World best left back - Who is the greatest lb

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 83-1165837413 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 pm

There are some players in this world who are great players because of the others that play around them.

Ashley Cole was good at Arsenal, but has struggled at Chelsea.
He is still trying to find his feet there in a club where he only had Lampard and Terry to help him when he joined, because he didnt know anyone else.

I dont think he is that great a left back.

Riise is a very competent left back but really wants to be going forward alot more than he is.

Zambrotta is an interesting one.

Roberto Carlos is over the hill and I laugh at anyone who suggests Heinze as the best.

Matt Taylor from Pompey could soon emerge on the world stage......definite international material but of course, not the best......well not yet anyway.
83-1165837413

Postby Jedi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Sir Neville The Red wrote:Matt Taylor from Pompey could soon emerge on the world stage......definite international material but of course, not the best......well not yet anyway.

If Matt Taylor plays over 10 games for England I will run bollocko from one end of the KOP to the other.

A few good goals and he is the next best thing.
Jedi

Postby liverpool009 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm

i think its Heinze orA.cole

liverpool009

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Taylor isn't that good of a player. He scores fantastic goals but he isn't a great defender.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Barca Murph » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Zambrotta for me, although he's currently playing RB for Barca. He can well just as well on either flank.

The person who said Carlos made me laugh, he can't defend for :censored:  :laugh:
Barca Murph

Postby The Magician » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:37 pm

Paolo Maldini
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm

So people here think the England full back is the best in the whole world? have you guys learned nothing from the world cup? STOP believing that all your players are so wonderful - they are not. Zambrotta is so much better that it is laughable.

The guy who suggested Roberto Carlos is the dumbest of all though - do you watch football or just nike adds? I suppose Beckham is the best midfielder then is he?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:37 pm

I think Gallas is outsatnding when he plays at LB.
mattylfc

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm

All the truly great left backs of the last decade are just about past it now.  Lizarazu, Roberto Carlos and Maldini were all exceptional players, but only Maldini still looks the part at the top level.

Ashley Cole is a good player but vastly overrated.  Heinze is quality but always has a mistake in him I feel.

To be honest Evra is the best left back I have seen this season.  Looked a clown when United first signed him, but he's tightened up defensively now and looks class going forward.

I also think that when he plays there, Gallas is as good as any left back in the world right now, even if it's his weaker side - the guy's probably the best defender in the world in that he is world class at centre half, right back or left back.  You can't really say that about any other defender, except maybe Maldini again.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Ashley cole was the worlds best club playing left back when he was at arsenal without a doubt, but like others say it is about who is around you as well. right now id have to say zambrotta maybe... not maldini anymore i would say and roberto carlos? HAHAHAHAHa
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Remember guys, Left Backs are supposed to be Defenders but the modern game demands that they have to get forward and that is Cole's trump card, his pace.
Thinking back, remember just how good Stuart Pearce was.... He was feared by forwards for his defensive abilities and he actually finished top scorer one season for Forest (albeit he was the penalty taker) can you imagine what Pearce would have been like had he the pace of someone like Cole?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion