Holidays - Where are you going?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:46 pm

I'm going to Australia in November as my best mate's getting married, although someone may also be able to help me out with some other ideas.

I'm looking to go away for a week with the wife at the end of June beginning of July and i fancy going somewhere hot, not really touristy (by this i mean not your costa del sol, ibiza, type holidays as i want a total relaxation hol) and not too expensive. Although i'm not over the hill (only 32) i just fancy somewhere relaxed where i can go out for dinner, drink lot's of (local) beer and wine without having to walk past a string of clubs or restaurants all selling the same food and bearing union jack flags!!

Avoid South Tenerife, Benidorm, Terrormolinos (Torremolinos) at all cost. Filthy places in which you'll pay the beer and the food more expensive just because they know you're likely to go there.

If you're young, you want the beers half the price, and you want to be invited to a tapa with every drink (literally) visit Salamanca town. It's architectonically interesting, they have the most gorgeous women as it's a town of Students -- plus many of them will speak some english at the least, and it has both top fiesta until 6am and quiet places to walk if you want to pass the hangover.

The zone of Caceres is likely to Salamanca in terms of fiesta, and cheap beer and food (plus quality) but their inhabitants are more like Wigan in england, not very cosmopolitan, they'll probably answer "que!!" if you address them in English.

Almeria is the good unknown option if you want the southern coast and you hate crowded beaches. There are lots of tiny beaches in which you can be literally alone and swim naked if you wish. It's also a known hyppie spot so you're likely to find loose women.

If you want green mountains, good food, Basque Country or Asturias is your place. Asturias have some industrial zones, it's the Spanish Sheffield alongside Bilbao, it's miner people zone, but it's countryside is gorgeous. Lagos de Covadonga in Asturias is a breathtaking resort in which you'l find nature, animals you don't see in England, and fresh air. Don't expect to get sun tanned though.

My city is the most beautiful town in Spain according to most Spaniards (not that I say it). But it's expensive. You have a lot of restaurants that appear in the Michelin guide, aute cuissine (or something) and the countryside is green and beautiful. But rainy.

If your missus like shopping, Barcelona and Madrid are good cultural options and since most of their inhabitants flee in those holidays it's a good chance to visit.

Spain has a lot of things to watch, but I'd suggest to avoid the most known places mentioned in the first line.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks Sabre- yeah i've done the tenerife, ibiza type thing when i was younger (and single) and as i used to live in Gibraltar i know to avoid most of the Costa Del Sol as it was easy reach for me then.

As we're looking for a sunny holiday Salamanca and Almeria sound pretty good options so i may have a look and see what they're like. Thanks for the advice.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Redman in wales wrote:awesome mate. cheers for the info. i might just take you up on the offer to pm you, but maybe closer to the time.

no problem-please do if you want, I have a great map of all the beer halls (which do great food) and strip bars i put together when i was on a stag party  :D  (you could always ignore the strip bars)

There are some nice places to go and it's actually quite cheap once you get out of the irish theme bars. There's a nice bar/restaurant opposite to astrological clock which has a local band most nights (drummer, trumpet and guy on a washboard type music- so local fun more than serious music) but they also do great cocktails and shooters if you've drunk to much local beer (or just want to get bladdered)
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:54 pm

red37 wrote:Spike Island

Is that one of the Balearics or one of the Ionian islands?

:D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:59 pm

Sabre wrote:but their inhabitants are more like Wigan in england, not very cosmopolitan, they'll probably answer "que!!" if you address them in English.

brilliant :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Me and my girlfriend are off to Marmaris in Turkey in July for 2 weeks!

Really cant wait,she's been before and loved it!Apparently theres loads to do and its cheap as well!

Once i heard you could get Fanta for 50p a pint i was there already...... :buttrock :D
66-1120597113

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm off to New York for 5 days in july :cool:

never been to the USA before so I'm looking forward to it.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:44 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:I'm off to New York for 5 days in july :cool:

awesome mate. well jeleous.

we're talkin about going there next year, but depends on the  funds.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Got a trip fest planned this year and just started it this past weekend with 4 days in Benidorm with the lads on the lash! The rest of the year pans out like this......

April = 3 days in Benidorm (again!) on the lash (again!) with the lads (again!)
May = 3 days in Belfast on a tour taking the Force team over to play the PSNI
June = 7 days in Vegas baby! it's become an annual thing for me and the lads
July = Take Mrs Cardinal away! 15 days in the USA, 5 each in Chicago, Washington DC and St Louis
August = 3 day stag do in Portugal
September = 4 days golfing in Tenerife

Honest I'm not showing off, but me and the missus do have the luxury of not having kids so it becomes so much easier (and affordable!)

Shame work gets in the way, my mates tell me that I must be practicing for retirement and I've 12 years to go!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Got a trip fest planned this year and just started it this past weekend with 4 days in Benidorm with the lads on the lash! The rest of the year pans out like this......

April = 3 days in Benidorm (again!) on the lash (again!) with the lads (again!)
May = 3 days in Belfast on a tour taking the Force team over to play the PSNI
June = 7 days in Vegas baby! it's become an annual thing for me and the lads
July = Take Mrs Cardinal away! 15 days in the USA, 5 each in Chicago, Washington DC and St Louis
August = 3 day stag do in Portugal
September = 4 days golfing in Tenerife

Honest I'm not showing off, but me and the missus do have the luxury of not having kids so it becomes so much easier (and affordable!)

Shame work gets in the way, my mates tell me that I must be practicing for retirement and I've 12 years to go!!!

:cool:

No one said you were showing off!!

Your post does though highlight that coppers get paid too much! :D

Btw watch the PSNI they are dirty feckers! :laugh:
66-1120597113

Postby fivecups » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Sabre wrote:My city is the most beautiful town in Spain according to most Spaniards (not that I say it). But it's expensive. You have a lot of restaurants that appear in the Michelin guide, aute cuissine (or something) and the countryside is green and beautiful. But rainy.

Sabre:

What city do you live in?

I need to get a summer holiday booked for me and the wife soon. We're looking at Europe for a week, somewhere with good culture, good food preferably on the coast. Im trying to convince that we don't want to spend the whole week lying by the pool (boring as feck) - but that we should consider a few days walking or cycling or something similar.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 pm

I live in San Sebastian, northern Spain. 30 Km away of France -- which is a plus since you can cross the frontier and see somewhat different atmosphere.

If you want fiesta, my town is shíte. Most places are closed at 3am and the remaining ones are not desireable :laugh:

If you want to eat well, it's the best town to visit, the good restaurants (some people come from new york to visit certain restaurants) are expensive though.

If you want to walk it's a very good city, the inner part of the city is pedestrian -- the bad thing about it is that finding parking places is difficult in the street and you must pay for subterranean ones.

If you want cycling it's a great city, because it's full of "red roads", roads in which you can only ride bycicles, or not motor vehicles. You can go everywhere in bike and with no danger of being overrun once you're in San Sebastian.

If you are more than a sunday biker -- the ones that only ride bicycles from time to time, the mountains surrounding San Sebastian will provide you of lots of paths and roads to do mountainbike. And you might know some of the authentic-Basque atmosphere in the process.

In a nutshell, if you're a quiet middle aged man my town is great, if you're a young lad looking for beer and fiesta and girls, avoid it.

pics

San Sebastian night

The old part of San Sebastian, that's the part that remain unburnt after the english troops "liberated" the town of the french troops. Full of restaurants and best tapas of the country (here called pinchos)

This is the surrounding landscape of San Sebastian, great to explore with your bike, might find some old restaurants with typical basque food in the middle of the mountain.

The place I work in as IT. It's english architecture, the Spanish queen had envy of the summer houses of the english queen and made one in my town for her use.

Here you can see a typical walk you can do. You can see a red road to use the bike, too.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 pm

cool, my favourite city in the whole world - it really is the dog's rod  :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm off to Mexico with the bird at the end of June and to Thailand with the boys of toys in October.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 pm

I'll be hoping to work there next year as an intern

as for my hols.. I don't think i'll be going anywhere  :sniffle
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum