1974 fa cup final - In 12 parts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Yes it's been on lfc tv a couple of times saint . Cracking game of footy , we feckin tw@ted the barcodes that day.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Due you remember Peter Cormack Saint. He played in midfield that day , and if i remember right ,he was a pretty tidy player , never seems to get alot of recognition though.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:45 pm

1st FA Cup success of my life time and we absoloutely killed them (also Shankly's last game in charge). Kevin Keegan's 2nd goal, best team goal in a FA Cup final I've ever seen. From left to right so easily. Tommy Smith crossing the ball in, Keegan stabbing it home.

And the words of the commentary at the end of the game will always live on. "Keegan 2, Hieghway 1, Liverpool 3, Newcastle none." :D

And yes Igor, Peter Cormack was a central midfielder, one of our lesser reconised players from that era, a bit like Alec Lyndsey (our left back for the match)
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:52 pm

I´ve got the DVD collection of all our FA Cup wins from the club shop and the 74 final was superb, they played great football that day against the barcodes.  Two Newcastle players stood out way above the rest, Alan Kennedy and Terry Mac so surprising to some extent that Newcastle were willing to sell their best players on the day. But thanks anyway.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Another reason for that victory was the fact that Newcastle forward Malcolm Macdonald told us that he was going to have us run raggered, but he didn't touch the ball thanks to great defending from Phil Thompson and Emlyn Hughes RIP.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Due you remember Peter Cormack Saint. He played in midfield that day , and if i remember right ,he was a pretty tidy player , never seems to get alot of recognition though.

I always liked Cormack, first time I saw him he hit the post for Forest against us. I was made up when he joined Liverpool just afterwards. Seemed to get a lot of stick from the crowd for some reason after a couple of seasons. Brave as a lion but played a lot deeper for us than I would have preferred.
I think he played a bit like Ray Kennedy, ghosted about linking up play and great in the air for his size.
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:55 pm

What about Alec Lindsey´s left footed crack on goal in the 74 final - better than Riise !!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Great memories of that day i was sweet sixteen i remember wakin up dead early to go on one of the football specials from Lime St. The train was heavin even at that early in the morning with everyone singin and swapping sandwiches i remember this awl fella had a load of ribs and im talkin a butchers shop worth i think the whole train ate ribs that day

Great match and and everytime i watch it i remember something new about that day.

My heart was broken though a couple of months later
Last edited by NANNY RED on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:09 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Great memories of that day i was sweet sixteen i remember wakin up dead early to go on one of the football specials from Lime St. The train was heavin even at that early in the morning with everyone singin and swapping sandwiches i remember this awl fella had a load of ribs and im talkin a butchers shop worth i think the whole train ate ribs that day

Great match and and everytime i watch it i remember something new about that day.

My heart was broken though a couple of months later

I missed out in '74 I was in a draw for two tickets with 9 other people, convinced myself I was going to win it and then was heartbroken when I didn't. I even messed it up the next time we went, I had the choice between fa cup final tickets and European cup final tickets....... I chose the Fa cup final against the mancs rather than travel to Rome :( .

I think everyone was heartbroken when Shanks left, I just kept thinking he would change his mind. I thought that's why they had appointed Paisley so that Shanks could come back. I thought if Shankly had gone for good we would have got a real manager in  :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Reg wrote:What about Alec Lindsey´s left footed crack on goal in the 74 final - better than Riise !!

It was alot harder to do it with those old balls.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Poor old Newcastle.

All they want is a trophy.

ANY TROPHY!!!!!

:laugh:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Do you approve of this Dawson??  :D :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 pm

s@int wrote:.

I think everyone was heartbroken when Shanks left, I just kept thinking he would change his mind. I thought that's why they had appointed Paisley so that Shanks could come back. I thought if Shankly had gone for good we would have got a real manager in  :laugh:

I think everyone remembers what they were doing and where they were that day Saint . You thought it was a joke i didnt believe it for ages :D

Looking back on the game though look at the bench.
Bob,Ronnie,Joe,Reuben what more can you say i dont think ill ever see a bench like that again in my lifetime. Masters in everything to do with football
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:36 pm

Jeeez the memories... I remember crying when Alec Lyndsay had a goal disallowed.  My brother took the p!ss out of me and my Dad gave him a good hiding :)

Keegan, the best footballer I've seen and, along with Steve Heighway, my favourite Liverpool player of all time.
PhiLFC

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion