ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 21/12/08 4pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 am

redtrader74 wrote:it is the draws against the poor clubs that are the problem, and in those games in general, we tried, and attacked, but failed.

Its because of these results that is stopping me from getting excited. I have this constant nagging feeling that these results are going to cost us. We are top for a reason, we have been very very lucky. Unless we improve, our luck will run out. Many people pin the hopes on Torres to score the goals. Lets not forget the games Torres played in and we still failed to look like scoring. We havent been able to beat the lesser teams, at home. That is worrying. Very worrying, if we cant beat them at home, can we beat them at there place?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:15 am

NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:I would even go as far to say its a honor to share these forums with her she is funny , sweet , and just a all round top football surporter.

:buttrock

:;):  :blush: Oh i feel all young here

Get your coat Nanny I think you've pulled there luv.

Never mind me coat , LIPPYS gone on an everything :laugh:

I knew i should have made my move earlier!!

:D
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:02 am

Kharhaz wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:it is the draws against the poor clubs that are the problem, and in those games in general, we tried, and attacked, but failed.

Its because of these results that is stopping me from getting excited. I have this constant nagging feeling that these results are going to cost us. We are top for a reason, we have been very very lucky. Unless we improve, our luck will run out. Many people pin the hopes on Torres to score the goals. Lets not forget the games Torres played in and we still failed to look like scoring. We havent been able to beat the lesser teams, at home. That is worrying. Very worrying, if we cant beat them at home, can we beat them at there place?

Home results of Champions

07/08 Man Utd P19 W17 D1 L1 PTS 52
06/07 Man Utd P19 W15 D2 L2 PTS 47
05/06 Chelsea P19 W18 W1 L0 PTS 55
04/05 Chelsea P19 W14 D5 L0 PTS 47
03/04 Arsenal P19 W15 D4 L0 PTS 49
02/03 Man Utd P19 W16 D2 L1 PTS 50

Last six seasons the champions have picke dup at least 47 points at home, we managed 48 points in 05/06 and that's the most we've managed in the Premiership at home. You expect (some) away draws, but we've already drawn FOUR at home and that means we could manage 49 points maximum from our home games. To win 27 games in a season we need to maximise our home record, even if we won 15 at home that would mean 12 away wins and we just don't break sides down well enough to win that many - do we?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dame » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:17 am

RedEire wrote:Insua showed that he has the ability to play at this level against the big teams - did not dive in, stood up to Sagna when he tried to get down the line and got close each and every time Sagna tried to cross the ball - this is so important as it does not allow the player to pick out a man in the box.  He also showed that he is not afraid to push up when required and he got in a few good crosses himself.  All in all a very impressive display for a 19 year old.

Insua is only 19....oh... very good performance in the match.... long pass is good...physically strong too....
dame

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41 am

Haha cech after the game:

"It is a pity because we have already had some chances to be top of the league and we didn't win those games.

"The way things are going, a lot of teams are dropping points and if we had won our home games we could have been top with a gap. But the Premier League is a great competition and everybody is pushing up."

Yeah you dont say lol, if we had won all our home games we would be top with a gap too, utterly pointless
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby dame » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 am

bigmick wrote:I agree with broadly what your saying Fowler. Sometimes what you'd have "accepted before the game" changes as circumstances change during the game. If we went to Old Trafford (where most would take a point) and went 3-0 up at half-time before drawing 3-3, I guess you would be able to console yourself it was a good point but it'd take some doing.

There's absolutely no gaurantee of course that had we "gone for it" at Arsenal that the result would have been any different. Taking off a defensive midfielder may even have caused us to lose the game, there are no certainties. I think though the likelyhood that you will actually win the match increases if you really press on and commit more bodies into the box. We didn't, and we got our point. We won't truly know whether it was a good point to get, or an oppotunity missed to really go for three points, until the seasons end. At this stage of the proceedings, I'd take if offered the scenario that it was relevent one way or the other come the end of the season.

right....i think we should be cautious at 1-1....because if suddenly arsenal score and we lost the match against a 10-men arsenal, the effect to our players' confidence is beyond one match...we should think from the angle of the whole campaign, rather than a single match.
dame

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Can't say I agree with you mate that that's a good enough reason to not go for it, but it's a good point anyway. There's no doubt a defeat would have damaged us, and there's equally no doubt we wwould have risked a defeat by going for it more. Like I say, I think the slight gamble would have been worth it personally, but it's all opinions at the end of the day.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 pm

(courtesy of ciggy and rawk) words by judge

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:13 pm

bigmick wrote:Can't say I agree with you mate that that's a good enough reason to not go for it, but it's a good point anyway. There's no doubt a defeat would have damaged us, and there's equally no doubt we wwould have risked a defeat by going for it more. Like I say, I think the slight gamble would have been worth it personally, but it's all opinions at the end of the day.

We could sit down at the end of the season having finished four due to a ten to a dozen draws and think "what if?". What if we'd gone for it more in those games? Maybe we'd lose the odd game more, but I'd take three wins and three defeats over six draws any day of the week. Throw in an extra six points to our current league position and we'd be clear and relatively comfortable.

Yes a defeat can damage confidence, but so too can too many draws. Winning is a habit, we showed that early season when we won eight of our first ten games. Now we've slipped into our old drawing habit and drawn more games than we've won in the last eight (4-3)

You can't afford to be afraid of losing or you'll win nothing. No prizes for least losses, most wins normally wins the league. At the moment the league order also reflects most wins bar two sides who are each better off than ONE team who's won more games

8. Fulham 6 wins
9. Bolton 7 wins

12. Newcastle 5 wins
13. Sunderland 6 wins

And as I've mentioned at least once, Man Utd lost more games than Liverpool, Arsenal AND Chelsea, BUT the mancs finished top so they won't care. If we can't learn from the mancs who've won the Premiership too many times to want to mention, then we may as well give up now
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:40 pm

By god are we lucky.

Chelsea falter yet again. We really do need to start winning games. There have been far too many draws recently and thanks to lady luck, we're still in the hunt.

Man U are in pole position as far as I'm concerned, but Villa pose a threat due to the top 4 not capitalising on opportunities.

Chelsea have a very tough away schedule for the rest of the year, they've had the easiest one so far - hence their wins.

In a way, this makes for a very interesting finish to the season as we will see atleast 4 teams in close contention around March.

Who knows what happens after that, but should we manage to win a few in January - I'd be very, very optimistic of our chances towards the end :D
Simari
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion