Brazil v croatia

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 am

Brazil were average IMO, they showed some moments of skill but they were poor for large periods of the game. It shows that if teams attack brazil they can most certainly get a result because kaka, ronaldinho, ronaldo and adriano dont get back or close people down very often and against better teams this will be punished...I'd fancy argentina over brazil tbh, brazil have more talent but the argies seem like a complete team. If the aussies attack brazil and am sure they will because huddink is no mug, he will know how to exploit brazils weaknesses, australia could well get a result. Obviously brazil are capable of much better performances but they are not invincible, they do tend to play like this sometimes. In the confederations cup they were absolutely awful against mexico and were deservedly beaten but later in the tournament, the final i think, they battered argentina 4-1. They are very unpredictable, last night most people were expecting to see some lovely football but it was more of a "grind it out" result i think.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:11 pm

at the end of the day they won the game. same with england. the only difference is, we get slaughtered for being poor where as brazil play badly and it's merely an "off day".

ronaldo looked an absolute shadow of his former self, clearly not fit. adriano never got a kick and ronaldinho was trying to do too much.

was quite impressed with croatia mind you. where's AB when you need him? :D

all in all, i can't quite work out how brazil expect their new formation to work. in the last world cup they had 3 centre backs protected by gilberto and kleberson. this year they've got emerson (who's not fully fit) and ze roberto (who's a winger) playing infront of the back four. against a quality side like argentina, riquelme would have had a field day against them.

mind you, the game was worth it just for the goal by kaka. he's gonna be the main man for brazil this world cup, not ronaldinho.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:34 pm

stmichael wrote:at the end of the day they won the game. same with england. the only difference is, we get slaughtered for being poor where as brazil play badly and it's merely an "off day".

I knew someone was going to make that point, but it's not as simple as that imo.

Make no bones about it, it's not as if England even showed flashes of what they can do in their opening game, they were completely non-functional largely due to the midfield Eriksson picked.  Their goal was an og FFS.

Brazil weren't in top gear last night but it was still a comfortable enough win despite the chances Croatia had.  Some of their attacking play was still awesome and for some periods of the game Croatia didn't have a kick.  If that had been England's performance last night and it had been Lampard that scored a goal like Kaka's, the press would have been loving it.

I agree neither England or Brazil have started well, but it's England who have the bigger problems without a doubt.  Without sorting out the midfield they'll be out before the semis.  Brazil on the other hand don't have a problem with their tactics imo, they suffered because both strikers couldn't be @rsed last night and played with basically 9 men, but they have other strikers in the squad more than capable of coming in and doing a job in the next game.

I expect both teams will be much better in their next games, but to put both those performances in the same boat is just wrong imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Adriano must be delighted Ronaldo was sooo lazy that it took the attention off his rubbish performance - what did he do? Brazil played with 9 men for most of the game. If the manager doesn't drop them both then he's a fool.

Their forwards and midfielders make little effort to get back and they switch off at set pieces, also they have loose passes across their defence which reminds me of one of the goals they gave Italy in 1982, in fact I think this brazil team will copy the 1982 team in having great flair and being the best (if they concentrated) but I think somebody will do a Paolo Rossi on them and beat them.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:32 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:11 am

Let me get this straight, I don't hate Australia, why would I live here if i did? I just know my football and believe that they are the 3rd best team in the group and if Croatia and Brasil play to their best Australia won't qualify.  Of course there is the whole "I support two teams, NZ and anyone playing Australia" mentality, but if NZ were in the World Cup (don't laugh, they made it in 1982 :D) there wouldn’t be be any Aussies cheering us on. It's a friendly rivalry, nothing more.

You say Brasil don't have a point to prove? Well to an extent you are right, but you forget it is a nation of 100's of millions of football mad people who scrutinise every performance and expect their team to win while entertaining. If Brazil only scrape a win against Australia (who in their eyes is a minnow of the world game) they won't be that impressed.  Brazil and their fans expect to win the World cup, anything less is deemed a failure, they have to prove how good they are every time they step out on the pitch, you can't imagine the pressure they are under to win.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:08 am

LFC #1 wrote:Let me get this straight, I don't hate Australia, why would I live here if i did? I just know my football and believe that they are the 3rd best team in the group and if Croatia and Brasil play to their best Australia won't qualify.  Of course there is the whole "I support two teams, NZ and anyone playing Australia" mentality, but if NZ were in the World Cup (don't laugh, they made it in 1982 :D) there wouldn’t be be any Aussies cheering us on. It's a friendly rivalry, nothing more.

You say Brasil don't have a point to prove? Well to an extent you are right, but you forget it is a nation of 100's of millions of football mad people who scrutinise every performance and expect their team to win while entertaining. If Brazil only scrape a win against Australia (who in their eyes is a minnow of the world game) they won't be that impressed.  Brazil and their fans expect to win the World cup, anything less is deemed a failure, they have to prove how good they are every time they step out on the pitch, you can't imagine the pressure they are under to win.

Totally agreed with the second paragraph, anything less than bringing the World cup back to Brazil is deemed a failure. So not beating or even losing to Australia would be like armegedon to the Brazillians.

As much as I was glad to see Australia eventually beat Japan in my own home the other night. Its not until I come in to direct contact the next day with Aussies that I think I'd almost wished Japan had won. They say the English go on about '66 they do EXACTLY the same, and so do there pundits. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Infact the next day I had an Aussie come up to me and say......

" England havent scored a goal in the second half for the last three world cups "

"Australia scored three" 

Thats the sort of s'hit there papers print off, and it gets the public believing anything,( same as England). So while all the aUSSIES sit there and say we like being underdogs and just taking part, I say thats BOLLOX you dont, you believe you can do anything, from qualifying out of the group to wininng it.

God I love Oz  :D

P = Prisoner
O = Of
M = Mother England 

???   :D
66-1112520797

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:48 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Let me get this straight, I don't hate Australia, why would I live here if i did? I just know my football and believe that they are the 3rd best team in the group and if Croatia and Brasil play to their best Australia won't qualify.  Of course there is the whole "I support two teams, NZ and anyone playing Australia" mentality, but if NZ were in the World Cup (don't laugh, they made it in 1982 :D) there wouldn’t be be any Aussies cheering us on. It's a friendly rivalry, nothing more.

And if Brasil wins the world cup very few (if any) Brasilian will even care what the results were leading up to the final win. So a minor hiccough against minnows would be inconsequential.

If you go by rankings Australia is the forth ranked team, not the third. But the beauty of the World Cup is that rankings mean stuff all. It's what happens on the day.

Will Australian take points of Brasil?? Probably not but I can hope.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 pm

As much as I was glad to see Australia eventually beat Japan in my own home the other night. Its not until I come in to direct contact the next day with Aussies that I think I'd almost wished Japan had won. They say the English go on about '66 they do EXACTLY the same, and so do there pundits. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Infact the next day I had an Aussie come up to me and say......

" England havent scored a goal in the second half for the last three world cups "

"Australia scored three" 

Thats the sort of s'hit there papers print off, and it gets the public believing anything,( same as England). So while all the aUSSIES sit there and say we like being underdogs and just taking part, I say thats BOLLOX you dont, you believe you can do anything, from qualifying out of the group to wininng it.

God I love Oz 

P = Prisoner
O = Of
M = Mother England 

Mmmm...it's a bit like the Poms winning the Ashes series really. Ah, there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your victories. In fact that's the way it should be.  :nod

But I don't think you are qualified to speak for Australians and what we believe we can do or what our personal hopes and goals might be in this, or any other tournament. To be that presumptious would make you some sort of supersilious prat and I'm sure your not that!!!   :laugh:  But that OK you believe what you want. 

Pound for pound (per head of population) Australia must be one of the world's great sporting nations...you have to admit that surely??  :buttrock
Last edited by Lionheart on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:59 pm

Lionheart wrote:f you go by rankings Australia is the forth ranked team, not the third. But the beauty of the World Cup is that rankings mean stuff all. It's what happens on the day.

Fifa Rankings are inaccurate, how are USA and Mexico so high for example?

Australia, IMO, are a better side than Japan, so thats why I said third.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:02 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
Lionheart wrote:f you go by rankings Australia is the forth ranked team, not the third. But the beauty of the World Cup is that rankings mean stuff all. It's what happens on the day.

Exactly...rankings mean very little. Can be used, at best, as a guide.

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Lionheart wrote:

Mmmm...it's a bit like the Poms winning the Ashes series really. Ah, there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your victories. In fact that's the way it should be.  :nod

But I don't think you are qualified to speak for Australians and what we believe we can do or what our personal hopes and goals might be in this, or any other tournament. To be that presumptious would make you some sort of supersilious prat and I'm sure your not that!!!     But that OK you believe what you want. 

Pound for pound (per head of population) Australia must be one of the world's great sporting nations...you have to admit that surely??  :buttrock

So you can sit there and say that the 'Poms' rub it in about the ashes, which I couldnt really give a rats @rse about. Then carry on in another thread stating we never let up on '66. And you wind it up saying England wont win with that team.

So presuming that and contradicting yourself on what you just said (my last sentence in particular) makes you look like some supersilious prat   
:D

So because I'm not "qualified" to speak for Australians, that does not mean I am not entitled to my view. As I live here I get the first hand hype that surrounds 'soccer' at the mo and the Australian national team. So I am entitled as any other person in the world is to give his or her view on any sporting tournament. I dont need to presume your goals of achievement Australians do that well enough  :laugh:

As for you last sentence this is true and you are a great sporting nation per population.  :buttrock  But if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that same comment.

The reason for me comments about the Aussies, is simply the English get bashed for saying or hoping to win the WC. But every nation would expect or hope something even Oz. I hope the team do well and I will follow them and I'm sure if the can play like they did against Japan they will get out of there group.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:13 pm

LFC #1 wrote:

It's all about the matches you win, U.S.A and Mexico have won a lot of games recently, that's why they are ranked so high, but as Lionheart says, they are only at best a guide.
48-1119859832

Postby Lionheart » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:10 am

Bamaga man wrote:

So presuming that and contradicting yourself on what you just said (my last sentence in particular) makes you look like some supersilious prat   

So because I'm not "qualified" to speak for Australians, that does not mean I am not entitled to my view. As I live here I get the first hand hype that surrounds 'soccer' at the mo and the Australian national team. So I am entitled as any other person in the world is to give his or her view on any sporting tournament. I dont need to presume your goals of achievement Australians do that well enough  :laugh:

As for you last sentence this is true and you are a great sporting nation per population.  :buttrock  But if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that same comment.

The reason for me comments about the Aussies, is simply the English get bashed for saying or hoping to win the WC. But every nation would expect or hope something even Oz. I hope the team do well and I will follow them and I'm sure if the can play like they did against Japan they will get out of there group.

What??

Where's babelfish when you need it??  :sleep

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:38 am

Lionheart wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

What??

Where's babelfish when you need it??  :sleep

Typical response from a typical kid
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion