Bitter b@stards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue May 10, 2005 10:26 am

What a bitter horrible shower of :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry
There in europe now but they still cant enjoy it, without having a dig at us, they deserve f@ck all oh god I really hate them :angry:

John Clucas

Champions League — Who's Laughing Now?
9 May 2005

THE FOLLOWING MAIL WAS FORWARDED TO RADIO5 LIVE AND TALK SPORT:

I know I can speak for many Evertonians when I say that I shall be desperately hoping for a Milan victory in the forthcoming European Champions' League final.  Mutual respect may have once existed between the supporters of both clubs but events from the 1980s have left a bitter taste in the mouth of many Evertonians which still exists today.  The demise of Everton from the mid-1980's was directly caused by one reason only.  The disgraceful behaviour of Liverpool supporters at Heysel and the subsequent banning of English clubs from European club competitions was a sporting disaster from which Everton Football Club never recovered.

The direct effect at the time on Everton Football Club was:

To lose it’s most successful ever manager in Howard Kendall who sought the lure of European competition.
To lose key players in the form of Lineker, Stevens, & Steven for the same reason.
To lose the ability to replace ageing greats such as Reid, Bracewell, Southall, Ratcliffe etc. for the same reason and not have the glamour and attractions of London as an alternative lure.
As someone who had previously respected the achievements of Liverpool FC, it was infuriating beyond words to be prevented from achieving similar success due to the actions of the very same supporters.  One of the abiding memories of my school years was to be accosted every Monday morning at the school gates by a certain fellow pupil who couldn’t wait to rub the usual general outcome of the weekend i.e. how Liverpool had won and Everton had lost.  It now seemed that after waiting for 20 years we would now get the chance to enjoy a period of success and dominance in the same way as they had but as we now know, we never got the chance.  And in an era now of billionaire backers the opportunity to see Everton once more dominate is I doubt one that I will never live to see again.

However, it was subsequent behaviour of Liverpool Football Club and Kopites supporters which has caused me bitter lasting resentment.  Both religiously remember and observe the Hillsborough tragedy but until recent events Heysel has been completely airbrushed out of the club's history and it was only the inconvenience of recently being drawn against Juventus that forced both to have to come to terms once again with their embarrassing past (when was the last occasion any memorial or minutes silence for Heysel had been arranged by Liverpool FC?).  If those campaigning for ‘Justice for the Hillsborough 96’ demonstrated a fraction of the sympathy for the Italian supporters they murdered at Heysel that they expect to similarly receive for the Hillsborough disaster, Liverpool supporters in general might receive a great deal more respect from many Everton supporters.  From recollection the only player or official from the club to apologise to Everton FC was Phil Neal.  It was entirely coincidental of course that his testimonial had been arranged against the current Everton side just prior to the start of the new season and he stood to lose out financially in a big way if the offer of participation were withdrawn.

Both club and supporters vociferously blamed everyone and everything for the tragedy except the actions of their won supporters.  The Italian supporters, the Belgian police, the infrastructure of the ground, even Southern Brits (despite the fact Liverpool have a huge national following their years of success – just listen to any national phone to hear the geographic diversity of their support) were all blamed, in fact anyone except themselves.  But it was how the dead Italians were barely cold in their coffins before the ‘wonderful’ Kopite following was bleating to be allowed once more to participate in European competition, without the slightest hint of shame of guilt about recent events, which turned my stomach.  Many supporters would have been thoroughly ashamed to show their faces but Kopites arrogantly drunk on their years of success (similar to Man Utd supporters following the Cantona episode) considered themselves to be above criticism and reproach.

Finally I would like you consider what would be the consequences were Heysel to happen in today’s era of litigation?  The reaction of the likes of Messrs Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and Abramovic etc. deprived of their Champions League participation would prove very interesting.  Similarly do you honestly think the money-men at Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal would simply stand back and turn a blind eye to the prevention of such income and brand exposure?  I think not!  The writs would have been flying thicker than during a ‘Posh and Becks’ tabloid saga and the lawyers would have had a field day. Liverpool FC could expect to be been hit with crippling claims for compensation so in the context of the time they should consider themselves as having got off very extremely lightly.

So it is now hugely ironic how Everton FC may now prevent Liverpool FC from playing at the top level of European football.  But after all, its something as Evertonians we know all.  The only disappointment in qualifying this time is that we may enter with a vastly inferior squad to the one we had last time we thought we would be taking part.

The best of British to AC Milan.

A very, very bitter Evertonian blue nose and proud of it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:33 am

Believe it or not, most Evertonians I know (of which there admittedly aren't that many....) hate that bitter tag they are given.  They're mainly family and friends but they are all decent people who don't wear blue-tinted specs and will reason with you when discussing the Liverpool and Everton rivalry. 

But some just make themselves look like idiots don't they?  The post above proves my case
jonnymac1979

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Tue May 10, 2005 10:33 am

I'm just gonna say $%#^*@#^$@*#@~#&*$#^)@. :angry:
Bunch of s*ity accusations. :angry:
How can a Brit say something like : "The best of British to AC Milan.". It's beyond me !!
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 10, 2005 10:36 am

"blub blub blub - oh we are so badly done to because we went down hill fast in the 80's and it was all Liverpool's fault with them been so successful and all ....."

What are you on about?? Did you sleep in during the 80's?? Everton's demise was caused by EVERTON! Even if you did get into the European Cup you'd of been knocked out straight away, just like you will this year. - ha ha
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Erica » Tue May 10, 2005 10:56 am

In most of the European cities that have 2 teams in their main football league they hate each other's guts. In Spain there are three examples: Betis-Sevilla; Real Madrid-Atco. Madrid and Barcelona-Español. In the Italian capital, which is the place where I live, I was very surprised to see the hatred that supporters of Roma and Lazio have for one another.
That article of that evertonian is not fair, because everybody knows that Liverpool supporters are the first people to be sorry for something that happened so long ago.
Erica

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:56 am

In 1986 the self described 'Best Team In Europe' from the blue quarter of Merseyside:

*Finished Runners-Up in the League to Liverpool
*Finished Runners-Up in the FA Cup to Liverpool
*Finished Runners-Up in a specially designed one-off competition as a consolation to the clubs who would have participated in Europe having qualified in 1985 called the Screensport Super Cup (by the way losing 0-6 to Liverpool)

They conveniently forget about that though don't they?  They didn't cope with Liverpool in the league in the second half of that season, plus they talk about going on an era of domestic dominance.  They were managed by Kendall and I'm sure John Bailey was on their staff, a pair of self-destructive alcoholics.  It wouldn't have lasted.  It didn't last. 

Lineker wasn't about to turn down Barcelona who were a penalty shoot out from being crowned European Champions.

Kendall replaced all their players with the calibre of Neil Adams, Paul Power, Paul Wilkinson and Ian Wilson.  Exactly.

So if you know your history, it's enough to make your heart go OH OH OH OH......

Any Blues reading, check your history who sang that song first.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ciggy » Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 am

This statement proves how scared they are, knowing they wont get anywhere :D
The only disappointment in qualifying this time is that we may enter with a vastly inferior squad to the one we had last time we thought we would be taking part.
Rooney and Gravesson left them aswell to go to better clubs, and that they cant blame Liverpool for :eyebrow
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue May 10, 2005 11:01 am

I don't even rise to Evertonians cos I know that their a sh1t3 club who shouldn't even compare themselve to the mighty reds, take no notice of these bitter pr1ck5 :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:06 am

they think suddenly they have become a good team, they dont realise that they are just the best of a very poor bunch, c'mon they are closer to the bottom than the top
112-1077774096

Postby andy_g » Tue May 10, 2005 11:18 am

ridiculous claims. so everton were the only ones to suffer from lack of european football, wallowing in their sorrow, while liverpool, manure, arsenal, chelsea etc etc just got on with it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 10, 2005 12:30 pm

George Burley made a cracking quote yesterday

He told BBC Sport: "Everton and Bolton have to be a little bit wary.

"Europe can have an adverse effect when you're not a big club. The extra games can bring disadvantages as well."

Cracker Image
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Tue May 10, 2005 12:39 pm

Yeah I saw that on teletext and had a little chuckle to myself about irate blush*te fans getting all bitter cos deep down they know they're not a big club

And as for it being Liverpool's fault that Everton are sh1t - I've heard it all now!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue May 10, 2005 1:37 pm

I think theyve done remarkably well to get 4th place and should be proud of their team.

IMO the premiership unsettled Everton as Manure reacted better than any other club to the new direction the game took. Everton and us to be honest did lag behind commercially. It was the increase in television money that put paid to some clubs.

From the litigation point of view. If Heysel happened this year I agree that big clubs probably would take legal action over loss of revenue, but if this happened in 1985 it would have opened a huge can of worms about the suitability of the stadium, ticketing, who actually started the missile throwing, policing etc.  It could then be argued in a legal point of view that overall responsibility for stadium safety lies with the authorities. 

The ban was encouraged by the government at the time who had to have their scapegoat as long as it was a working class city and as fortune had it it was a working class militant city who "ran amok" so hey presto bans all around.  In todays climate there would be at least a thorough investigation of the events and why the disaster took place. But then again without the disasters during the eighties there would have been nothing to learn from.

Its a real shame that a horrific incident is still used as the reason for their decline.  Manure on the other hand who lagged behind Everton at the time came through good in the nineties.  Maybe a clued up board and a decent manager will prevail whatever the circumstances.  Lets look at succesful clubs over the last thirty years, did they have boards who were commercially sound and managers who were highly regarded. = YES THEY DID

Ranieri had the Ruskis money
Blackburn after Kenny left. Werent they still minted for a while
Look at us with Souness to Houllier
Newcastlehave spent loads over the years where are their titles and trophies

To have qualified for the CL after losing their two best players and being tipped for relegation is a great achievment that should not be belittled by petty one visioned arguments.  I hgenuinely hope you do well and beat the champions of Iceland so you qualify for the group stage
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 10, 2005 1:47 pm

......and then get pummelled 11-1 on agg by a team of swedish farmers. 'ave it!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 pm

They also say that not playing in Europe led to their downfall yet in 1987 they won the league handily enough, TWO YEARS INTO THE HYSEL BAN.

Everton had only themselves to blame as they misspent a lot of money at the end of the 1980s, on guys like Norman Whiteside and Tony Cottee.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion