Summer holidays - Where's everyone going ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 12, 2008 10:18 am

Got your holidays planned yet ?

I was hoping to visit China but for a variety of reasons (mainly financial) don't want to go during "Olympic" year. I'll carry on saving and just have to content myself this year with a break closer to home.

At the minute it's a toss up between two places I've never explored. The west coast of Ireland or the northern coast of Spain.

Anybody got any feedback on those area's ? or recommendations for other short haul destinations ?

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon May 12, 2008 10:24 am

No talacre for me this year , we're off to the lovely island of Rhodes in 6 weeks , been there before and loved every minute of it, so i can't wait to go , 39 MORE SLEEPS . :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 am

if you're planning on coming to the northern coast of spain, woof, i can guarantee you a touch of my own hospitality and i'm sure sabre would offer you the same. he has a good nose for fine chorizo and all good doggies like a bit of that.

the north coast of spain is unlike the rest of the country but its a damned fine and beautiful place, especially as you head into asturias and galicia. if you like sea food, dramatic coastlines, beautiful green countryside, mountains, women with hairy forearms and fat behinds, cider, sunny with scattered showers and flying kites then northern spain is for you.

if you like riding tractors through muddy fields in the pi.ssing rain with a pint of over rated guinness in your paw then you can just feck off to ireland.

:D

oh, and remember that NW spain is europe's principle entry point for all illicit goods of south american origin  :;):
Last edited by andy_g on Mon May 12, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 am

In August myself the wife and kids are going out to the family home in Alicante and then onto my Parents apartments in Polaris
world i love Alicante and Murcia cant wait i need a break works been a nightmare since January role on the summer.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

s'algar in Menorca in aug, cant wait, will be on sant tomas beach or son bou beach for most of the fortnight.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon May 12, 2008 11:08 am

andy_g wrote:if you're planning on coming to the northern coast of spain, woof, i can guarantee you a touch of my own hospitality and i'm sure sabre would offer you the same. he has a good nose for fine chorizo and all good doggies like a bit of that.

the north coast of spain is unlike the rest of the country but its a damned fine and beautiful place, especially as you head into asturias and galicia. if you like sea food, dramatic coastlines, beautiful green countryside, mountains, women with hairy forearms and fat behinds, cider, sunny with scattered showers and flying kites then northern spain is for you.

if you like riding tractors through muddy fields in the pi.ssing rain with a pint of over rated guinness in your paw then you can just feck off to ireland.

oh, and remember that NW spain is europe's principle entry point for all illicit goods of south american origin  :;):

woof is into women with one eye, and a large vacant eye socket  :D

as for me, went to Tunisia last feb, but am off to Tenerife in august  :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 12, 2008 11:08 am

andy_g wrote:if you're planning on coming to the northern coast of spain, woof, i can guarantee you a touch of my own hospitality and i'm sure sabre would offer you the same. he has a good nose for fine chorizo and all good doggies like a bit of that.

Cheers Andy

the north coast of spain is unlike the rest of the country but its a damned fine and beautiful place, especially as you head into asturias and galicia. if you like sea food, dramatic coastlines, beautiful green countryside, mountains

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Was thinking of wandering along the coast from say Gijon to Coruna, maybe even pushing on down to Vigo.

I like using local transport when I'm on one of these "wandering" holidays, hopping from one small place to another and booking into b&b's as I go but the road and rail network looks a bit sparse (in some places non existent). Any comment on the buses and trains ? Could do car hire if pushed but on holiday prefer to kick back and be "chauffeured".  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Mon May 12, 2008 11:38 am

the north west of spain is still crawling out of the dark ages, woof, so overland travel isn't as quick and easy as you'd expect in europe. however, along the north coast is a timewarp called the FEVE, a narrowguage (!!) train that runs regularly between santander and ferrol with loads of stops and jumping off points. then you're primed for the northern coast of galicia 'the coast of death' and its spectacular scenery. if you carry on to vigo you'll be able to travel the southern rias, a hidden paradise and home to some of the best fresh seafood you'll ever get your muzzle into.

if gijon is your planned starting point give me a shout - thats where i'm living now.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 am

Turkey in July.

Maybe visit friends in california in september
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon May 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I'll escape all this Andy G describes to go to more inner Spain, I can't stand a summer with rainy days, so I go to inner Spain in La Rioja.

I don't like crowded Spain coasts, I preffer a warm place, a village, no computers, sun, looooong plain small paths where I can do stages of 30 Km in the bike (in the basque country there are too many mountains and slopes for my liking :D).

You can do that here too :D

oh, and remember that NW spain is europe's principle entry point for all illicit goods of south american origin

One way to check how's the business of white powder is to check how much money has for signings Deportivo la Coruña.

When the business is high, they have a lot of money to wash :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 12, 2008 12:11 pm

andy_g wrote:the north west of spain is still crawling out of the dark ages, woof, so overland travel isn't as quick and easy as you'd expect in europe. however, along the north coast is a timewarp called the FEVE, a narrowguage (!!) train that runs regularly between santander and ferrol with loads of stops and jumping off points. then you're primed for the northern coast of galicia 'the coast of death' and its spectacular scenery. if you carry on to vigo you'll be able to travel the southern rias, a hidden paradise and home to some of the best fresh seafood you'll ever get your muzzle into.

if gijon is your planned starting point give me a shout - thats where i'm living now.

Reading up on the FEVE now.

:laugh:  Brilliant stuff Andy. Think i'm sold on the idea now.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby PhiLFC » Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 pm

andy_g wrote:the north west of spain is still crawling out of the dark ages, woof, so overland travel isn't as quick and easy as you'd expect in europe. however, along the north coast is a timewarp called the FEVE, a narrowguage (!!) train that runs regularly between santander and ferrol with loads of stops and jumping off points. then you're primed for the northern coast of galicia 'the coast of death' and its spectacular scenery. if you carry on to vigo you'll be able to travel the southern rias, a hidden paradise and home to some of the best fresh seafood you'll ever get your muzzle into.

Back in about 1980 I was in the Royal Navy and our ship had called in at Bayonne.  I remember we used to walk down to the beach at Biarritz - it was a bit of a walk.  We went on a coach tour to some mountainous region in the Basque area I think.  I haven't got a clue where it was but have often wondered... I remember going on a train that took us to the top of a mountain where there were people hang gliding.  There were also a few touristy type buildings/shops at the top.  Does that ring a bell Andy - I'd love to know where that train was?
PhiLFC

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Las Vegas, baby!!!  In about three months...
jonnymac1979

Postby mistyred » Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Las Vegas, baby!!!  In about three months...

John bring us back a stripper.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon May 12, 2008 12:41 pm

PhiLFC wrote:

Back in about 1980 I was in the Royal Navy and our ship had called in at Bayonne.  I remember we used to walk down to the beach at Biarritz - it was a bit of a walk.  We went on a coach tour to some mountainous region in the Basque area I think.  I haven't got a clue where it was but have often wondered... I remember going on a train that took us to the top of a mountain where there were people hang gliding.  There were also a few touristy type buildings/shops at the top.  Does that ring a bell Andy - I'd love to know where that train was?

Phil, Bayonne France is 25 Km away from where I am, Xabi ALonso's town, San Sebastian.

We do have a train that goes to a mountain up and down, and we do have a mountain with touristic shops on the top

The train was this oldish type?

SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum