Did Chelea "throw" the Monaco game? - Sensational accusations

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:21 pm

Has anyone read the rumours recently that Chelsea deliberately threw the semi final matches against Monaco last year in the Champions League so as to get their hands on Jose Mourinho?

Last week Clauido Ranieri revealed that he was under intense pressure going into the first leg of the semi final against Monaco, the game being played away at the principality.

Ranieiri has revealed that he discovered that Chelsea met with Mourinho in a secret meeting the night before the game and he knew his time was up. He claims that he was desperate to win the CL in a last gasp attempt to keep his job.

I don't know if people remember the game, but I remember it clearly. Chelsea completely dominated Monaco for more than 60 minutes, despite going behind to Dado Prso, and looked like they would ease through the match after Hernan Crespo equalized.

Things went further in their favour when Monaco player Ziko was unfairly and incorrectly dismissed after a tussle with Makele.

The game was there for the taking, yet Ranieri is widely ridiculed for blowing it.

He broughht on two subsitutes, and played Hernan Crespo at right midfield. Later in the game, huge German centre half Robert Huth played right midfield. Chelsea amazingly collapsed and Monaco hit back with two goals to win the match.

In the return leg, Chelsea could only manage a 2-2 draw and thus were eliminated.

Monaco then went on to lose to Jose Mourinho's all conquering Porto in the final.

The speculation and the rumours about the game refuse to disappear.

Ranieri is widely known in England as a coach who made some bizzare decisions, but his substitutions and tactical changes in that game beggar belief.

Accusations of foul play are now beginning to arise, with Porto President Pinto Da Costa now claiming that Chelsea deliberately threw the match as their illegal approach to Jose Mourinho had got them entangled in a complicated web which would have had serious reprecussions from UEFA, who have well known suspicions of Abramavich.

The situation Chelsea were facing was that had the met Porto in the final and had carried on secret negotiations with Mourinho and had subsequently won the match, UEFA would have faced the biggest match fixing allegations in history, possibly leading to a UEFA competitions ban for Chelsea.

Pinto accuses Abramavich and Kenyon of deliberately instructing Ranieri to throw the game so as to avoid any possible legal trouble with UEFA.

Skysports elaborates on the Daily Mail article today at:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....se+feud

The Chelsea/Porto fued dates back to the start of the summer and Ranieri's comments were widely published in the press last week.

Personally, I think the allegations are a bit extreme and I doubt if any team would throw a CL semi final, regardless of the circumstances, although a possibility of a UEFA ban would have been damaging.

Match fixing is alive and well: last week huge amounts of money were placed on Internet betting websites for Greek side Panionos to be beating Tblisi at half time and win the game 5-2 in the UEFA Cup.

Guess what happened: Panionos lead at half time and won 5-2.  ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:25 pm

bull ******, why would they not want to be in a Champions league final?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:31 pm

LFC #1 wrote:bull ******, why would they not want to be in a Champions league final?

My thoughts exactly, the allegations are extremely hard to believe.

Da Costa claims that Chelsea realised that their illegal approach to Mourinho would have had serious implications with UEFA had they come to the surface had Chelsea beaten Porto in the final. Such an event could have led to a UEFA ban from playing in UEFA competitions.

I don't know what happened, and Da Costa's claims seem a bit far fetched, but I remember watching the Monaco game thinking "Ranieri is deliberately trying to lose this match".

Get a video of the game and watch it in full: Ranieri's changes in the second half were far too strange to be merely eccentric, and no top level manager would not have done what he did in a Premiership match, let alone a crucial CL semi final.
Last edited by JBG on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:34 pm

wouldn't surprise me though JBG, the illegal aprroaches that were apparently undertaken went largely unnoticed, and Abramovich is a bit of a dodgy character to say the least, hopefully Chelsea go down the tubes.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:37 pm

Im surprised at you JBG :D Why the hell would Chelski blow the chance of a European cup just to get Mourinho on board? It doesnt make any sense whatsoever.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:39 pm

greenred wrote:Im surprised at you JBG :D Why the hell would Chelski blow the chance of a European cup just to get Mourinho on board? It doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

I'm not the one making the accusations Greenred, its Pinto Da Costa.

I'm only askin' whether other people have heard the accusations.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:41 pm

greenred wrote:Why the hell would Chelski blow the chance of a European cup just to get Mourinho on board?

Da Costa says they didn't fix the match to get Mourinho on board, but deliberately threw it because they were terrified of a UEFA ban.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:44 pm

I think a lot of shady dealings went on behing closed doors at Chelsea last season, Abramovich left Russia to get away from the authorities cos his biggest busiess partner or something has been put in jail, Putin wants to take down these big entrepreneurs in Russia so he has the power and Abramovich fleed to England.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:51 pm

If you read my post again, Greenred, you'll see that I agree that the accusations are far fetched, but it cannot be denied that Ranieri made the mother of all blunders in that game, and that there were shady dealings going on.

Maybe it was a case of the pressure being too much for him (remember his wild celebrations after beating Arsenal in the previous round?) and this hugely affected its judgement, but match fixing has always been part of football (Anderlect v. Notts Forest 1984 or the AC Milan and Verona teams of the early 1980s) and we see another example last week of an unknown punter putting 150,000 on Panionos to beat Tiblisi 5-2 in the UEFA Cup. Apparently there were an unusually high amount of bets on that score and result (and lets be fair, two obscure teams in a relatively obscure fixture), which, you could argue, was a freak coincidence (like Magnolia  :D ) but all those bets also had Panionos to be winning at half time as well.
Last edited by JBG on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Conspiracy theories.......      fun to read but ultimately fictitious in 99pc of cases
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:41 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:but all those bets also had Panionos to be winning at half time as well.

It was tblisi that were leading at half time and panionos winning at full time which at odds of 28/1 was backed all the way down to 3/1 in some bookies before they stopped taking bets. :laugh:

There was also alot of bets on panionos winning 5-2 at 100/1 and they managed to score 2 in the last min. :laugh:

The russian mafia are rumoured to be heavily involved with the bookies worldwide claiming they lost 35m on the match. :laugh:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:56 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Accusations of foul play are now beginning to arise, with Porto President Pinto Da Costa now claiming that Chelsea deliberately threw the match as their illegal approach to Jose Mourinho had got them entangled in a complicated web which would have had serious reprecussions from UEFA, who have well known suspicions of Abramavich.

The situation Chelsea were facing was that had the met Porto in the final and had carried on secret negotiations with Mourinho and had subsequently won the match, UEFA would have faced the biggest match fixing allegations in history, possibly leading to a UEFA competitions ban for Chelsea.

Pinto accuses Abramavich and Kenyon of deliberately instructing Ranieri to throw the game so as to avoid any possible legal trouble with UEFA.

But Chelsea have been tapping up potential signings since Kenyon came on board.He did the same thing countless times with the mancs,Stam and RVN just off the top of my head.Nothing has ever happened and no one even seemed particularly worried about it.Im just wondering why the tapping of Mourinho was any different to the other times they did it.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:28 am

Chelsea=The Real Madrid of England. A couple of more years there will be players full of ego's at Chelsea who will end up playing like sh!t.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:31 am

A.B. wrote:Chelsea=The Real Madrid of England. A couple of more years there will be players full of ego's at Chelsea who will end up playing like sh!t.

Disagree AB, or at least for the moment at least.

The difference is Mourinho, the team spirit he has instilled is incredible.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:08 pm

so was something wrong last season?
i think yes. that semi final was a disgrace. Ranieri may be the tinkerman but this was just stupid, almost everyone out of position. Strange thigns are indeed afoot. i personally hope chelsea lose in something this term or its gonna start to get boring. espeically if they keep buying the players they want.
Real madrid put ina  14 million bid for joaquin, so they just put in a 25 million bit. thats just madness gone mad
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion