Best startint 11 - Using current squad members

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

:D  Saint

i remember how some were worried who Carra's and Hyypia's replacements were gonna be. now one of their replacements might be leaving. our defence and right wing is an area we need to improve unless we see more of Darby, Hammill and we've been linked  to players like Heskey and Turner. not exactly the kind of players who would make any significant improvement on what we've already got.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote: :D  Saint

i remember how some were worried who Carra's and Hyypia's replacements were gonna be. now one of their replacements might be leaving. our defence and right wing is an area we need to improve unless we see more of Darby, Hammill and we've been linked  to players like Heskey and Turner. not exactly the kind of players who would make any significant improvement on what we've already got.

The problem is if we can't afford to offer a top player at the club a good contract, how are we supposed to attract top players to the club. Are we going to be stuck with the Heskeys of this world?
account deleted by request

Postby GRAHAM01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:19 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:we've been linked  to players like Heskey and Turner. not exactly the kind of players who would make any significant improvement on what we've already got.

i was watching a programme this morning on sky channel 442 it was showing the end of season games for 2001/02 and heskey played really well in what they showed he was strong winning the ball playing good passes, for the love of me i can not remember him playing like that but he was

it was the game we lost and chavski got four place and in to the champ league gerrard got sent off near the end and baros could have scored but he hit it with his hand so he could have a easyier shot

so anyway if we get that heskey we will win the league no probs  :eyebrow
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:44 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
s@int wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:Yuri Zhirkov the russian left side player who plays for CSKA

he is actually capable of playing in the left wing and also leftback.. heres a video of his goal which was voted best goal of the tournament recently.

here

Did he play left back in the Euro's ? I remember they had a cracking player at left back.

yup that is him. i just feel that if we're gonna let one of the best defensive prospects in europe leave, we better have someone of equal if not better quality as a replacement. Carra and Hyypia arent getting any younger, Aurelio and Degen are always injured. we only have Arby, Skertel and Insua left. and Hobbs for all the rave ratings he's got when he came as a teen prospect doesnt seem to be having any future.

hold on now...  ??? ... centre backs and full backs are totally different animals... I can't make sense of what you're trying to say... are you saying because we're gonna lose Agger, we need to get this zhirkov guy?

im talking about the defence in general. and if you scroll up you'll see i suggested selling Dossena and also in the post you quoted i mentioned how Aurelio is often injured leaving only Insua. so ''this Zhirkov guy'' would be a good replacement for both of them. and as for central defence, we've been linked to Dmytro Chygrynskiy and ive no clue who he is other then Barca is tracking him too.

:D  ok ok!...

as for your other post regarding Agger... I don't even understand WHY we're even thinking about selling him... Agger IMO is a much classier football player then Skrtel... Skrtel is more defensive I agree but Agger is no slouch either and offers much more going forward... IMO it's a big mistake... Agger + Skrtel combined we'll be set for another 8 years or so... it's probably the wage demands and this is where the deadlock is... from managment point of view it is correct that we cannot be paying him 70k a week for a player who was injured for one whole season and just got back... but surely they can negotiate and 60k a week sounds just bout right?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:46 pm

s@int wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
s@int wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:Yuri Zhirkov the russian left side player who plays for CSKA

he is actually capable of playing in the left wing and also leftback.. heres a video of his goal which was voted best goal of the tournament recently.

here

Did he play left back in the Euro's ? I remember they had a cracking player at left back.

yup that is him. i just feel that if we're gonna let one of the best defensive prospects in europe leave, we better have someone of equal if not better quality as a replacement. Carra and Hyypia arent getting any younger, Aurelio and Degen are always injured. we only have Arby, Skertel and Insua left. and Hobbs for all the rave ratings he's got when he came as a teen prospect doesnt seem to be having any future.

hold on now...  ??? ... centre backs and full backs are totally different animals... I can't make sense of what you're trying to say... are you saying because we're gonna lose Agger, we need to get this zhirkov guy?

I think he's talking about quality not positions. We are losing a top quality defender (center back) bring in a top quality player in Zhirkov (left side)and maybe we won't feel the loss of quality the same.

I don't think he means as a straight replacement  :D

Edit .... you beat me to it Maypax  :D

:D ... I agree though that zhirkov does look quality
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Zirkhov is a quality player but wouldnt our money be best spent looking to bolster the right side as we got the left pretty decent at the moment
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:31 pm

GYBS wrote:Zirkhov is a quality player but wouldnt our money be best spent looking to bolster the right side as we got the left pretty decent at the moment

true... and I would still look out for an attacking creative player in the mould of deco/diego
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 pm

here

yes please, if he can do that regularly then we should get him  :D
heimdall

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:04 pm

maguskwt wrote:
GYBS wrote:Zirkhov is a quality player but wouldnt our money be best spent looking to bolster the right side as we got the left pretty decent at the moment

true... and I would still look out for an attacking creative player in the mould of deco/diego

that should be our priority
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Owzat wrote:subject matter = "Starting XI", you've added a bench and yet only put five players on it - what's that about?

For me the best XI is :

GK Reina
RB Arbeloa
LB Insua/Aurelio (close call for me)
CB Carragher
CB Skrtel (Hyypia if we need more aerial presence)
RM Kuyt
LM Riera
CM Alonso
CM Mascherano
AM Gerrard
CF Torres

Subs : Cavalieri, (one of) Agger/Hyypia, Lucas, Benayoun, El Zhar, Babel (not just to replace Riera), Keane

I think it's our best/most effective formation, there's little evidence Keane and Torres in a 4-4-2 is better. I might use a 4-4-2 against teams we should be beating, probably replace Mascherano with Keane and put N'Gog on the bench in Keane's stead. That plays all our best players in their best position (not saying all XI are our best players, just that we play all our best players and they are all in their best roles), leaves something on the bench to bring on and change the game - sometimes the bench is pretty lame looking - with scope to change the formation. I might put Aurelio on the bench in place of either Benayoun or El Zhar if Insua starts, we always have the option to move Carra or Arbeloa to a different position defensively which is why I've left the bench light of defenders. Sadly Rafa brings on Babel as a LM to replace Riera a lot, I am not a fan of that and see it as a wasted substitution.

That is the best 11 right now.

Against some teams I think Babel or Benayoun could play right/left mid. Otherwise you're spot on.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby justyna » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:04 pm

--- Reina ---
Arbeola --- Carra --- Agger --- Insua
Kuyt --- Alonso --- Mascherano --- Riera
         ---- Gerrard ----
                         ---- Torres----
justyna

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:47 am

Against a team that has a fair shot at beating us:

Reina
Arbeloa      Carra        Agger     Aurelio
Kuyt       Mascherano  Alonso   Riera
                         Gerrard
                        Torres

against teams that are going to be of minimal threat to   beat us:
                                Reina
         Carra                 Hyypia           Agger
                    Mascherano       Alonso
Kuyt                                                            Insua
                  Gerrard                   Keane
                                  Torres         

Subs if we aren't winning: Riera for Insua,  Babel for Keane, Yossi for Mascherano
JoeTerp

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 am

s@int wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote::D  Saint

The problem is if we can't afford to offer a top player at the club a good contract, how are we supposed to attract top players to the club. Are we going to be stuck with the Heskeys of this world?

good point. even rafa's contract isnt finalized yet i think but i think that is due to control rather then finance? i guess we have to sell to buy then. unless a new buyer comes in for us.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:42 am

JoeTerp wrote:against teams that are going to be of minimal threat to   beat us:
                                Reina
                    Mascherano       Alonso
                                  Torres         

Subs if we aren't winning: Riera for Insua,  Babel for Keane, Yossi for Mascherano

So are you playing Kuyt as a RWB or Insua as a LM?

Why if teams pose "minimal threat" to us would you play two midfielders in a holding role? Surely by virtue of them not posing a threat you'd include a more attacking set up, while you may have only three CBs on the pitch you have a full back in midfield/at LWB and two holding midfielders

And I'm somewhat surprised you left Riera out
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 am

Owzat wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:against teams that are going to be of minimal threat to   beat us:
                                Reina
                    Mascherano       Alonso
                                  Torres         

So are you playing Kuyt as a RWB or Insua as a LM?

Why if teams pose "minimal threat" to us would you play two midfielders in a holding role? Surely by virtue of them not posing a threat you'd include a more attacking set up, while you may have only three CBs on the pitch you have a full back in midfield/at LWB and two holding midfielders

And I'm somewhat surprised you left Riera out

i think if your looking to play a set up like that it should look something like this

reina

-- carra  -     - skittle  -     -  agger --

<mash>

alonso

kuyt/babel                                        riera

gerrard 
                              keane

torres

not sure if it would work out but i wouldn't mind seeing it tried
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<