quite there yet, although I am more confident that we have a better chance of getting there with Rafa in charge now. I just worry about us dropping points due to Dudek's tendency to produce howlers out of nothing when the ball should have been claimed by him safely.

Well Dudek is not as bad as James or Tablisi (sp?) at Manure. We ought not to rush out and sign another keeper, now...too knee jerk IMO. We should probably be looking for a central defender first, then another striker to keep Cisse and Baros on their toes.

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:14 am

Dalglish wrote:Dudek wasn't at fault for the goal , the flick on took the ball on a different projecture and Anelka got the lucky ricochet to slot it home .....lets not start the season by becoming boo boys just yet ....

64% possession says it all and LFC dominated. Kept the ball well and created a few chances and most importnantly took 2 of them .

Gerrard was immense (again but i don't want to take him for granted......ever!) , baros was a constant threat and we loked like team with belief and intent. It's encouraging to come back froma  goal down and win , something we have failed to do too many times over the last 3 seasons ....

Well, I like the agreesion shown by Benitez's team, especially in the 2nd half, where we always look like scoring a few more than just two.

With Alonso in the team (and Nunez eventually), I see us to be a bigger threat going forward, and I though we haven't seen Hamann play with so much agreession going forward like he did in the last 10 minutes of the game. Maybe there is more to come from good ole Didi?

Did Benitez ever sat down even for a minute? Poor old Keegan had to stand (too close) next to him just so he could get a glimpse of the action  :)

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 am

Santa wrote:With Alonso in the team (and Nunez eventually), I see us to be a bigger threat going forward, and I though we haven't seen Hamann play with so much agreession going forward like he did in the last 10 minutes of the game. Maybe there is more to come from good ole Didi?

Another bonus of new signings is it motivates good players to do even better, something you wont get if you just sell them and keep expensive bench warmers as cover
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jordantoh » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:11 am

well... i still feel Kirkland wil be our future no.1... of coz after he sort out his injuries and also his health... once he is healthly and gets a few games going... we will have a good and consistent GK, a steady defence in front of him, a world class midfield wif Gerrard and Alonso in the middle, Garcia on the right and Kewell on the left... nt forgeting BAros and Cisse whom i feel will be the top strike partnership in EPL this season...

well saying all tat.. what position should end up?? i think Champions should be enough.. mayb a treble will be nice :cool:
jordantoh

Postby akumaface » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:17 am

The ball got by Dudek was deflected in front of him probably very close by (within 1 or 2 yards of him) while his vision was blocked. It looked bad on TV of course but it was a difficult situation. It was just unlucky. So, take it easy and I'm sure the team will not blame him and we should do the same. I think Kirkland is full of potential but he is not proven yet. What if he also let in couple of goals similar to what Dudek has done? I think most of you would be crying for  a change as well. Sh*t happens to every GK. :p
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Dom1 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:04 pm

cheesecake wrote:Please, no Murphy jokes laza.???

who is this guy supersub?
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion