Throw-in and the goalkeepers distribution... - Improvement....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:39 am

Much better, i hope to see these things improve even more.

I've been saying for years how long we take releasing the ball and getting it back into play. I remember bringing it up last season on here and got slagged off for it. Under Benitez there was alot of evidence on Saturday to suggest this is something he wasn't happy with.

We didn't see throwers standing around for half an hour waiting to take the throw, they got the ball and got on with it as quickly and effectively as possible. Dudek was also releasing the ball a bit quicker.

I still think this is an area which we can improve even more on, its an area of the game, which, in my opinion, doesn't recieve enough attention.

As soon as the ball goes dead or into the keepers arms all the players should make sure they're switched on. Over the last 5 years we haven't seen enough of it.
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:57 am

Hmmm, interesting.  Now that you mention it, it is a little different.  I wouldn't see it as an area of major concern though.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:40 am

very much overlooked, but quick throw ins and quality distribution from goalies can create goals, so it is definitely worth working on and improving.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:23 pm

I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying that there are other areas we should concentrate on first.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:26 pm

Arsenal have used throwins from the goal keeper to great effect over the past few years, i think thats the reason they kept old man seaman in goal for so long. If you look at many of arsenal great counter attacking goals many start from a quick throw in from the keeper, so i feel it's deffo good that were adding this to our own play :cool:
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Starbridge42 wrote:I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying that there are other areas we should concentrate on first.

i see what u mean..Its more of fine tuning..
agree with stu, this is how u can score on the counter given our fast strikers. Arsenal is doing that very well.
whylongball?

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:30 pm

david james always had great distribution when he was with us. it was definitely one of his strong points that he would start attacks off quickly.

certainly better than that palace keeper on saturday. what a numpty.  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby madred » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:33 pm

Its bad enough to try and take on a striker if your a keeper but if you still cant beat Kevin Campbell you must realise you are s**t! :p
Last edited by madred on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:31 am

I just luv the detail and my comments (for what they are worth):

1 Do we know for sure we take longer at the throw ins.
2. What advantage is there to be gained, especially when we are tired.
3. Surely we are more concerned with how effective the throw in has been, what did we gain from it.

I have to agree that we seem to see a throw in as just starting the game when it cud be used more effective if it became a tactical spring board for a set piece.

Wow did I really rite all this bull?
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion