The coming months - Now's the time to build a healthy haul.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Just had a look at the upcoming fixtures for the next few months. Unlike last year, this time around, we've been fortunate that the 1st few games of the season will be relatively "easier" (if you can call any games in the premiership easy these days!).

In September, we've got 3 away games in the premiership to Portsmouth, Birmingham and Reading. Now's the time we build on our excellent start. We need to get the maximum points from these games. Of the 3, we have a good record only against Reading in recent games having won both home and away fixtures last year. We screwed up badly against Portsmouth (lost away and drew at home). Birmingham has also been troublesome in the past (2 draws and 2 losses). To keep up the push for the title, we need to improve this record fast.

The next 6 games are going to be much "tougher". 2 games at home with Tottenham (we won both fixtures last year) and Arsenal (1 win and 1 loss). An away game to the Bluesh!te. We were :censored: poor against them last year (lost 1 and drew 1) and I am desperate to kick their @rses this time around. We next have the dirty thugs of Blackburn away (lost 1 and drew 1 last season). Followed by Fulham at Anfield and Big Sam's Newcastle away.

Should we not do well in September, we will lose ground and psycologically, this may affect the confidence and momentum of the team.

This year, we CANNOT afford to let this happen. The good news is that, this year, we have much better personnel in attack and we shouldn't have to worry bout scoring one and getting hit by a sucker punch late in the game. IMO, now is the time where we should not be dicking around with over-rotation and mess about with team chemistry.

So c'mon you red men! Lets not get complacent.... the next few games are IMO crucial to the success of our season

Your thoughts?
ConnO'var

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Yeah I was looking at that earlier aswell. If we can get a few decent away results and maintain stuff at home there is no reason why we cannot stay at the top let alone build a gap. I think Utd and Chelsea play each other soon also.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:58 am

I'd put Portsmouth away in the same bracket as Villa away...a potential banana skin but, in truth, a very winnable match if we play the way we are capable of.  That's the sort of game that determines champions.  As for Birmingham, I'm fecked if I know how we've conspired to play so poorly on their patch (bar that unforgettable FA Cup tie :D ) as they are, in truth, a pish poor side.  Again, these are the kind of matches that we need to boss from start to finish and waltz away with 3 points if we truly are going to have a tilt at the title.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Grudge » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:21 am

This post nearly gave me a heart attack! :D

Just paid a good few quid at the weekend to get to Anfield on the 22nd and had to double checked the fixtures cause i thought id booked a trip to Liverpool when we were playing in Brum!!

I can confirm we are at home on that date!!....Phew!

Very true what the poster says above though,we cannot afford to slip up in these type of games that cost us so many points last year.It will be a vast indicator of how far we have came and can go after we play this months fixtures!
The Grudge

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:36 am

The Grudge wrote:This post nearly gave me a heart attack! :D

Just paid a good few quid at the weekend to get to Anfield on the 22nd and had to double checked the fixtures cause i thought id booked a trip to Liverpool when we were playing in Brum!!

I can confirm we are at home on that date!!....Phew!

Very true what the poster says above though,we cannot afford to slip up in these type of games that cost us so many points last year.It will be a vast indicator of how far we have came and can go after we play this months fixtures!

Yup.... you're right there grudge.... we've got Birmingham at home.... my mistake. Checked the fixture list on soccernet and my eyes must be screwy or something.... mixed up the match we have with Reading at the Madjeski in the carling cup and the game against the Brum....
ConnO'var

Postby Forever_Red » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 am

It's just every away tie I tend to look at as a potential banana skin, last year we were woeful away and it was our away form that really let us down.

A difficult month ahead but if we can get through it we'll be ok
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby burjennio » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:36 am

We will drop points over are next few away games, as will all teams, I think some of us are getting carried away after a great start, we've won 2 out of 2 away so far, so to expect another 3 straight away victories is being a bit greedy, 7 points out of 9 would be fantastic, a draw at portsmouth wouldnt be a disaster, the other 2 we really should be lookig for 3 points (although utd couldnt beat Reading and they chinned the bitters!)
burjennio

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:50 pm

burjennio wrote:We will drop points over are next few away games, as will all teams, I think some of us are getting carried away after a great start, we've won 2 out of 2 away so far, so to expect another 3 straight away victories is being a bit greedy, 7 points out of 9 would be fantastic, a draw at portsmouth wouldnt be a disaster, the other 2 we really should be lookig for 3 points (although utd couldnt beat Reading and they chinned the bitters!)

I don't think it's being greedy at all.  In fact, expecting to drop points is the wrong mentality, IMO.  We've seen over the last few seasons that momentum is everything and the margin for error is razor thin if you want to win the title.  The fact is, we have momentum now and we have the squad to play the likes of Portsmouth and Reading off the park (even if it's their park).  We should continue going for the jugular every game--home and away--in order to solidify our position at the top of the table.  Truly taking the step up to being proper title contenders requires a step up in mentality every bit as much as a step up in quality on the pitch.  Talk of drawing with lesser teams being a decent result is not taking that mental step up, IMHO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ade » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Agree with this, and was looking at the next six weeks as possible the most important stage of the season this side of March/April. Our home form is excellent, and I think Anfield,, even to the likes of Chelsea (especially to them) and Utd is a fortress again.

Away, we have to be putting away teams like Portsmouth and Reading. Absolutely key - do this and the momentum will build nicely. Also, Utd and Chelsea have got some tough games coming up - each other, and I think Chelsea also have Fulham (their derby, lost to them last year was it).

The only thing I'd disagree with is… there ain't no such thing as a potential banana skin.  :p
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Whatever happens with us and elsewhere, if we're there or thereabouts by the time Man U come in December, that could turn out to be the defining moment of our season. I keep looking at the fixture list and I can see it being fairly tight by the time we get to December 15.

I can see Man U and Chelsea dropping a fair few points against random teams this season, and the key is to ensure we drop less than they do.

Good times, these. Haven't been this excited about the league in absolutely ages.
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion