ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 21/12/08 4pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby europian-kings » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 pm

good result for us it seems whenever us or chelsea drop points the other tend to aswel!
really looking forward to the bolton game, hopefully we can get the 3 points!

oh yeah...and you have got to love this comment posted on the bbc live text - "Haven't seen the tackle but it was definitely red."
Liverpool fan via text

:D
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Seriously what the hell's going on with top teams now?  It's not like the smaller teams improved that much.  I really hope that we get our act together now, because the amount of times Chelsea and Manure have failed to capitalize on our poor form is astounding.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Alex G. » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:20 pm

europian-kings wrote:good result for us it seems whenever us or chelsea drop points the other tend to aswel!

oh yeah...and you have got to love this comment posted on the bbc live text - "Haven't seen the tackle but it was definitely red."
Liverpool fan via text

If we don´t win against Bolton I gonna hang myself once for all.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby europian-kings » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Alex G. wrote:
europian-kings wrote:good result for us it seems whenever us or chelsea drop points the other tend to aswel!

Liverpool fan via text

make sure you don't take up all the rope  :idea
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Alex G. » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 pm

europian-kings wrote:
Alex G. wrote:

Liverpool fan via text

make sure you don't take up all the rope  :idea

I´ll write one last letter blaming on rafa of course. :D
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 pm

LegBarnes wrote:I would even go as far to say its a honor to share these forums with her she is funny , sweet , and just a all round top football surporter.

:buttrock

:;):  :blush: Oh i feel all young here  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 am

NANNY RED wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:I would even go as far to say its a honor to share these forums with her she is funny , sweet , and just a all round top football surporter.

Get your coat Nanny I think you've pulled there luv.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am

s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

Get your coat Nanny I think you've pulled there luv.  :D

Never mind me coat , LIPPYS gone on an everything :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:Seriously what the hell's going on with top teams now?  It's not like the smaller teams improved that much.  I really hope that we get our act together now, because the amount of times Chelsea and Manure have failed to capitalize on our poor form is astounding.

All bending over backwards to cut the lucky mancs some slack and put next to no pressure on them, that's the worrying thing. No good focusing heavily on the blues of London, pretty sure I said the other week that we need to keep an eye on them slippery mancs. They land the Champions League and then get pompey in the Community Shield and Liga De Quito in the World Club Cup or whatever it calls itself these days. On top of that they barely lose ground worth losing sleep over, both main rivals drop points at the weekend and they accumulate games in hand.

But maybe we should focus as heavily on our team that is dropping way too many points. Last eight games we've dropped eleven points (out of 24), we've got away with it up until now, but we can't keep expecting our rivals to slip up too. We need to go on a winning run through until our next big test, five winnable games and then three of the next four games would test any side's title credentials

26/12 Bolton (h)
28/12 Newcastle (a)
10/01 Stoke (a)
19/01 Bitters (h)
27/01 Wigan (a)

01/02 CHELSEA (h)
07/02 Portsmouth (a)
21/02 Man City (h)
28/02 Middlesbro (a)

If we do need 27 wins to have a shot at the title then we need to win 16 out of our last 20 games. That's not going to be easy with three of those against Chelsea, Arsenal (both home) and the mancs (away) If we don't lose more than two games then it is maybe possible we could get away with 26 wins, but I can't see there being much scope - say won 26, drawn 10, lost two to make 88 points. Beating the mancs and Chelsea would help our cause.

One stat I had forgotten is that Rafa has never previously picked up so much as a point against the Champions - losing home and away to Chelsea in 04/05 and 05/06, and likewise to the mancs in 06/07 and 07/08. Since we've picked up three points already against the Champions of the last four seasons and one against the side who were unbeaten Champions five seasons ago, something has to give. (we lost to Arsenal home and away in 03/04, but obviously not under Rafa)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 am

rafa's substitutions have been absolutely scandalous in the last couple of games, what the hell has to happen for Kuyt to be taken off and 1 upfront vs 10 men? jesus h. christ we will never get a better opportunity to beat Arsenal on there own patch, they had 1 man down, there best player injured and there second best player sent off. The mind boggles

Having said that though, its still a decent point, which we all probably would have accepted at the start of the game, however we had some good circumstances that we didnt capitilise on IMO
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 am

I agree with broadly what your saying Fowler. Sometimes what you'd have "accepted before the game" changes as circumstances change during the game. If we went to Old Trafford (where most would take a point) and went 3-0 up at half-time before drawing 3-3, I guess you would be able to console yourself it was a good point but it'd take some doing.

There's absolutely no gaurantee of course that had we "gone for it" at Arsenal that the result would have been any different. Taking off a defensive midfielder may even have caused us to lose the game, there are no certainties. I think though the likelyhood that you will actually win the match increases if you really press on and commit more bodies into the box. We didn't, and we got our point. We won't truly know whether it was a good point to get, or an oppotunity missed to really go for three points, until the seasons end. At this stage of the proceedings, I'd take if offered the scenario that it was relevent one way or the other come the end of the season.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:28 am

bigmick wrote:I agree with broadly what your saying Fowler. Sometimes what you'd have "accepted before the game" changes as circumstances change during the game. If we went to Old Trafford (where most would take a point) and went 3-0 up at half-time before drawing 3-3, I guess you would be able to console yourself it was a good point but it'd take some doing.

There's absolutely no gaurantee of course that had we "gone for it" at Arsenal that the result would have been any different. Taking off a defensive midfielder may even have caused us to lose the game, there are no certainties. I think though the likelyhood that you will actually win the match increases if you really press on and commit more bodies into the box. We didn't, and we got our point. We won't truly know whether it was a good point to get, or an oppotunity missed to really go for three points, until the seasons end. At this stage of the proceedings, I'd take if offered the scenario that it was relevent one way or the other come the end of the season.

I agree theres no guarantee that we would have went on to win the game, but surely with some more attacking subs we would have given our selves more of a chance? I mean arsenal's defence looked shakey against simple hoofs over the top, surley putting Babel on so we could play a few through balls would have been worth a try IMO, or Kuyt and Keane upfront with El zhar on for Lucas.

The thing thats really starting to bug me though is Rafa's rufusal to take off Kuyt now matter how bad or inefective he has been in the game, especially when he's pulling of Keane all the time as soon as he puts in a decent performance! and dont get me started on Lucas, absolute waste of time he is, craps himself if he has to pass the ball more than 5 yards.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am

Fowler I agree with you mate, of course your chances of winning the game increase if you play a more attacking formation and with more attackers. I'm just saying it's not a certainty that you would win (and I know you aren't saying that either).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 am

bigmick wrote:Fowler I agree with you mate, of course your chances of winning the game increase if you play a more attacking formation and with more attackers. I'm just saying it's not a certainty that you would win (and I know you aren't saying that either).

wait theres gotta be something i can argue with there  :D well anyway we got lucky with the chelsea result tonight (again) lets just hope we start to pick up some form soon, because the mancs and chelsea wont let us off forever, and for the love of god Kuyt and Lucas to be dropped for the next game!
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:45 am

Although I thought we should have added a forward in the game, i'm no expert and the manager is. I don't think that more attackers means you are more likely to win, otherwise teams would play 3-4 attackers from the start. The balance of the team is far more important. To regular punters the answer is always simple, chuck on another striker, and I too am baffled sometimes with our substitutions, but then thats why the club have employed an expert to make these decisions.

This result was acceptable, it is the draws against the poor clubs that are the problem, and in those games in general, we tried, and attacked, but failed.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion