2001 world soccer magazine team of the year - How different are we now ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby iscah » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:39 am

In 2001 after our second treble (to follow the 1984 treble of Euopean champions, League champions and Leagu Cup winners) we were voted World Soccer's team of the year. Owen was voted world player of the year and Houllier was voted manager of the year.

We then went on to beat Bayern Munich for the Europan Super cup and win the charity shield. We held 5 trophies.

My question is how different is our squad to then ? We have lost McCallister (spelling ?) and some back up talent like Fowler, but player for player I think our current team has the same quality, it certainly has basically the same players.

Is it that everyone else has got much better or just a huge lack of confidence on our behalf ?  If it is lack of confidence then the criticism of our players not being good enough does not hold weight, it is the way they perform instead.

If you take it as being the players ARE good enough given they were three years ago, then it is how do you improve the confidence of the players ? Also the players may not be playing for the manager, but SG's reaction to scoring midweek suggests that may be changing ?? 

This could be the sign of a rebound by the club and the effort they put in, if SG can get all the players playing for Houllier like that then we are not far off for next year. If SG can't get them playing with his passion for the manager then I think Houllier has to go.

Steven O'Neil
Perth
iscah

Postby ynwa » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:39 am

liverpool are the sleeping giants of the prem they need to wake up rub the sleep put of there eyes and play simply football. if they simply football we will win the league
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:44 am

I don't think we're the sleeping giants of the prem, more giants who went to sleep and whenever someone tries to wake us up we kick them and go back to sleep.  What we need is some caffine (sp?), then we can get a bit of energy back in the players (kewell and Owen look like they could use a big dose of caffine)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby ynwa » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:47 am

they need a break we rely on them to much
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:52 am

Yeah but caffine would be funnier.  Imagine Owen high on caffine (has anyone seen tweek from South Park?)
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby kozarets1914 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:53 am

"McAllister" and "caffeine". You're welcome :;):
kozarets1914

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:58 am

thanks bro
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kozarets1914 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:06 pm

You're always welcome :) What time is the Leeds-LFC game?
kozarets1914

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:10 pm

49 minutes from the time of your post.

9:55 AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kozarets1914 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:16 pm

Dear God!  :D  How can I convert that in Bulgarian time :D  :D  :D  I'll check the game on livescore.com. Does anyone know any better site for live-coverage of football games in Europe?
kozarets1914

Postby vlady16.1 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:37 pm

i got up this morning 6:30 to watch the game-- i'm confused-- the team is really good on paper-- goaltending excellant-- back 4- good(were excelleant 3 years ago) --midfield 3 of 4 are superb-- strikers- baros looks great mike is struggling heskey is invisible-- this team should compete but it doesn't.
questions: 1) how much are the rumors re michael and gh hurting the team? i'm 3k miles away
               2) why doesn't gh play heskey as close to the opposing goaltender to make use of his size-- he certainly isn't a ball handler?
               3) if gh is a lame duck why not fire him now
               4) has michael signed that extension i've heard about and is he really changing his representation which would account for not signing??
               5) are there niggling injuries that account for the bad play?

there is no excuse for this team to not be top 2 or 3
vlady16.1

Postby staticstranger » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:03 pm

We do not need Heskey anywhere near the pitch.
staticstranger

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion