Justice for the poppy - Its a disgrace

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:18 pm

Big Niall wrote:I disagree with greenred though, something can only be hijacked if you let it be e.g. St patricks day should be just as much protestant as catholic in NI as it celebrates christianity but it is now a repubican celebration.

Paddys day isnt a divisive issue though Niall.Poppies and Lilies are.Keep the positives and dump the negatives,thats my opinion.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:21 pm

Big Niall wrote:Greenred , would you be offended by the poppy?

Its not like the orange order marches celebrating victory over catholics (not too many catholics were with the Kaiser!)

For once catholics and protestants fought together and so it should be a uniting day.

I am sure you are aware of John redmond leading all those southerners (mistakingly in my view) to join the british army and fight in ww1. Why should there descendents not remember them.

Im not offended by the poppy Niall.Just like im not offended by the lily.I just know i wouldnt wear a poppy walking down the Falls and i wouldnt wear a lily in the Shankhill.Id be asking for a lynching in both places.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Its a shame,both communities in Northern Ireland,profess to be standimg for freedom and liberty.Yet at this time of year they cant/wont wear an emblem that remembers men and women who fought for freedom and liberty and made the ultimate sacrifice.
  Excuse my ignorance could you enlighten me to the significance of the Lily as I didnt know it was worn for a particular reason.
84-1106852058

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:15 pm

greenred wrote:I just know i wouldnt wear a poppy walking down the Falls and i wouldnt wear a lily in the Shankhill.Id be asking for a lynching in both places.

fking sad times we live in when you cant wear a flower in your button hole without risk of death.

I'd wear my poppy out of spite if I worked at tk maxx, hey mr.maxx come and tell me I cant wear my poppy to remember my relatives that died in both wars, come on, I'll punch ya fucking face in ya prick. TK Maxx - my arse.

GREENRED - I thought things had been sorted out in Ireland now?? I will admit I aint really kept up to date with affairs over there recently.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:46 pm

Some things never change Lee J.It might be another fifty years before the hatred disappears for good.Our present group of politicians have a lot to answer for.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:50 pm

The Red Baron wrote: Excuse my ignorance could you enlighten me to the significance of the Lily as I didnt know it was worn for a particular reason.

The lily commemerates the Irish dead in the fight for Independence.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:03 pm

greenred wrote:
The Red Baron wrote: Excuse my ignorance could you enlighten me to the significance of the Lily as I didnt know it was worn for a particular reason.

Would the lily be worn throughout Eire,ie sold in schools etc.or just by politically minded people.Not looking for an arguement I am just interested.
84-1106852058

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 pm

The Red Baron wrote:
greenred wrote:

Would the lily be worn throughout Eire,ie sold in schools etc.or just by politically minded people.Not looking for an arguement I am just interested.

Dont know mate.I live in France. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:10 pm

Oh,I see,perhaps you could tell why the French wear onions around their necks :eyebrow
84-1106852058

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:25 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Oh,I see,perhaps you could tell why the French wear onions around their necks :eyebrow

Dont know about onions but they seem to use garlic as au de toilette.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:36 pm

The lilly isn't worn that much really. However they are bringing back a commemoration march on Easter Monday every year for the 1916 Easter Rising which kicked off our independence (probably our equivilant of your trafalgar celebrations but a bit more sombre)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Big Niall wrote:
kazza 1 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:
Mikz wrote::angry: disgraceful. Id never shop in it anyway its like paddys market.

Ps good win today for the wee glens eh.

Are you blaming the Irish in NI for this?

I can't imagine any catholics up there objecting to it as many thousands of Irishman from south and north fought in both ww1 and ww2.

Take your anger out on TK Maxx but don't blame the catholics for it!!!

I don't think that Mikz is blaming anyone for this. Hes just saying it's like "paddys market" (its a figure of speech) And if you have shopped in it, you would know how everything is all over the place and you can't find anything. Its like an every day jumble sale.....
If you had read the it from the start, there was a quote from a Catholic, called Mary...
"One, named Mary, said "I am a Catholic and I won't shop at TK Maxx again - do they not relise that Catholic people wear poppies too?"
No one is blaming anyone except TK Maxx for this.

Thanks for sorting me out there. I never heard the expression "paddy market" and thought it was an anti-Irish comment.

I disagree with greenred though, something can only be hijacked if you let it be e.g. St patricks day should be just as much protestant as catholic in NI as it celebrates christianity but it is now a repubican celebration.

Not a problem mate!! Glad to help!

I did not know about the the lilly until I read it here! Its sad that we can't remember our war dead they way we want to, no matter what war they fought in :(
Also, I did'nt do Irish history in school. So we did'nt do the Easter Rising 1916. So I looked it up and just for you Red Barron, heres a site about it......

http://www.easter1916.net/ 

And heres what the Easter Lilly looks like.....
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am

I mentioned this thread to an english friend of mine and he said he wouldn't wear the poppy as it commemerates the dead in a lot of wars he thinks are wrong and singled out the falklands war, Iraq, and the old colonial wars ( I got the impression all wars bar WW2 really)

INteresting perspective, if somebody dies in a war for a cause you find to be morally wrong, how should you act?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:25 pm

I agree to what your mate said. I have a nephew, who is in Basra at the moment. Its his 2nd tour. I don't agree the "Iraq war" simply because of the way George Bush went about it! But many British soliders have died out there and if wearing a poppy is our way to remember them, so be it!
I dont think theres any right or wrong way to act. If any thing happened to my nephew it would break my heart. But he knew what he was getting into. Soliders sign up to keep their country, people and Crown safe from terriosts. Dying or being injured in another country must always be in the back of their minds.
So if its morally or immorally wrong, it don't matter. Young men and women are still dying and we still have to remember them in some way............
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:34 pm

Respect the man,not his paymasters.What ever the rights and wrongs of a conflict,a soldier has no say.If he is sent to war,off he goes.Personally if my country is involved in military action of any sort,regardless of my thoughts,those in the field have my complete backing.
  Your friend chooses not to buy a poppy,that is his perogative.I find his argument a bit shallow.The fallen of any war should be honoured,they have made the ultimate sacrifice.Iwear my poppy to remember those killed serving there country whatever the circumstances
84-1106852058

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum