ALBERTO AQUILANI - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Effes wrote:Imagine if we finished 5th this season?

Wash your mouth out!   :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Sean wrote:I reckon this could be the deal that makes or breaks Rafa's time as Liverpool boss.

???

It's not that an outrageous statement.

Imagine if we finished 5th this season?

Imagine of Gerrard and Torres both broke their legs?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Imagine of Gerrard and Torres both broke their legs?

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 pm

roberto green wrote:in case anyone has forgot Liverpool are currently playing in Oslo

:p

1-0 up due to the Vorinator..... another class purchase.  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:21 pm

aCe' wrote:how many of you people slagging the signing have ever seen the guy play ? (i know its hard catching a game where hes played with his injury record but still :D )

Hes an excellent footballer, the fact that hes called up for the Italy squad whenever hes fit despite his injury record and club starts says something, doesnt it ?!

Just like Dossena is first choice for italy  :;):
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Sean wrote:I reckon this could be the deal that makes or breaks Rafa's time as Liverpool boss.

???

Well, if it turns out that by the end of the season we're saying his signing was
a big mistake; add to that Man City's new potential......

5th could be a real possibility.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Talk fo the devil ....... 2-0 Egg Nog´s just scored.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Highland Red » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Welcome to Liverpool FC Alberto.

A great signing and let's hope he does very well for us.  :buttrock
Highland Red

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm

i'm pleased to see a change in how we do business now Parry has left. Rafa has held out for the money HE WANTED for Alonso, which Parry wouldn't have done...and now he's sorted out the replacement within 24 hours.

Well done Rafa.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Reg wrote:Talk fo the devil ....... 2-0 Egg Nog´s just scored.

Try this thread Reg:

FC Lyn game
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

???

Well, if it turns out that by the end of the season we're saying his signing was

Do you seriously believe that Alonso was that influential to us? I don't. Relegation is possible also, but not very likely or realistic, is it?

I'll maintain that if we buy another class attacking player, then our squad will have improved other than went backwards.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:This guy is gonna be under massive pressure as he'll be constantly compared to Xabi by us fans and the media, already I've seen that newspapers are asking, "Has Rafa sold his teams title chances for £30m?", this is what it'll be like everytime Aquilani misplaces as pass, shoots off target or is unavailable. That brings me to his injury record, it is a big concern but if there is a squad wide problem at Roma then maybe our fears can be allayed. All the best to the lad though if he completes the move.

You can't compare him to Alonso because he's a different kind of player.

Like it or not, and not a lot of people have even mentioned it on here, but selling Alonso could actually work out to be a good thing either way, because perhaps teams were sussing out our style of play when Alonso was in the team pulling the strings, so a new and different player taking up his berth in the team could signal a different and more direct style of play from Rafa this season. We played a lot of games last season - too many - with two defensive mid-fielders and people often bemoaned this fact when playing the likes of Hull at home and getting draws. Aquilani offers a more direct threat than Xabi ever did, plus he's more mobile. If anyone is under pressure, I'd say it's Mascherano now that he has a bigger role to play gaurding that back line.

I've no intention of comparing the two directly matey, but it won't stop the brain dead nimrods that pass for the media in this country doing exactly that unfortunately.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:This guy is gonna be under massive pressure as he'll be constantly compared to Xabi by us fans and the media, already I've seen that newspapers are asking, "Has Rafa sold his teams title chances for £30m?", this is what it'll be like everytime Aquilani misplaces as pass, shoots off target or is unavailable. That brings me to his injury record, it is a big concern but if there is a squad wide problem at Roma then maybe our fears can be allayed. All the best to the lad though if he completes the move.

Like it or not, and not a lot of people have even mentioned it on here, but selling Alonso could actually work out to be a good thing either way, because perhaps teams were sussing out our style of play when Alonso was in the team pulling the strings, so a new and different player taking up his berth in the team could signal a different and more direct style of play from Rafa this season. We played a lot of games last season - too many - with two defensive mid-fielders and people often bemoaned this fact when playing the likes of Hull at home and getting draws. Aquilani offers a more direct threat than Xabi ever did, plus he's more mobile. If anyone is under pressure, I'd say it's Mascherano now that he has a bigger role to play gaurding that back line.

Interesting and intelligent point mate. I am totally with you there.
:buttrock
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

I've no intention of comparing the two directly matey, but it won't stop the brain dead nimrods that pass for the media in this country doing exactly that unfortunately.

if he doesn't score a goal from the half way line, i'll label him as rubbish

:D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:36 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Effes wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

???

Do you seriously believe that Alonso was that influential to us? I don't. Relegation is possible also, but not very likely or realistic, is it?

Very balanced reasoning there.  :)

Im sure with a little effort, you will be able to see the point I'm making.
I think Xabi/Masch is way better than Lucas/Masch which may be what we see more than Aquilani/Masch.

Hope that clears it up for you.  :)

Oh; and 5th is a lot, a lot more probable than relegation.  :)
Last edited by Effes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion