Steven gerrards drem team xi - Whats yours

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Mikz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:08 pm

0asis wrote:
Mikz wrote:Puskas, wasnt he the little fat git? :D  Him and Di Stefano were some pair eh. You mentioned Bergomi, Id forgot about him and  Andy Brehme, one of the best defenders Ive ever seen.
  But to omit Maradona? ???? ??? And Pele? ??? Everyone has their own ideas on these things , but I would be pretty sure Pele was a better striker than Gerty Muller ???

Puskas was a tubby little man, but that didn't stop him teaching players how to play techincally advanced football same for Sandor Kosics of Hungary. He'd be another players I'd stick in my 23 man team. Gerd Muller scored 14 goals in World Cup finals, Pele scored 12, I think that says it all really.

Id still put Pele above gerty Muller. But if its goals ya want -Just Fontaine scored as much in just one world cup..what does that say eh eh? :D

Another Hungarian great , although obviously more mordern was a fella called Lajos Detari. He was absolutely brilliant, its just a pity he was never able to play in the world cup.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Pele Over Muller ???  You  been drinking lad ????  You forget that Pele could also tackle, head, pass, defend , dribble, Shoot from outside the box and provide goals.

Muller reminded me of the kind of guy at school who did feck all and goal - hanged all game because there was no offside :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Dalglish wrote:Pele Over Muller ???  You  been drinking lad ????  You forget that Pele could also tackle, head, pass, defend , dribble, Shoot from outside the box and provide goals.

Muller reminded me of the kind of guy at school who did feck all and goal - hanged all game because there was no offside :D

I believe you were supposed to say Muller over Pele? Pele in my eyes is a great player but vastly over-rated. He's rather like Zlatan Imbrahimovic of today. Sure Pele scored goals and he had an all around ability, but then you had great players like Kosics, Puskas, Muller, Maradona and Cruyff & others. All of these players could also be branded the best players ever to grace football. To me it's all about personal opinion. Altho facts don't lie Pele was only accomplished in the Brazilian leagues, he was never tried and tested in Europe, like players such as Maradona, Puskas etc.

Pele for what he was is vastly overrated. I still rate Maradona and Puskas as much, much better players.
48-1119859832

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am

Pele played in four world cups - won three was deliberately kicked and fouled out of the other. For his time he was without doubt the best player in the world. Pele had the advantage of having great players around him so did Cruyff and Muller. Maradona won the world cup with good not great players around him. For his time he was without doubt the best player in the world. Muller was only good at one thing scoring goals ,at that he was a genius but he didnt score as many as Pele who was good at so much more. Pele and Maradona too close to call. Different times, different balls, different styles,training etc.etc. Muller against Pele not even close thats like compairing Linneka(SP) to Kingkenny ones a great goalscorer the others a great PLAYER. The galloping major Puskas had the best left foot in the world (or so I have heard, as I have never seen him play, only the clips on Tv against England and Eintrecht so I cant really make any judgement.) As Oasis rightly says its only personal opinion
account deleted by request

Postby clik » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:00 am

heres mine.....
Shilton
junior
Beckenbaur
Baresi
Maldini
Jarzinho
Zidane
Gerrard
Best
Pele
Greaves
:cool:
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:57 am

Schmichael
Cafu              Moore                Maldini          Carlos

Beckham       Gerrard           Zidane              Best

Rush                    Pele

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:59 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:Schmichael

??? Beckham?
I wouldnt even pick him to clean the boots. :D
Last edited by Mikz on Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Beckham @ right midfield?

Surely you jest?  ???

Don't rate him at all..... all he's good for is putting in crosses and at dead ball situations.....

But maybe you meant your greatest TEAM of all time and not the greatest players in individual positions of all time?

Even then... beckham ???

:laugh: :D
ConnO'var

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:16 pm

I think it's too hard to pick an all time XI to be honest, although players like Best, Maradonna and Pele pick themselves.

Here's my team of the modern era (or 1990s onwards):

Schmeichel

Desailly      Baresi        Maldini

Keane

Figo                 Zidane     Rivaldo         Overmars

Ronaldo  Romario

For me Schmeichel (although he played for the scum) is possibly the greatest keeper ever.  The back 3 were so solid for Milan in the 90's (although Desailly actually played as defensive mid in front of the other 2 back then).  Keane (although a tw@t) is the best tackling midfielder of the modern era, while Zidane and Rivaldo have been the 2 most creative.  Figo was awesome in his prime, giving great penetration down the right flank, while Overmars on the other side was the quickest player I've ever seen while in his early 20's.  Up front, simply the most exciting forward of the modern era before injuries struck (Ronaldo) and the best finisher I've ever seen in Romario (yes even a better finisher than our very own God I hate to say).

...quick edit taking Gerrard out as I just realised that's 12 players :laugh:
Last edited by JC_81 on Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:17 pm

Beckham? better than Jarzinho? give up the weed man :p
clik

Postby clik » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:19 pm

john craig wrote:I think it's too hard to pick an all time XI to be honest, although players like Best, Maradonna and Pele pick themselves.

Schmeichel

Keane

Ronaldo  Romario

For me Schmeichel (although he played for the scum) is possibly the greatest keeper ever.  The back 3 were so solid for Milan in the 90's (although Desailly actually played as defensive mid in front of the other 2 back then).  Keane (although a tw@t) is the best tackling midfielder of the modern era, while Zidane and Rivaldo have been the 2 most creative.  Figo was awesome in his prime, giving great penetration down the right flank, while Overmars on the other side was the quickest player I've ever seen while in his early 20's.  Up front, simply the most exciting forward of the modern era before injuries struck (Ronaldo) and the best finisher I've ever seen in Romario (yes even a better finisher than our very own God I hate to say).

your team allowed 12 players then? :laugh:
clik

Postby clik » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:22 pm

:)
clik

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:26 pm

john craig wrote:I think it's too hard to pick an all time XI to be honest, although players like Best, Maradonna and Pele pick themselves.

Schmeichel

Keane

Ronaldo  Romario

Good looking team there mate.

If I were playing a 4-4-2 in the modern era, I'd definitely have most of the players you picked too.

I'd go for the following team..

Schmeichel

Thuram      Baresi     Desailly     Maldini

Figo           Zidane     Vieira       Overmars

Ronaldo    Romario

Subs
Gerrard for Zidane
Lizarazu for Maldini
Henry for Romario
Keane for Vieira
Zambrotta for either Maldini or Overmars.

:bowdown
ConnO'var

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:33 pm

ConnO'var wrote:If I were playing a 4-4-2 in the modern era, I'd definitely have most of the players you picked too.

I'd go for the following team..

Schmeichel

Thuram      Baresi     Desailly     Maldini

Figo           Zidane     Vieira       Overmars

Ronaldo    Romario

Subs
Gerrard for Zidane
Lizarazu for Maldini
Henry for Romario
Keane for Vieira
Zambrotta for either Maldini or Overmars.

:bowdown

Yep, good looking side too, I'd forgotten about Thuram to be honest, if I'd gone with full backs he's definitely the best right back of the modern era - even better than Cafu imo.

Was tempted to go with Vieira at the expense of Keane and Henry at the expense of Ronaldo, but to be honest they've not really had the impact on the world stage like Keane and Ronaldo have - good club players but they've always struggled to repeat that form in International games.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Modern day x1 90's onwards,
schmeichel
baresi
sammer
maldini
gerrard
koeman
zidane
mattheus