Coronavirus and Football

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:50 am

You're in denial lads, the buzz has gone, the back page of the paper is as dull as the middle pages, the country's gone to sleep.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 am

Too much money to be lost Reg
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:14 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ProperMancRed » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:09 am

...hi all from a totally depressed manc,.had enough of this ***** that’s getting manipulated to Fukk,.whatever rises always falls so have we seen the first crack,..if it means going to the match in a few years seeing players on sensible wages and realistic stadium fee(£20)etc,,nothing lasts for ever as everyone can vouch,.is this the time?
ProperMancRed
LFC Basic Member

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Too early to say mate but it's always been the case that the tv rights have dictated the wealth of the game. Remember that the EPL is the global league and our revenues will always be greater than the French or German leagues so whatever the future looks like, we'll always be sitting at the top.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Club Bruges to be named champions as Belgian Pro League cancelled

There we go, precedent set.... other leagues to follow shortly with the EPL crying and screaming that they have to reluctantly follow suite.........

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52138270
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ProperMancRed » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Reg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:35 pm wrote:Club Bruges to be named champions as Belgian Pro League cancelled

There we go, precedent set.... other leagues to follow shortly with the EPL crying and screaming that they have to reluctantly follow suite.........

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52138270

So so hope that’s true and we follow suite and get this damn title that is ours full stop,.just read an article in the MEN with city boy KevBry bitching about why it should be scrapped the ***** wipe,it’s took a global epidemic to shiw the true haters of LFC ...I’ll remember the false neutrals just like the rip off shops when this is over..title please,then Armageddon can commence haha.
ProperMancRed
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:17 pm

damjan193 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:14 pm wrote:
Reg » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:22 am wrote:Guys, lets face facts, the season is over and if the government want to restart behind closed doors or otherwise they're crazy.

The only question is how to break the bad news to clubs they've been relegated, everything else is common sense.

The season is going to be finished properly Reg, the PL and the clubs just can't affored it financially to have it abanoned, and other complications that come from having no winner, clubs qualified for European cups etc.

Also, we have to take a look at other leagues as well, nobody wants to null and void the season, not even Italy, who are more likely to finish it with the current standings than abandon it.

We will most likely finish everything in empty stadiums, maybe even in a single city or region in June and July. Players will be tested for the virus before and after every game, stay in properly disinfected hotels and all that. I'm 99% sure that the season will finish properly, unless this pandemic escalates RAPIDLY.

There’s still 9 games to play though mate, that’s pretty much a quarter of the season, if they start playing games in mid June (which looks extremely optimistic as things stand but you never know) then those 9 games will take us into the beginning of August which is when the 20/21 season starts. Team’s will be playing club football week in week out from mid June to the end of the following May (2 weeks shy of a calendar year).
I’ll be surprised if the clubs agree to that, not that I know all the answers myself, I haven’t got a clue what they should do.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm not from the UK so I might have understood wrong but is it true that our club (and most other PL clubs) will be getting money from the goverment financial packages, or in other words, money from taxpayers? Read clubs will only pay 20% of salaries and the rest will be payed from the goverment. If it's true it's utterly disgusting to be honest, but not at all surprising unfortunately.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:59 pm

damjan193 wrote:I'm not from the UK so I might have understood wrong but is it true that our club (and most other PL clubs) will be getting money from the goverment financial packages, or in other words, money from taxpayers? Read clubs will only pay 20% of salaries and the rest will be payed from the goverment. If it's true it's utterly disgusting to be honest, but not at all surprising unfortunately.

The non playing staff will be getting the subsidised payments, IE: Admin, Cleaners, Cooks etc. The players wont be getting a thing and could be looking at salary reductions in the form of donations to the UK's NHS.

The last I had read was that we are still paying all our staff but that was a few days ago. I doubt we have changed since.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:58 am

damjan193 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm wrote:I'm not from the UK so I might have understood wrong but is it true that our club (and most other PL clubs) will be getting money from the goverment financial packages, or in other words, money from taxpayers? Read clubs will only pay 20% of salaries and the rest will be payed from the goverment. If it's true it's utterly disgusting to be honest, but not at all surprising unfortunately.

The UK government have put a scheme in place so that any employer can furlough staff instead of laying them off and the government will cover 80% of their wages up to £2500 a month. Club are using the scheme and also paying the remaining 20% so they get a full wage despite not being able to work. I'd imagine we are using it mainly for match day staff who would otherwise not be earning anything as there are no matches. It's all become a bit political with government and MPs singling out football. Widespread anger amongst fans but think the reaction is knee jerk and misguided myself.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 am

Ok fair enough, but why would anyone have to be payed from taxpayers money in a multi million pound business? The goverment messures should be for small and medium-sized enterprises which would otherwise not survive and leave people bankrupt and jobless, not to protect the profit of the big boys. Seems to me big businesses don't want to lose anything and hold on to their profit like it's their god given right while smaller businesses and regular workers are the only ones that are taking big blows. Obviously it's not just with football, I was just trying to stay on topic, but it's the same with all big companies.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:34 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:44 am

One thing for certain is this moment will be a point in time where things changed. Clubs will decline, well managed clubs will get stronger and it will be a real test of players mentality and ethos. Teams like Manure with their 90 million per year debt payment will probably feel the pinch more than other teams with no debt. I hope our sound financial model helps us manage the turbulence to come.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:40 am

damjan193 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:41 am wrote:Ok fair enough, but why would anyone have to be payed from taxpayers money in a multi million pound business? The goverment messures should be for small and medium-sized enterprises which would otherwise not survive and leave people bankrupt and jobless, not to protect the profit of the big boys. Seems to me big businesses don't want to lose anything and hold on to their profit like it's their god given right while smaller businesses and regular workers are the only ones that are taking big blows. Obviously it's not just with football, I was just trying to stay on topic, but it's the same with all big companies.

Agree, I'll wait to hear the detail about which staff, but at an initial glance it stinks. As does the PFA publicly fighting with clubs and the government over players wage cuts, sort it out behind closed doors, but it's hard to see why these clubs with huge profits and staff earning 100-200k per week to self-isolate need to take money from tax payers at this time of national crisis.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion