Champions 2014

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Everton won't roll over but I think that even I won't have a problem scoring against their defense considering their injuries.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:11 am

what to say? we only need a draw to be able to win the title, and gerrard, out of all people, made a mistake that hurts our biggest chance in 24 yrs.
it doesnt look so good for us now, but important not to despair.
i can only hope that we can find comfort in the following verse: " we have fought the good fight, we have finished the race, we have kept the faith".
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:56 am

Not commented on this thread before, reason being is i am a bit superstitious and didnt want to jinx anything  :grinning:

If we dont win the league this season, everything taken into account i will still go back to the WBA game where we were winning the match comfortably and then that lump Kolo Toure put a bog standard clearance into our net

I dont blame Stevie G for the slip yesterday, nor our lack of first class bench, we always knew Chelsea would be a huge obstacle and you knew after 2 mins 30 secs how the match was going to go with their time wasting and 10 man behind the ball tactics. 

I have watched loads of the bottom 4 clubs matches of late and none of them play like chelsea did yesterday, considering the amount of money chelsea have spent on a squad their tactics were 19th century

But for me the stand out moment of this season (2 points dropped) will be the WBA Kolo own goal
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 am

I don't think it's fair to blame the Kolo own goal, even with that mistake we got ourselves into a position where we were 5 points clear at the top with only 3 games left, to blame us blowing the title on a mistake from 2 months ago is a bit much IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 am wrote:I don't think it's fair to blame the Kolo own goal, even with that mistake we got ourselves into a position where we were 5 points clear at the top with only 3 games left, to blame us blowing the title on a mistake from 2 months ago is a bit much IMO.

That's your opinion mate and i do respect that, but it's just my opinion and how i feel tbh

He was falling apart in most of the games he played

I am not really trying to single him out although i guess i kind of am, it's just that one moment that sticks out for me, everyone else (you included) will probably have one defining moment in your mind of where you feel it went belly up and for me it was that moment
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:55 am

Well I feel gutted... I don't know what we have to do to win a league. 
11 wins in a row, most goals scored, most exciting team in the league and on still on course for 86 points yet it looks unlikely that we'll win the league now. 

Just can't see City messing up now.  How small are the margins though?  How important could City's equalizer at Sunderland prove to be?  How costly will Gerrards slip be? 

Either way, we have done fantastic this season but it would be cruel to miss out on the league again.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 am

cardiff-red » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 am wrote:I don't think it's fair to blame the Kolo own goal, even with that mistake we got ourselves into a position where we were 5 points clear at the top with only 3 games left, to blame us blowing the title on a mistake from 2 months ago is a bit much IMO.

That's your opinion mate and i do respect that, but it's just my opinion and how i feel tbh

He was falling apart in most of the games he played

I am not really trying to single him out although i guess i kind of am, it's just that one moment that sticks out for me, everyone else (you included) will probably have one defining moment in your mind of where you feel it went belly up and for me it was that moment

I think your looking for a scapegoat mate not a defining moment. As I said even with Kolo's mistake we had got ourselves into a position where we were 5 points clear with 3 games left. We could have even afforded to draw that game and the title would have still been in our own hands.
We know the true meaning of the word disaster in this club mate so I don't like using the word but in a pure footballing sense yesterday's game was a disaster, and I'm not blaming Gerrard either, his error was bad but we still had about an hour to salvage the title but we didn't even create a single chance of note.
As a team we weren't at the races yesterday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 am

Agreed.

Can't point the finger at Stevie or Kolo for the dropped points.

Tactically Rodgers got destroyed by the special kunt yesterday.

To add to this our tight-arse owners are looking rather inept and stupid for not bringing in re-reinforcements in Jan when they should have. Look at our bench yesterday, what a disgrace!

As soon as we saw Aspas take the field, we all knew deep inside that our season and hopes had just about died.

Also every single one of our starting XI players performed poorly yesterday.

It's soul destroying stuff, but you can't point fingers at any particular individual as this is really a football club induced heart-ache.  :down:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 am

eds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 am wrote:Agreed.

Can't point the finger at Stevie or Kolo for the dropped points.

Tactically Rodgers got destroyed by the special kunt yesterday.

To add to this our tight-arse owners are looking rather inept and stupid for not bringing in re-reinforcements in Jan when they should have. Look at our bench yesterday, what a disgrace!

As soon as we saw Aspas take the field, we all knew deep inside that our season and hopes had just about died.

Also every single one of our starting XI players performed poorly yesterday.

It's soul destroying stuff, but you can't point fingers at any particular individual as this is really a football club induced heart-ache.  :down:

I wouldn't blame Brendan either, Mourinho is being made out to be some sort of tactical genius but he is just lucky that he's caught us at a time when our squad is being stretched to its limit by injury, suspension, fatigue and a bit of poor form.
Luis has been unbelievable but over the last month or so he isn't the same player that was slaloming in and out of defenders like Franz Klammer earlier on in the season, Infact I can't recall the last time he tried a tight turn without falling over. He's looked tired for a while.
It's also been noticeable that a lot of our goals lately have come from players other than our 2 strikers, the front paring haven't been firing on all cylinders and practically every game in this run in has been followed by a post mortem discussing who's been the most selfish.
Our much vaunted pressing game that strangled teams in their own half and was a big part of our success has dropped off in recent weeks too.
That's not a case of Mourinho being a tactical genius it's a case of us running on empty and not having the resources to fill the gaps appearing in our team. We've been on a great run but we weren't smashing teams like we were earlier on in the season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby mgabby » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 am

Let's not lose hope! Just a few weeks ago we were happy with 4th place, and here we are,
so close to win it all.
In a way, we had many things this year going our way. Somehow I have a filling that if
we win our 2 games, everything else will be OK. I guess Everton is our best bet for that...

Down 0-3 in Istanbul we had about 1% to win the cup... Now it's 40-50%...
Lets keep the faith!

:buttrock
mgabby

Postby Penguins » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 am

It pains me to say it but Everton is our only realistic hope. City has been very good at home all season and Villa+West Ham has absolutely nothing to play for.
We need a miracle
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 am

still gutted after that  :down: 
we just should have parked our own bus and sat waving out the windows at them in theirs  :D  turned it into even more of a drab affair than it was.
the pain of this will stick for a while and all i can hope for is that we make sure it goes to the wire and city need their goal difference
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 pm

For me there are 3 results that defined our season. Hull A. Southampton H and villa H. Had we won them games we would be champions. But whatever the outcome what a fantastic season we,'ve had. Also we reached our target of returning to the CL. I also have a feeling that Everton will get a result next Saturday. Now that would be ironic
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Well I still cling on to what little hope exists.

There's two scenario's in which we take the title. only one of which we control.

Scenario 1 - Man City drop points and we win our remaining games

City play Everton (A), Aston Villa and West Ham (H). Aston Villa need a win to secure safety and Everton are still battling for 4th. Both potential banana skins for City. The pressure is now on City.

Scenario 2 - We win our remaining games and win the league on goal difference

Essentially meaning we need to make up the current 6 goals deficit and match or beat any winning margins City make in their remaining games. Highly unlikely.

However it is the only thing we can do to help our chances. If we could make 4 or 5 up against Palace, we would be left with having to make the same against Newcastle at home.

Piece of p!ss.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm

If I had to pick one game that I would say cost us... I would go with Newcastle. 
We were level at half time with an extra man.  Should have finished them off and those extra 2 points probably would have won us the league. 

As Yakka pointed out though, it was still in our hands.  We just needed to draw with Chelsea. 

If I am being blatantly honest, we've scraped across the line a few too many times lately against the likes of Sunderland, Norwich and West Ham.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion