Brazil v croatia

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:19 pm

On a slight tangent, that Croatia right wing back, Srna, that's the guy we were linked with buying a while back isn't it?  He looked awful.  Harsh to judge him on a night when he is up against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos I know, but even in possession he looked like he had nothing.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:They played within themselves and unlike the likes of England and France who I thought genuinely toiled in their opening games, I always got the impression Brazil could switch to a higher gear if and when required.

I would agree with that but their back four also looked prone to switching off at a crucial time and getting punished for it.  For a time there in the second half, it looked like Croatia might knick a goal.  I have a feeling, though, that, had that happened, Ronaldinho, Kaka or Robinho would have found another gear and Brazil would have struck back quickly.  I don't fancy Australia or Japan's chances against them but it is so much more effective to get after them and not let them dictate tempo so easily.

I'd agree their defence isn't exactly water-tight and if they played like that against someone like Italy or the Czechs they'd certainly have lost.  That's the thing though, you always feel that they do just enough and that if Croatia had scored tonight, Brazil would have come out of their shells and scored again.

In the latter stages of the competition I expect Brazil to have upped their game considerably.  Even if their defence is questionable, the problem is getting any possession against a midfield containing Kaka, Ronaldinho etc to enable you to get at their defence.  They're by no means invincible, but still the clear favourites as far as I'm concerned.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:01 pm

7_Kewell wrote:Brazil look very average at the back

Brazil have always looked average at the back, it's because they've always had superior midfielders and strikers, that they have achieved so much in the World of football. They are by far the best attacking unit in the World, and they have been for decades. Defensively they in my eyes have always been at best average.

Brazil tonight just did what they needed to do, they didn't play their best, but then again they shouldn't and don't need to either. It's not a good sign to peak and play this well this early in this tournement, you're very best football should come when you really need it, against the bigger teams.

As someone said in this thread, Brazil looked like they could notch up a few more levels if they needed to. Ronaldo had a terrible game, I don't think he can manage it on the big stages anymore, saying that he had a bad 98 final and bounced back, but I'd start with Robinho in future, whose a livewire.

I agree with a few ppl on here, I too get sick of all the attention and praise Brazil get, but like it or not they are one of the best teams in the world, they play fantastic and beautiful football, they are the current World Champions, so it's no surprise they are always talked about. They also house some of the best talent on the planet as well, so of course they will talk about Brazil a lot.

It's upto countries like England, Argentina, Italy, Holland, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Mexico, Portugal and others to knock Brazil off their perch. These counties are able to win the tournement, but must raise our games if we are to win this World Cup.
48-1119859832

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Tell you what lads , all this stuff about "Brasil stepping up a gear " makes me laugh . What exactley do you mean by it ? They may quicken the tempo ? OK , for how long ?

Brasil have never played an all out high tempo game in their entire history . the very essence of their game is slow slow quick quick slow . They may very well have been playing within themselves tonight BUT imo they were struggling to "step up " to another "gear ".

I honestly fancy a team like Argentina ,Italy or even England  against the admitedly talented but on tonights performance, over-hyped Brasilians .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Tell you what lads , all this stuff about "Brasil stepping up a gear " makes me laugh . What exactley do you mean by it ? They may quicken the tempo ? OK , for how long ?

Brasil have never played an all out high tempo game in their entire history . the very essence of their game is slow slow quick quick slow . They may very well have been playing within themselves tonight BUT imo they were struggling to "step up " to another "gear ".

I honestly fancy a team like Argentina ,Italy or even England  against the admitedly talented but on tonights performance, over-hyped Brasilians .

Hmm dont know, Wasnt everyone saying that in 2002? And they've got a much stronger team now. Brazil have the ability to beat any team any day, they've just got too much talent for any team to cope. Brazil can easily play 10x what they played today,they didnt put much effort into it today, cant wait to see what else they can produce when they play well.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby stew_the_red » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Isn't Brazil spelt with a Z rather than an S between the A and the I, have I got it wrong or are there a lot of stupid people?
stew_the_red

Postby GOAT » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:44 pm

always thought we spelt it Brazil and brazilians spell it Brasil
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Stew,you've got it wrong , again .
Go join the queue of "stupid people" smart a*rse

According to this article,Brazil was never a correct way of spelling Brasil. The name brasil comes from pau-brasil, a kind of wood which abounded in the Brazilian coast; brasil, in turn, comes from "brasa", Portuguese word for ???.

So, if Brasil has always been the correct form, why do English speaking countries use the variation Brazil?

This was caused by a Historical confusion.

The Brazilian Academy of Letters was founded only in 1897; until then, there was not any official institution in Brazil to issue norms on orthograhy; besides, only a small fraction of Brazilian society had access to education.
As a consequence, as there was not an "official" or "correct" definition on how to spell it, some people used to write "Brazil", while others used "Brasil".

This lack of definition had influence even in official documents.
Let´s take, for example, the Brazilian bills of the epoch.
Image Image

The first bill  dates back to 1917.
Notice the inscription "Republica dos Estados Unidos" at the top, and the "do Brazil" right under it.
However, this other bill , printed in 1921, brings the inscription "Republica dos Estados Unidos do Brasil".
This confusion lasted until 1945, when Brazil and Portugal met and agreed on the first Orthographic Vocabulary of Portuguese Language; such vocabulary defined the form "Brasil".

So, during a few decades, both Brazil and Brasil were used, even in official documents. Probably, during that period, the word "Brazil" was used more often than Brasil in English speaking countries. Even after Brazilians decided in favor of "Brasil", other countries continued using the form Brasil.

At least do some f'ucking homework before you casually label other people as "stupid " ,
A bit like me calling you a lazy kunt without checking that you might not in fact be lazy at all .  :D   :D   :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:11 am

woof woof ! wrote:Stew,you've got it wrong , again .
Go join the queue of "stupid people" smart a*rse

According to this article,Brazil was never a correct way of spelling Brasil. The name brasil comes from pau-brasil, a kind of wood which abounded in the Brazilian coast; brasil, in turn, comes from "brasa", Portuguese word for ???.

So, if Brasil has always been the correct form, why do English speaking countries use the variation Brazil?

This was caused by a Historical confusion.

The Brazilian Academy of Letters was founded only in 1897; until then, there was not any official institution in Brazil to issue norms on orthograhy; besides, only a small fraction of Brazilian society had access to education.
As a consequence, as there was not an "official" or "correct" definition on how to spell it, some people used to write "Brazil", while others used "Brasil".

This lack of definition had influence even in official documents.
Let´s take, for example, the Brazilian bills of the epoch.
Image Image

The first bill  dates back to 1917.
Notice the inscription "Republica dos Estados Unidos" at the top, and the "do Brazil" right under it.
However, this other bill , printed in 1921, brings the inscription "Republica dos Estados Unidos do Brasil".
This confusion lasted until 1945, when Brazil and Portugal met and agreed on the first Orthographic Vocabulary of Portuguese Language; such vocabulary defined the form "Brasil".

So, during a few decades, both Brazil and Brasil were used, even in official documents. Probably, during that period, the word "Brazil" was used more often than Brasil in English speaking countries. Even after Brazilians decided in favor of "Brasil", other countries continued using the form Brasil.

At least do some f'ucking homework before you casually label other people as "stupid " ,
A bit like me calling you a lazy kunt without checking that you might not in fact be lazy at all .  :D   :D   :D

:Oo:  What don't you know?  :D A walking encyclopaedia...unless you cheated?? hmm...
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:24 am

GOAT wrote: :D A walking encyclopaedia...unless you cheated?? hmm...

Like I said to Stew , "do your homework before you casually label other people"

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby TheoRacle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:27 am

I got up early in Oz to watch the game and ended up kinda hoping that the Croats would get an equalizer even though it would hurt the Aussie's chances.  Craotia certainly deserved to get something out of the game as Brazil seemed to think it was just a training exercise today.  Ronaldo was obviously wishing he'd been allowed to stay at the hotel buffet rather than suffer the trip out to the stadium and be forced to stand in the hot sun for an hour and even Adriano didn't give the Croats anything to worry about.  IMO only Ranaldinho, Kaka, Cafu and Lucio played well today, Carlos still has an amazing shot and a fair turn of speed for his age but the suicidal pass across his own box nearly let Prso in.  If it wans't for Lucio and some ordinary finishing from the Croatians Brazil might have found themselves a goal down.

Of course Ronaldinho, Kaka, Cafu and Lucio are nearly good enough to beat most teams on their own but the rest of the Brazillian team are playing a dangerous game if they think they can swan about doing the bare minimum to get by and 'raise their game' when they need to! I wonder what Brazil would have done if they were in Japan's position and 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go? Not so sure they would have come back - rather, a good chance that Aloisi would have gone on to get the third judging by the Brazillian defensive display today.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:09 am

LFC #1 wrote:They were pretty average, but they were playing with 10 men for much of the game. Australia should be worried, as make no mistake, Brasil will come out with 10x the intensity they had tonight.

Ronaldo was a joke. His work rate was 0, I don't care if he's not 100%, a 90 year old would have put in more effort. Still Brasil got the points and will be out to prove a point against Australia, so I expect a 2+ goal win for Brasil in that one.

Croatia looked excellent, and tbh if Brazil get a big win against

LFC#1...you are starting to sound like an embittered wannabee. You just don't get it do you?? :no

Australia should be worried, as make no mistake, Brasil will come out with 10x the intensity they had tonight.
Well you'd bl00dy well hope so. They were :censored: tonight (morning here in Oz) and afterall, they ARE overwhelming favourites to retain their title as World Champions.

Still Brasil got the points and will be out to prove a point against Australia, so I expect a 2+ goal win for Brasil in that one.
What point do they have to prove?? That they are ranked higher than Australia? That they deserve more understanding from their fans around the world?? That they will make Australia look average.

They don't have anything to prove to anybody. They are WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! In fact on tonight's results they could probably take their foot off the pedal and drop into cruise mode for their next match against those hicks from down there. Afterall, Croatia are the far more experienced and pedigreed side that those lucky lads from Down Under. Their next game should be a walk in the park.

I bl00dy HOPE they will be thinking this... :eyebrow

Look...Australia is there for the experience. They had a great result in the first match but the pundits would have you believe were will cop a hiding against Brasil. Perhaps we will...perhaps we will put up a good fight. Who knows, the game hasn't been played yet.

It just not about the winning. It's about pride but it's also about learning to walk before you can run. Considert he following analogy, Australia is like a  14 year old school lad lining up against a Asafa Powell or a Carl Lewis in the 100 mts. He probably shouldn't be there. BUT...what if Powell falls at start, pulls a hamstring, etc.??

Aussies usually thrive on being the underdog.

Prior to the start of the opening fixture in Japan/Korea 2002 I imagine that some fans may have been having a similar discussion about France and Senegal. There is just NO WAY Senegal should beat France. But they did and France was the first current champion team to be eliminated from the World Cup in the first round.

This is why we follow 'The Beautiful Game'...you just never know!!!

Sure, all the odds look to be against us (Remember Istanbul LFC v AC Milan...we shouldn't have come back from that either...BUT WE DID!!!)...

Brasil should absolutely slaughter Australia (well in excess of 2 goals in fact). There you go I said it...

BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!!!

Now stop sounding like an embittered lad and be off with you!!!         :D
Last edited by Lionheart on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:40 am

Lionheart reckon you should take it easy on LFC#1, it can't be easy being a knowledgeable football fan and a Kiwi, living in Sydney at the moment.

Can you imagine.... he is sitting in a bar and a bearded baff (who suddenly knows a lot about football) sits next him and talks footie. LFC#1 obviously gonna set him straight. When the Baff realises he is out of his depth, his only comeback will be 'talk to me when NZ qualifies'.

This has got to be frustating as hell. Its ok if you support Australia, its easier to ignore these 'sudden football experts' and their opinions.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:24 am

babu wrote:Lionheart reckon you should take it easy on LFC#1, it can't be easy being a knowledgeable football fan and a Kiwi, living in Sydney at the moment.

Can you imagine.... he is sitting in a bar and a bearded baff (who suddenly knows a lot about football) sits next him and talks footie. LFC#1 obviously gonna set him straight. When the Baff realises he is out of his depth, his only comeback will be 'talk to me when NZ qualifies'.

This has got to be frustating as hell. Its ok if you support Australia, its easier to ignore these 'sudden football experts' and their opinions.

I thought he was a 'bitter' Kiwi living in Oz. I suppose in some circles that must be like a hell...hating the hell out of your hosts but relying on them to feed you.  :D

I'll take your point and behave myself Babu.    :eyebrow

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:44 am

Very poor, but they will get much better.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion