Alonso thinks a lot of our rafa - And he picked us over madrid.........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:58 am

According to Sky Sports, Liverpool target Xabi Alonso has revealed that Rafa Benitez has played a big part in persuading him to move to England and sign for the reds of Liverpool.

Alonso is set to seal a move to Anfield later this week following his friendly appearence for Spain, after his club Real Sociedad agreed a deal with Liverpool.

The Spanish international is excited at the prospect of working alongside Rafael Benitez and believes he can help Liverpool become serious challengers for the title this season.

"Not only is Benitez a great coach, he is a master of psychology. He can make the players become friends and he can help them perform to a higher level," said Alonso.

"This is how he enabled Valencia to triumph in La Liga.

"I believe under Benitez our work will be excellent. I am convinced that this season The Reds can be considered to win the championship."

The 22-year-old admitted he snubbed Real Madrid to move to Liverpool and that it is a dream come true for him to play for The Reds.

"Liverpool are one of those clubs that any player always dreams about playing for.

"It is sad that I will not be in the same team as Michael Owen but sometimes things change in life and the future is still positive.

"When it came down to a choice between Madrid and Liverpool I chose Liverpool.

"They are the club that showed the biggest interest in me."

So maybe Michael Owen got it wrong? Possibly not but it is encouraging to hear a player held in such high regard in his native country speak so highly of both my beloved club and our new gaffer.

I am ****** my pants to see this guy line up alongside Stevie G, H and Nunez in our new look midfield. Roll on saturday.....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:05 am

Excellent post

These are exciting times we reckon Gerrard is the man and the Spanish reckon Alonso is cant wait to see the bothe of them together
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:07 am

me 2 leaon, can't wait to see these spanish lads take the premiership by storm, Alonso is pure class and I can't wait 2 see him and Gerrard play together, as you say roll on saturday. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:10 am

Liverpooltv - Rafa talks about Alonso and Nunez

Good to see RB talking about both players and way he wants the team to play.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crowfucious » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:10 am

Xabi is class in his own right but he will also free up stevie G which is what we need more than anything. Marauding runs forward from our skipper.

And, Harry might come into his own this season and show us the form he had at leeds. Saying that he did score 11 goals last season.
crowfucious

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:11 am

apparently Alonso has been studied our match against spurs and has told Rafa how the team should improve  :;):
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion