Great britain team given ok - Wtf?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Apparently FIFA in their infinate wisdom have given the OK to a Great Britain football team.

Like we haven't got enough fixtures in a season to risk injuring our players with

well done FIFA you office full of w@nkers. Theres more common sense in my left bollok.  :veryangry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/7785935.stm
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:29 pm

It's for the Olympics, nothing else, and Scotland is massively against so wno't happen anyways.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:34 pm

should have done that years ago, then we could have had giggs on the left (even tho he's a manc player), As weve had loads of probs on that side, and been unbalanced
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 pm

dawson99 wrote:It's for the Olympics, nothing else, and Scotland is massively against so wno't happen anyways.

I believe that the main reason they are against it is BECAUSE they are afraid FIFA will take it as a sign of weakness or something and then make GB play as a one country in the World Cup and Euros. But if FIFA told Scotland Wales and N. Ireland that its ok if you play as GB in the Olympics and then you can go back to being your own country, I don't see why Scotland would want to deny its footballer the chance to play in the London Olympics.

Did some more reading and it looks like the other home nations are really against it. And it mainly seems that they just don't take FIFA for their word.  I would think the only way possible is if they got something in writing that secured all the home nations the right to compete as their own nations forever in FIFA and UEFA tournaments  in exchange for the one off creation and then dissolution of a GB football team for the London Olympics
JoeTerp

Postby Big Niall » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:23 pm

So England plus a 40 year old Ryan Giggs?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:43 pm

christ almighty, its a british olympic team, why should it be good enough for every other sporting profession except football?
burjennio

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Big Niall wrote:So England plus a 40 year old Ryan Giggs?

im on about years ago niall - ffs read what i put
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Judge wrote:should have done that years ago, then we could have had giggs on the left (even tho he's a manc player), As weve had loads of probs on that side, and been unbalanced

read again niall - the bit in the bold writing
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:27 pm

dawson99 wrote:It's for the Olympics, nothing else, and Scotland is massively against so wno't happen anyways.

It makes no difference whether the other home nations oppose it. Fifa have clearly stated that if needs be the team can be made up of all English players.

As for the extra fixtures, well its debatable whether it will have an impact. For a start Football at the Olympics is an under 21 sport with the facility of up to 3 over 21 players to be involved. I imagine the team would be made up of players who have not had a part in the Euros that year.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 pm

IMO, I think it would put a bit of a stain on the olympics if the home country ( which automatically qualifies in every event) whose home sport is the World's Sport, did not participate in that sport in the international sporting events of international sporting events.  I can understand that the home nations want to hold on to their identity, but there hasn't been any indication that by agreeing to this one off event that they will be putting that at risk. They seem to be creating their own paranoia and from an outside perspective it doesn't look attractive trying sooo hard not to play with other Brits.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:35 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

It makes no difference whether the other home nations oppose it. Fifa have clearly stated that if needs be the team can be made up of all English players.

As for the extra fixtures, well its debatable whether it will have an impact. For a start Football at the Olympics is an under 21 sport with the facility of up to 3 over 21 players to be involved. I imagine the team would be made up of players who have not had a part in the Euros that year.

unless they are changing it for the next olympics its U23 not U21.  And the team wouldn't even have to bother with qualification because its automatic.

If all the other home nations said no, I think that would put England in a tough position, because even though a GB team would be mostly all English, it would be tought to call a team "team GB" without any Welsh, Scots, or Northern Irish involved in the process. Would they wear the three lions or shirts with the Union Jack on it?
JoeTerp

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:11 pm

It's pointless and you can see why the other home nations are against it.

There isn't one Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish player that would get in the team. 

Gareth Bale and Craig Gordon are perhaps good enough for the squad.  David Healy who is by far N Ireland's best player wouldn't even make the squad on merit.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

john craig wrote:It's pointless and you can see why the other home nations are against it.

There isn't one Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish player that would get in the team. 

Gareth Bale and Craig Gordon are perhaps good enough for the squad.  David Healy who is by far N Ireland's best player wouldn't even make the squad on merit.

Its U23 mate and I'll bet you that Ramsey would make the team in 3.5 years time if the team get the go ahead. I'll have to check the exact cut off but if Bale is under 23 when it rolls around he would probably be the captain.

Fran Merida could play on the team if Spain don't qualify (since its the Olympics I think players are even allowed to play for more than one country (over multiple olympics)
JoeTerp

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:36 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
john craig wrote:It's pointless and you can see why the other home nations are against it.

Its U23 mate and I'll bet you that Ramsey would make the team in 3.5 years time if the team get the go ahead. I'll have to check the exact cut off but if Bale is under 23 when it rolls around he would probably be the captain

Was thinking hypothetically about a full GB team if it happened.  Fair points regarding the Olympic team though.  Wales have a good crop coming through so they could be well represented.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:05 pm

You can't have Eng, Scot, N Ire and Wales playing as themselves - as 'hosts can we really not have a GB team in the land where the richest football league resides, the home of football ???

Whats all the palava about - it's obvious London 12 without a GB footie team would be a complete joke !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum