Greatest ever england player

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Fair enough, I think you're talking b0llocks.
LFC2007

Postby In and Out » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:50 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Fair enough, I think you're talking b0llocks.

Me or Niall?
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:22 pm

In and Out wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Fair enough, I think you're talking b0llocks.

Me or Niall?

Niall. I agree with most of what you said especially regarding the team's mentality. The team was far more composed in possession once Defoe scored against Slovenia, and that was the difference to the other two performances, more so than any system or the personnel deployed. We know what these guys can do, because they did it in qualifying, and they do it for their clubs. Lampard in particular comes in for sharp criticism but I saw him setup Rooney for our best chance in the second half against Slovenia with a lovely ball into the box, and another slide-rule ball previous to it that Xavi would've been proud of. He's obviously not in the same class as Xavi - he's a different kind of player, too, but FFS he's the highest scoring premier league midfielder of all time, and he gets loads of assists, so I don't buy that he's just run of the mill. If he is, why have Chelsea won three titles with him in the middle of the park in almost every game? Why wouldn't they go and sign up one of those German or South American lads instead? Why did Mourinho try and sign for Inter Milan? It's because he's actually quite a good footballer, IMO. I'd be content with Barry and him in the middle, Gerrard ahead, with Cole on the left and Milner on the right, all supporting Rooney. Or even Gerrard on the right. As long as the setup broadly speaking puts players in suitable positions and includes our best players, the system shouldn't prevent us from progressing, and then it just becomes a case of getting the mentality right. We're not talking a 38 game season here, we're talkling cup football and one-off performances where you don't have to play sparkling football (we don't even have to score in open play), and if teams like Bulgaria, Turkey, South Korea, Sweden and Croatia can make it to the semis, why not this England team?
LFC2007

Postby In and Out » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Actually I do remember that pass he played into Rooney, probably the best pass of the game. I don't like to give him too much credit because he's a chav tw@t, but I agree with the sentiments in your post.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:34 pm

We'll know in the next few weeks who is talking :censored:.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't think we will, Niall, because we're starting from fundamentally different positions. You think the squad lacks the ability to progress further, I don't. So, if it doesn't turn out well, I won't be pointing to a lack of quality, I'll be asking why they didn't perform - like they did in qualifying, like they do so regularly for their clubs. You, on the other hand will claim that the squad lacks technical ability....and like I said, I don't think Khedira, Mertesacker, Podolski and co are any better than Gerrard, Terry, Rooney and co, in fact I think the opposite.
LFC2007

Postby Big Niall » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:03 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I don't think we will, Niall, because we're starting from fundamentally different positions. You think the squad lacks the ability to progress further, I don't. So, if it doesn't turn out well, I won't be pointing to a lack of quality, I'll be asking why they didn't perform - like they did in qualifying, like they do so regularly for their clubs. You, on the other hand will claim that the squad lacks technical ability....and like I said, I don't think Khedira, Mertesacker, Podolski and co are any better than Gerrard, Terry, Rooney and co, in fact I think the opposite.

If a team doesn't perform up to your expectatons for 40 years, don't you think it likely that your expectations are too high ? they didn't even qualify for the Euros just two years ago.

While Greece showed that average teams can win if things go right, it is usually a top team that wins.
Last edited by Big Niall on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Big Niall wrote:If a team doesn't perform up to your expectatons for 40 years, don't you think it likely that your expectations are too high ? they didn't even qualify for the Euros just two years ago.

While Greece showed that average teams can win if things go right, it is usually a top team that wins.

I'm not asking the England team to perform to my expectations of 40 years. Simply to perform to the maximum of their abilities. If they do that, they can go far. They didn't perform anywhere near to the height of their abilities in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, hence they didn't qualify.

England are a top team, with top players, Greece were not.
LFC2007

Postby Big Niall » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:30 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:If a team doesn't perform up to your expectatons for 40 years, don't you think it likely that your expectations are too high ? they didn't even qualify for the Euros just two years ago.

I'm not asking the England team to perform to my expectations of 40 years. Simply to perform to the maximum of their abilities. If they do that, they can go far. They didn't perform anywhere near to the height of their abilities in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, hence they didn't qualify.

England are a top team, with top players, Greece were not.

I don't think we're going to agree.

I dont' think England are a top team (or ever have been) and I don't think they have a strong team/squad of players. They are a good team about the level of Portugal(both now and the historically)
Last edited by Big Niall on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Rooney
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Having to think about this one..  I'm finding it hard to compare a goalie with a midfielder or a full back with a stricker..
Redx

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion