Justice for the poppy - Its a disgrace

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby kazza 1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:27 am

I know that most of you the post on this forum are in England, but have you been asked not to remember your war veterans.....?
Staff in Northern Ireland banned from wearing a POPPY

The Newtownabbey Times....

A store chain was slammed yesterday for BANNING their staff from wearing poppies.
TK Maxx has ten stores here, but angry customers have vowed to never shop there again........
Staff at the cut-price fashion suppliers 188 other branches in the rest of the UK and the RoL were free to wear poppies. But staff in NI were told it was a company rule that no NO emblems could be worn - except badges from 6 charities the firm supports.
They heard the ban was to avoid offending anyone, given the political symbolism associated with the various emblems in Ulster.
But DUP MLA Edwin Poots was "appalled". He said " I don't see how anyone could find a poppy offensive. It is the symbol of those who died making the ultimate sacrifice".
Belfast receptionist Gillian Cash, 36, was horrified at the "ridiculous" ban and vowed to boycott the store. She said: People wear a poppy to honour the dead who gave their lives in war-time fighting for freedom. This is not a political issue. I know a lot of people who say they will not shop there again.
Furious callers swamped BBC Radio NI's lunchtime Talkback phone-in show to protest. One, named Mary, said "I am a Catholic and I won't shop at TK Maxx again - do they not relise that Catholic people wear poppies too?"
Another called Mark said, "This must ne the most bigoted shop in NI - my family won't be shopping there again.
Last night a spokeswoman for TK Maxx said: "we had no intention to cause offence but we do have a policy on emblems in NI. We realise this is a very sensitive issue."

Your views please!!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:35 am

:angry: disgraceful. Id never shop in it anyway its like paddys market.

Ps good win today for the wee glens eh.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:42 am

Was cr@pping myself when Larne came back!! was a good day out though! not a bad win 5 - 1  :D
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:45 am

political correctness gone barking mad once again :(  men and women from countless nations across the world including Irish men & women form north & south of the border gave their lives to defeat the cancer of fascism in europe, and this is the posthumous thanks they get? TK Maxx hang your heads in shame    :angry:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:52 am

Woollyback wrote:political correctness gone barking mad once again :(  men and women from countless nations across the world including Irish men & women form north & south of the border gave their lives to defeat the cancer of fascism in europe, and this is the posthumous thanks they get? TK Maxx hang your heads in shame    :angry:

I agree!! Its PC gone mad!! I mean, these brave men (and women) died in 2 world wars, to stop people like Hitler taking over our country! And this is how a clothing chain repay them!! I wear my poppy with pride..........

We will remember them
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:55 am

wear it with pride indeed

b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 am

Do you not think that its so sad, that things have come to this? What I mean is, everything has to be soooo PC? I can see people outside our local TK Maxx later on, protesting with massive poppies, making a statement! And I don't blame them! But tomorow is Rememberance day! Its a day to remember the 2 WW's and all our dead and what they died for. Over here it will be a protest at a clothes shop!!
Maybe its a sales thing..............
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:16 am

I will never go near that peace making Dunns!!
Set between a loyalist stronghold and a wannabe ever advancing Ardoyne one can be excused for letting them be!!The simple truth is 90% are stinking to the bone and dirty basta.ards!

All will shop but again all will cry whilst shopping there!Loyalists want better than a stately gripe and will get it!!!!After all we're very British and always will be!!
66-1120597113

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:35 am

At 11 they stood still and felt how it was to be British!!
Forefathers died in pain
They died for our feeling
We can all walk bye
Some can
Some cant
All should know that we proudly remain British!
All willl know that we are British

Over the trench
Want home
I can excuse
Home is good,can you be there?Live to be a lover in my life
Not a sacrilage to be one!
And they fought!

I cant ever imagine how lucky we are to be British

I am happy!
66-1120597113

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:42 am

Once again PC corectness gone mad.When are these people going to realise the crazy decisions they make,cause more offence.I hope the people of N.Ireland hit them were it hurts in the pocket.

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN,AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
84-1106852058

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Mikz wrote: :angry: disgraceful. Id never shop in it anyway its like paddys market.

Are you blaming the Irish in NI for this?

I can't imagine any catholics up there objecting to it as many thousands of Irishman from south and north fought in both ww1 and ww2.

Take your anger out on TK Maxx but don't blame the catholics for it!!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:15 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Mikz wrote::angry: disgraceful. Id never shop in it anyway its like paddys market.

I can't imagine any catholics up there objecting to it as many thousands of Irishman from south and north fought in both ww1 and ww2.

I don't think that Mikz is blaming anyone for this. Hes just saying it's like "paddys market" (its a figure of speech) And if you have shopped in it, you would know how everything is all over the place and you can't find anything. Its like an every day jumble sale.....
If you had read the it from the start, there was a quote from a Catholic, called Mary...
"One, named Mary, said "I am a Catholic and I won't shop at TK Maxx again - do they not relise that Catholic people wear poppies too?"
No one is blaming anyone except TK Maxx for this.
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:42 pm

Poppy wearing is seen as yet another badge of "Britishness" in Ireland.Same as bowler hats,naming your kid Nigel,and carrying a full length umbrella in the July marching season.Wearing one is seen as a political statement rather than any remembrance of the dead.Im surprised the Northerners on this thread arent aware of that.I notice the same shop has banned people wearing Lilies during Easter,presumably because that is similarly seen as an "Irish" thing.Personally,i agree with them.The poppy like the lily have been hijacked by narrow minded people in Ireland to further their own shady political aspirations.Is there not enough division in Ireland already,without arguing over the wearing of a flower? ???
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:04 pm

kazza 1 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:
Mikz wrote::angry: disgraceful. Id never shop in it anyway its like paddys market.

I don't think that Mikz is blaming anyone for this. Hes just saying it's like "paddys market" (its a figure of speech) And if you have shopped in it, you would know how everything is all over the place and you can't find anything. Its like an every day jumble sale.....
If you had read the it from the start, there was a quote from a Catholic, called Mary...
"One, named Mary, said "I am a Catholic and I won't shop at TK Maxx again - do they not relise that Catholic people wear poppies too?"
No one is blaming anyone except TK Maxx for this.

Thanks for sorting me out there. I never heard the expression "paddy market" and thought it was an anti-Irish comment.

I disagree with greenred though, something can only be hijacked if you let it be e.g. St patricks day should be just as much protestant as catholic in NI as it celebrates christianity but it is now a repubican celebration.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:07 pm

greenred wrote:Poppy wearing is seen as yet another badge of "Britishness" in Ireland.Same as bowler hats,naming your kid Nigel,and carrying a full length umbrella in the July marching season.Wearing one is seen as a political statement rather than any remembrance of the dead.Im surprised the Northerners on this thread arent aware of that.I notice the same shop has banned people wearing Lilies during Easter,presumably because that is similarly seen as an "Irish" thing.Personally,i agree with them.The poppy like the lily have been hijacked by narrow minded people in Ireland to further their own shady political aspirations.Is there not enough division in Ireland already,without arguing over the wearing of a flower? ???

Greenred , would you be offended by the poppy?

Its not like the orange order marches celebrating victory over catholics (not too many catholics were with the Kaiser!)

For once catholics and protestants fought together and so it should be a uniting day.

I am sure you are aware of John redmond leading all those southerners (mistakingly in my view) to join the british army and fight in ww1. Why should there descendents not remember them.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum