DEJAN LOVREN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:36 pm

I have been watching him closely since he's been here, and besides a few decent games at the start, he has failed to impress me at all.
He doesnt seem to be able to cope with a big club and fans expectations, which leads him to be reckless and unreliable. He seems to me to be rather eratic and uncomfortable and prone to costly challenges and poor decisions. I believe hes not very good
Thommo's perm

Postby ethanr » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:36 pm wrote:I have been watching him closely since he's been here, and besides a few decent games at the start, he has failed to impress me at all.
He doesnt seem to be able to cope with a big club and fans expectations, which leads him to be reckless and unreliable. He seems to me to be rather eratic and uncomfortable and prone to costly challenges and poor decisions. I believe hes not very good

I feel similarly. At first I thought he looked decent, and that he'd grow into the roll as a leader. He looks devoid of confidence. Even when he's playing well, as soon as he makes a noticeable mistake he seems to go on a straight decline. I'm wondering what happened to that guy who was capable of powering forward with the ball past a few opponents, then putting in a nice final pass. Now he can barely do anything other than try to clear the ball. I do think it has to do with the fact that he's playing on the left side of the back 3, and dealing with more speed and width than he's used to, but he has to be able to adapt.

I'm hoping he can get back to it, especially with Skrtel potentially spending some time out.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 am

Sakho and Kolo are available as back up, by coincedence neither of whom enjoyed their early games with us.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I think the jury still should be out on him and Reg is right about Sakho and Toure. Mind, Sakho can still give me the heeby-geebies when he gets near the ball as I never quite know what he is going to do with it. I'm just thinking back to when Mark Wright was left out in the cold and then suddenly seized his chance against Man U in 95/96 at Anfield. He had become much maligned after a bright start and fallen out of favour but he played fantastically well that day and never looked back - maybe I'm being un-fair to Lovren to compare him with Wright but I think we should properly judge him next year.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:18 pm

He needs to work much harder when he is in the team because he looks a total waste of money. For 20 million quid we should have a starter not a bit part player.
At the moment he hasn't impressed me at all with his overall contribution. His positioning is terrible as well as his passing, Half of the time he doesn't know whether to come or go and has an awful habit of deserting his team mates to challenge for a ball with another one of our players.
If he can work on his overall discipline then he may come good and be a fixture in the years to come.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:46 pm

I think I always found him dodgy. Even when he played his first friendly and people were calling him a possible world beater, and then against Southampton, I always thought his passing/decision-making was poor and he was caught out of position far too often. He seemed very very confident to me, and it looks as if his confidence was making him try passes and positions he typically shouldn't have. 

But. Maybe it's all a confidence thing. Maybe he doesn't get Rodgers' system. Well, I hope he really improves and proves me completely wrong.
kartiek

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 am

Two free headers and the last minute "attempt" only convince me that I was right in March.
Not good enough by a long chalk
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:30 am

He was actually one of the few players that had a reasonable game, yes he f**ked up at the end with that speculative shot but can you blame him for having a go? After all the forwards weren't doing much to get us back in the game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 am wrote:He was actually one of the few players that had a reasonable game, yes he f**ked up at the end with that speculative shot but can you blame him for having a go? After all the forwards weren't doing much to get us back in the game.

Go to Germany or Italy throw a dart randomly ,any CB you hit is better then Lovern. Let's face it we were "stung" by the saints. A CB which is reckless and lacks composure and sense of positioning is a total disaster.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 am

only me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 am wrote:He was actually one of the few players that had a reasonable game, yes he f**ked up at the end with that speculative shot but can you blame him for having a go? After all the forwards weren't doing much to get us back in the game.

Go to Germany or Italy throw a dart randomly ,any CB you hit is better then Lovern. Let's face it we were "stung" by the saints. A CB which is reckless and lacks composure and sense of positioning is a total disaster.

I agree, I still can't believe we got rid of Danny Agger for him, but to be fair to Lovren he did okay yesterday. He was the only one of our back 3 that stood up to the physicality of Benteke and he saved our @rses on more than one occassion (like when they had that 2 on 1 break after one of our corners)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Lacks composure, doesn't seem to know what is around him and his positioning is awful. £20m for him is daylight robbery. Really don't know what the future holds for him. Obviously will struggle to get most of our money back this summer so don't see him going anywhere and the hope is he really steps up next season but got to be honest, I am not hopeful
Doeboy

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:56 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:He was actually one of the few players that had a reasonable game, yes he f**ked up at the end with that speculative shot but can you blame him for having a go? After all the forwards weren't doing much to get us back in the game.

So thats why he had a go? Seriously?
Says it all....
:oh:
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 am wrote:
I agree, I still can't believe we got rid of Danny Agger for him, but to be fair to Lovren he did okay yesterday. He was the only one of our back 3 that stood up to the physicality of Benteke and he saved our @rses on more than one occassion (like when they had that 2 on 1 break after one of our corners)

Agreed
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue May 19, 2015 4:07 am

Study names Lovren as top defender
Monday 18th May 2015 20:43

..Football fans were left scratching their heads on Monday evening when a study named Liverpool's Dejan Lovren as the best centre-back in the Premier League.

Liverpool fans had high hopes for Lovren when he signed from Southampton for £20million last summer, but his first season at Anfield has widely been regarded as a failure.

Lovren committed a number of errors, was part of a Liverpool team that has conceded just nine fewer goals than relegation-threatened Hull and went through a spell of starting one league game in three months due to his poor form.

But the CIES Football Observatory see things differently. Its annual study into the top five leagues in Europe concluded that the former Lyon defender is better than John Terry, Vincent Kompany and Gary Cahill.

Based on its six criterion of shooting; chance creation; take on; distribution; recovery and rigour, Lovren is the 12th best defender in Europe and top of the pile in England.

Paris St Germain defender Thiago Silva is rated as the best centre-back in Europe, with Jerome Boateng of Bayern Munich and Barcelona's Javier Mascherano just behind him.

Despite being involved in a relegation scrap, Sunderland's Patrick van Aanholt is rated as the 15th best full-back in Europe, while Gael Clichy is third and Manchester United's Antonio Valencia fourth.

Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas is regarded as the best "defensive midfielder" on the continent.

Only James Rodriguez is rated as a better attacking midfielder than Chelsea star Eden Hazard. Swansea's Gylfi Sigurdsson makes the cut for the top 15, sitting in 14th place - 10 places above Manchester City's David Silva.

Unsurprisingly, Lionel Messi is listed as Europe's best forward. The Barcelona star tops the strikers' table, followed by his old rival Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Suarez. Sergio Aguero is fifth, Diego Costa seventh and Gareth Bale 14th.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/98558 ... p-defender

:buttrock  :bowdown  :buttrock

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue May 19, 2015 5:34 am

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Must be running the same dud computer program as our transfer committee are using to prospect and buy players Reg......

Wait why I am laughing

:down:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion