Benitez angry with kewell advisors

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:54 am

He is correct in what he says Liverpool DO pay his wages, HE does play for LIVERPOOL, and WE need him now more than ever. Out of form or not we have missed him on the wing.

BENITEZ FURY OVER KEWELL'S ADVISORS

Rafael Benitez has reacted angrily to suggestions from Harry Kewell's controversial agent that the player should be resting, as Rafa formulates his team for tonight's crucial game against Bayer Leverkusen.

Kewell, who has been struggling to overcome injuries to his groin and Achilles, is likely to return as a front-runner in the first leg against the Germans after an absence of two months. The manager of Australia's national side, Frank Farina, and the former Leeds United player's agent, Bernie Mandic, have both expressed the opinion that Kewell should be resting, but Benitez heaped gritty contempt upon them by instructing them to back off and reminding them that Liverpool pay his wages.

"I'm not happy with the people around Harry talking all the time and not doing the best things for him," Benitez said. "I don't know if the manager and agent are doctors, but he is a key player for us and we want to see the best of him, not hear them talking all the time."

The Spaniard continued in bullish vein: "Harry has trained properly for the past 10 days. He is working hard and playing well. We have a very good medical department and they say he is fit. He is our player: we pay him and we control him; we want to see the best of him and we know what to do to achieve that. The only thing other people must do is to say to him: 'Play as well as possible'."

Kewell, who played as a striker for an hour in a reserve fixture last week, is earmarked to start against Leverkusen because of the unavailability of Fernando Morientes (cup-tied) and Steven Gerrard (suspended). He has not enjoyed the best of seasons, in respect of either form or fitness. However, Benitez hopes that a capacity crowd at Anfield - and the prospect of claiming a place in Sunday's Carling Cup final against Chelsea in Cardiff - might coax the player into reprising the finishing flair he demonstrated during Leeds' run to the semi-finals in 2000-01
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:01 am

If it was any other player, Rafa would rest em, but seeing that Rafa is more than likely to ship him out at the end of the season, it doesnt matter how much damage Kewell does to himself from now till the end of the campaign. Kewell will have to get surgery, it happened to Fowler, when he struggled with his ankle. And it wouldnt bother Rafa if he does cos more than likely, he will sell Kewell.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:05 am

Im not to sure about him getting rid of Kewell, he says a few seasons ago Kewell was one of the best wingers around and I suppose we are all waiting for that kind of form to reappear.
He scored 14 goals last season, I think thats quite a good record for an out of form player dont you?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:12 am

Yeah, dont get me wrong, i love the guy, not just cos he is Aussie too, but he is a great player. I still think his best is in the past, and although he has shown glimpses of it the last few seasons he has been at our club, he is never going to reproduce the sort of form he had when he was at Leeds. Im an optimist, and I know that there is a lot of talk down here that Kewell will be shipped off elswhere to make room for improvement. He is costing the club a bucket load in wages, and his transfer fees are still around the same mark from when we signed him up. I say, if the speculation is true, Kewell will be sold, Gerrard will stay, and with the money we get for Harry and others, we will be able to capture some decent talent. Not as much as the sale of Gerrard would entice, but decent nonetheless.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 am

Old point but had he sorted it out in the summer (the injury), we would not be having this discussion. I am also sure that Raffa would not play him if there was a chance of a progression of the injury.

If it is about pain, Kewell should suck it up. I think he owes the fans something, and he could wipe the slate clean tonight. A good performance tonight, and they we sing his name.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:59 am

Old point but had he sorted it out in the summer (the injury), we would not be having this discussion. I am also sure that Raffa would not play him if there was a chance of a progression of the injury.

If it is about pain, Kewell should suck it up. I think he owes the fans something, and he could wipe the slate clean tonight. A good performance tonight, and they we sing his name.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:49 am

Yeah but it depends on the seriousness of his injury, have you ever tried playing with a torn groin muscle?  I havent but I have with a torn calf muscle, and there is no way you can play anywhere near your best with a torn calf and I imagine it would be even worse with a torn groin muscle.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 am

Sell him ......
LiverpoolMadman

Postby gabbyh » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:29 pm

His agent and the manager of Australia are telling Rafa what to do at this important moment in time???

Were was his agent when he didnt go to get his injury sorted during the summer? The Aussie manager thinks him important now? During a VERY inportant part of OUR Season?

I totally understand Rafa's anger. To be honest, he is being very diplomatic!!
gabbyh

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:38 pm

This is from tonights ECHO. Harry to start.

'We need to see best of Harry' Feb 22 2005

By David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

REDS boss Rafa Benitez will hand Harry Kewell a Champions League start at Anfield tonight - with a message to hit the ground running.

The inconsistent Australian (left) was just returning to his best form when he was hit by a groin injury before Christmas.

A goal at Villa Park had been followed by goal-making contributions against Olympiakos and Newcastle, before injury struck.

But Kewell has trained normally now for almost a fortnight, and with Fernando Morientes, Steven Gerrard and Mauricio Pellegrino all ineligible for the visit of Bayer Leverkusen, he will be handed his first start since December 19.

"Harry has played well in the last nine days. He is fit and well and I think he will play," said Benitez

"He is a key player for us. He is a fantastic player and I say to everybody we need Harry Kewell and we need to see the best of Harry.

"We knew we would have no strikers so we started working without these players, but we have Kewell, Le Tallec and Baros and the possibility of Smicer and Luis Garcia."

Igor Biscan is likely to be handed the demanding role of filling Gerrard's boots, with Kewell employed as a link between midfield and attack.

The Reds may have some of their most influential performers absent, but Benitez has balanced that loss with the extra time his squad has had to prepare for the visit of the Germans.

"It is always good when you have time for training - and for this game we have had nine days," he explained. "We have been able to do more things, analyse the game and try to make sure that we don't make the same mistakes as we did at Birmingham.

"It will be a tough game for us, sure. When you talk about 16 teams left in the Champions League, you are talking about the best 16 teams on the continent.

"Maybe, if you talk about the other names, Leverkusen are not the best at this moment, but they are still a very good team."

Benitez, meanwhile, hit out at Harry Kewell's agent Bernie Mandic and Australian national team boss Frank Farina, after both claimed the player had been put at risk by Liverpool's refusal to sanction surgery on his injury.

"I am not happy with people around Harry talking all the time and not doing the best for the player," rapped Benitez.

"We have a good medical department that is looking after him properly and we just want to see the best of Harry Kewell now. But what I don't want is to keep hearing his people telling us what we should do all the time.

"He is our player, we pay his wages, we control him and we know what to do with him.

"I don't know if his people are doctors or of they have other ideas, but maybe they should pay his wages at the end of the month.

"I don't know what they are saying to him in private but I don't like them talking about him. I want to see the best of Harry against Leverkusen."

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:08 pm

Being Australian, I've witnessed some stupid things coming from the Australian coach/manager's mouth Frank Farina. First of all, he shouldn't speak about shiiite about Harry seeing that he continuously plays Kewell out of position and as a Striker. Wrong. He still plays Viduka. Wrong. Lazaridis. Wrong. Zelic was told where to stick it at the start of Farina's reign of terror. Wrong. The list goes on and on. But being so close to the playoffs, Farina now wants to open his fookin mouth at a very well respected manager, saying that he should handle Harry differently? ???? ??? What a tos.er! Ive hated the guy from the moment he was appointed coach of Oz, and not because of poor performances, its because he hasnt a clue what he is on about. Stick to coaching the 19's Farina you w.nker!

Harry will kick @ss tonight, you mark my words.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:09 pm

el_stinger wrote:Being Australian, I've witnessed some stupid things coming from the Australian coach/manager's mouth Frank Farina. First of all, he shouldn't speak about shiiite about Harry seeing that he continuously plays Kewell out of position and as a Striker. Wrong. He still plays Viduka. Wrong. Lazaridis. Wrong. Zelic was told where to stick it at the start of Farina's reign of terror. Wrong. The list goes on and on. But being so close to the playoffs, Farina now wants to open his fookin mouth at a very well respected manager, saying that he should handle Harry differently? ???? ??? What a tos.er! Ive hated the guy from the moment he was appointed coach of Oz, and not because of poor performances, its because he hasnt a clue what he is on about. Stick to coaching the 19's Farina you w.nker!

bring back terry venables :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Iceman69 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:30 pm

Cisse, you should be a newspaper reporter.

You been cutting out todays news articles again?
Iceman69

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:07 pm

stmichael wrote:
el_stinger wrote:Being Australian, I've witnessed some stupid things coming from the Australian coach/manager's mouth Frank Farina. First of all, he shouldn't speak about shiiite about Harry seeing that he continuously plays Kewell out of position and as a Striker. Wrong. He still plays Viduka. Wrong. Lazaridis. Wrong. Zelic was told where to stick it at the start of Farina's reign of terror. Wrong. The list goes on and on. But being so close to the playoffs, Farina now wants to open his fookin mouth at a very well respected manager, saying that he should handle Harry differently? ???? ??? What a tos.er! Ive hated the guy from the moment he was appointed coach of Oz, and not because of poor performances, its because he hasnt a clue what he is on about. Stick to coaching the 19's Farina you w.nker!

bring back terry venables :laugh:

At least we beat England..........LMAO

:D  :D  :D

lovely.

Please dont wish Venables on us again.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion