Kirkland vs dudek - Stats prove dudek is best

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:27 pm

Interesting article on Sky Sports>>>>>

An injury to Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland looks set to hand Jerzy Dudek a Premiership start for the first time since The Reds entertained Norwich at home back in September.

A comparison of the two shot-stoppers' performances this campaign suggest that Dudek's recall is on merit, as the Poland international has kept out 75 percent of opposition strikes at goal, compared to Kirkland's 48 percent.

In fact, no goalkeeper in the top flight of English football has a lower save percentage than Kirkland. The returning Dudek has also kept two clean sheets to Kirkland's one, despite featuring in four fewer games this term.

If Dudek can rediscover the form which saw him concede just one goal in Liverpool's opening three home games this season, beginning against Portsmouth, then Kirkland's absence from the first team could be an extended one.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:32 pm

Kirky has had a bad run. But he is as it stands the future in terms of goalkeeping.
On another note though - Fulham goalkeeper Edwin Van de Saar is out of contract next summer and is rumoured to want a move - we could probably pick him up for peanuts and he is an international standard keeper who is very underrated.. just a thought.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:41 pm

I think Kirkland is the better of the two. He may have stats slightly against him but he does not have butterfingers like Dudek. Dudek was excellent in his first season but since his blunder against manure a couple of seasons ago, he is like a disaster waiting to happen and he does let in really soft goals.

Having said that, none of them are as good as Chelski's Petr Check (wrong spelling but he is such an excellent 'keeper. Cudocini is not that bad either, maybe if he comes cheap, we should try to buy him).
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:43 pm

i'd have cudicini without a doupt.  He was the best keeper in the Premiership last year
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:In fact, no goalkeeper in the top flight of English football has a lower save percentage than Kirkland.

That say's it all. The facts and stat's are confirming what most of the posts to this board have been saying.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 pm

it's amazing to think that we, along with manure and arsenal, are all yet to find a really consistent top class keeper. i think they'll be a scrap for robert green, especially if norwich go down.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:56 pm

a bit of a scrap even if they don't go down
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby polygemus » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:18 pm

it's amazing to think that we, along with manure and arsenal, are all yet to find a really consistent top class keeper. i think they'll be a scrap for robert green, especially if norwich go down.

The thing is....decent keepers that came to top clubs are expected to perform like Gordon Banks, Francesco Toldo, Gianluigi Buffon, Peter Schemichel. And when they don't....
Barthez, Dudek, Lehmann was decent for about a season, but if top class means to perform like the 4 guys I mentioned above then we will be changing keepers every 2 seasons....

i'd have cudicini without a doupt.  He was the best keeper in the Premiership last year

I agree, and he wants out of Chelsea now. Unfortunately a GK is at the bottom of our buy list....and Dudek, Kirkland & Cudicini are gonna do a threesome behind closed doors just to figure out who gets to start the match.
polygemus

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:24 pm

polygemus wrote:Unfortunately a GK is at the bottom of our buy list....and Dudek, Kirkland & Cudicini are gonna do a threesome behind closed doors just to figure out who gets to start the match.

:oh: too much information there :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:38 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:A comparison of the two shot-stoppers' performances this campaign suggest that Dudek's recall is on merit, as the Poland international has kept out 75 percent of opposition strikes at goal, compared to Kirkland's 48 percent.

In fact, no goalkeeper in the top flight of English football has a lower save percentage than Kirkland.

48%? :oh:

i know he's been having a dodgy spell recently but that statistic shocks me.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:41 pm

So basically, if you get the ball against us, have a shot, its got a better than 1 in 2 chance of going in. Very reassuring.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:46 pm

however, despite the stats, i think fergie or wenger would take either of our keepers right now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:08 pm

Doesnt mean it is good enough for us... we need to aim higher than everyone else as we need to overtake them not just pull alongside.
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby nuhi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:41 pm

Hello,

I think that Jerzy Dudek is better goalkeeper than Chris Kirkland at the moment. Englishman is a very talented and promising player, but Dudek has more experience.

Polishman is in great form now. He was absolutely "man of the match" in game France - Poland on Stade de France in November. He stopped Thierry Henry in many actions. It was superb match for Dudek. He also played good matches in Carling Cup.

Kirkland is lately in poor form. He made mistakes in matches against: Aston Villa, Olympiacos and Everton. Kirkland has often injuries, it isn't good.

I'm very happy, because Dudek will play in match against Portsmouth today. I believe that he will play in first team for long, long time.

I also think that Kirkland is a first keeper in LFC, because English press exert very strong pressure on manager Rafael Benitez. Kirkland isn't bad goalkeeper, he could be great player in future, but believe me: Jerzy Dudek is better than Kirkland now.
nuhi

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:59 pm

I feel sick!

Where are the f#cking idiots(AB for one) that said that Dudek is a better keeper that Kirkland . There you go, Dudek lost us points (yet again). People seem to forget why we asked for Kirkland in the first place, Dudek kept f#cking up, remember?

They missed other good chances. We missed too many chances.

I am gutted. :down:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion