Football focus

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 67-1161385641 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Paul C wrote:Yeah Ferguson is a great manager (it hurts to say it) but he won't stand upto the likes of Clough, Bob and Shanks, it winds me up when Joe Fagan doesn't get mentioned cos the guy was an amazing manager :(

I was pretty annoyed Fagan wasn't on there. I think his achievement in the 1983/84 season is probably the best achievement any manager has made. It was just ashame he stepped down so early into the job.
67-1161385641

Postby joko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:51 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:
Paul C wrote:Yeah Ferguson is a great manager (it hurts to say it) but he won't stand upto the likes of Clough, Bob and Shanks, it winds me up when Joe Fagan doesn't get mentioned cos the guy was an amazing manager :(

I was pretty annoyed Fagan wasn't on there. I think his achievement in the 1983/84 season is probably the best achievement any manager has made. It was just ashame he stepped down so early into the job.

i adore and respect fagan as well as believing he's one of the greatests

but probably 90% of his squad are already kings of europe inherited from shankly. but of course his achievements were second to none
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 am

Joe Fagan took over a job he didnt want, like me he loved the club but i wouldnt want the pressure off having to please you lot ! however it isnt surprising either that he isnt mentioned, if they mentioned what Fagan achieved in his first year it would take the wee wee out of the other managers mentioned !
Agree totally though, Fagan was class, didnt want the job but just got on with it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Dotty » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:22 am

joko wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

but probably 90% of his squad are already kings of europe inherited from shankly. but of course his achievements were second to none

Did he not inherit from Paisley? :suspect:
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:50 am

paisley:
6 league titles
3 european cup's
3 league cups
1 uefa cup

shankly:
1 division 2 title
3 league titles
2 f.a cups
uefa cup

ferguson:
8 premiership titles
5 f.a cups
1 league cup
1 european cup
3 scottish premierleague titles
4 scotish cups
1 scotish league
paisley,the better manger in europe but ferguson has a better domestic record,but u must take into account that ferguson is there  20 years and paisley only 9,6 league titles in 9 years compared to 8 in 20 for ferguson

benitez already has :
1 european cup
1 f.a cup
1 super cup
1 community shield
in only 2 years
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:27 am

Red Dotty wrote:
joko wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

Did he not inherit from Paisley? :suspect:

my bad, yes of course
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:48 am

Yes he did inherit the squad, he also added his own signings to that squad. It still took something special from Fagan and the players of the 83/84 season to pull of a treble. If I'm not mistaken that was the first English treble as well?
67-1161385641

Postby EddieC » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:50 pm

If being in charge a long time makes you a great manager, my vote goes to Dari O'Grady :D
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:13 pm

nobody can say ferguson hasnt achieved anything, but if you look at peterc1992's post earlier in this thread, the ratio between years in charge and trophies won, he cant hold a candle to paisley or fagan.

But if staying as manger of the same club for 20 years is considered one of his 'acheivments' then why wasn't Alan Curbishly (15 years (i think) at Charlton) lavished with similar praise?
crouchaldinho

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:54 pm

yeh,if this debate is about most successfull,it goes to ferguson

longest serving to gradi

paisley has the best trophies to years ratio,if he had stayed longer with liverpool ,he would have won more

ferguson has won alot but i took him so long to do it

he had 20 years to win a european cup and paisley gets 3 in 9 years and benitez has 1 in 2 years
if your saying that fergsuon is the best manager because he is there for so long,well thats nonsense because  gradi(crewe) is there longer and we know he isnt the best in the world
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm

crouchaldinho wrote:But if staying as manger of the same club for 20 years is considered one of his 'acheivments' then why wasn't Alan Curbishly (15 years (i think) at Charlton) lavished with similar praise?

because he isnt halfway up the backside of the media. either that or vice-versa- who's shaggin who here...how about this question.

which of the above is the greatest 'man' ?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sarge » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:Shankly, Paisley and Clough IMO are great managers and the best that have graced the world of football.

HEAR HEAR!!
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion