DEJAN LOVREN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Very disappointed with Lovren so far. Look's nowhere near a £20m defender at the moment. Always seem to get caught in very poor positions and decision making and reading of the game is all over the place. Hope he improves, if not, we have seriously had our pants pulled down with this one
Doeboy

Postby C-R » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Doeboy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:02 pm wrote:Very disappointed with Lovren so far. Look's nowhere near a £20m defender at the moment. Always seem to get caught in very poor positions and decision making and reading of the game is all over the place. Hope he improves, if not, we have seriously had our pants pulled down with this one

Nicely put mate, 'especially' after today's performance, the guy looks totally out of his depth
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Can't agree with the stick he's getting. He's a good defender who defends very differently to what we've seen before. If we had a better defence around him he'd be more than good enough. Skrtel hangs everyone out to dry and the full backs are woeful. Not even mentioning the keeper. The midfield doesn't exactly protect the defence in any way either but thats another story.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:47 am

There's probably a decent defender in him somewhere but he is just way too impetuous ATM, he continually dives into challenges that he can't win which more often than not leaves him stranded on the wrong side of players and out of position. He nearly cost us a goal again today when he was last man by diving in at Obertan out wide and getting nowhere near the ball or the player.
He seems to have no concept at all of what it means to be the last line of defence, instead of trying to buy time and jockeying a player until reinforcements arrive he just goes into kamikaze mode and dives right in.
If he starts to use his loaf a bit by picking and choosing when to go for the ball and staying on his feet a bit more he may turn into a decent defender but at the moment my hearts in my mouth every time I see him charging head down towards the ball. I can't say he's been a big disappointment though because I wasn't expecting much.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:54 am

Doeboy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:02 pm wrote:Very disappointed with Lovren so far. Look's nowhere near a £20m defender at the moment. Always seem to get caught in very poor positions and decision making and reading of the game is all over the place. Hope he improves, if not, we have seriously had our pants pulled down with this one

Have to agree.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:38 am

Stu the Red » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 pm wrote:Can't agree with the stick he's getting. He's a good defender who defends very differently to what we've seen before. If we had a better defence around him he'd be more than good enough. Skrtel hangs everyone out to dry and the full backs are woeful. Not even mentioning the keeper. The midfield doesn't exactly protect the defence in any way either but thats another story.

Stu i'm the last person to defend Skerel and I've been writing for ever on our DM weakness but  their is no way around it, Lovern pathetic positioning and  discipline ,he misjudges his location compared to the ball and to the player he is covering ,he gets out of place out of position so many times it's just pathetic. He doesn't look good at the moment.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Stu his positioning is awful. And when he makes a tackle he fks up on numerous occasions. Sorry mate just cannot share yours enthusiasm for this lad. He certainly isn't Sami or even Henchoz. His organisational skills don't look too good either. Easy to blame the other defenders but he has done very little to suggest that is  the real reason for his very average performances.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 am

Surely if a coach sits down with him and talks him through replays of the game pointing out where he was caught out of position this could be rectified in double quick time. A good player + good coaching = 30++ million.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:40 am

Reg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 am wrote:Surely if a coach sits down with him and talks him through replays of the game pointing out where he was caught out of position this could be rectified in double quick time. A good player + good coaching = 30++ million.

Very true. I can't help but feel it's the system and tactics that are having a knock-on effect throughout the team. This lad was pretty good for Southampton. We must have scouted him first, hopefully in depth. I don't think Skrtel is all that bad either. But there seems to be no cohesion.
Wish we'd kept Agger. His heart was truly in the job.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:31 am

Reg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 am wrote:Surely if a coach sits down with him and talks him through replays of the game pointing out where he was caught out of position this could be rectified in double quick time. A good player + good coaching = 30++ million.

you would like to think thats the way it works anyway  :D
i'd compare this to glen johnson in he has been so bad up and down that line for 2 years now and he has never sat him down and coached him. he continues to do the same brain dead stuff week in week out and retains a starting place every time.
the whole defense get's no coaching at all from rodgers because they couldnt be that bad and littered with the same mistakes week in week out if they did.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:05 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:29 pm

red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ballotelliman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 pm

i know dossena was a flop but italy has the best defenders full stop and as pure defending has gone out of fashion in the prem why not go there desciglio abate matteo darmian barzaghli bonnucci chiellieni theres loads of great defenders over there
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 pm

I'd say Germany have the best defenders

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Oh…
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext