Argentina v serbia & montenegro

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby chris4069 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:59 pm

if England meets Argentina, it will be difficult to defeat them because it's a team strong technical and physical.
i think Argentina is part of favourite teams of world cup.

it's that i think  :)
chris4069

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:03 pm

That was an absolute master class in pass and move football.  The first two goals looked absolutely effortless....like they were out for a stroll in the park and the Serbian defenders were just so many piles of dog poo to weave around.  The second goal was the end product of a 24-pass move, mostly triangles at the edge of the box--phenomenal!  I hope that they eventually meet up with Brazil (don't have the bracket in front of me at the moment) because that would be a footballing feast.  Ole! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:05 pm

puroresu wrote:England fans will watch that and idiots will still say "we have the best 2 midfield players in the world" and ring in talk sport and compare Rooney to Pele & Maradonna.  Messi was on for 13 mins and by all accounts from what we have seen already he looks like he will be a great.

Andy Gray before the World Cup said England have the best sqaud in the tournament.  What a joke!!  He obviously hasnt seen the Argentina bench.

Brasil and Argentina have better squads than England, and Spain probably do as well - they have incredible depth on the bench.

England's squad is definitely top quality, but it does lack a little depth outside the starting 11. Walcott, Bridge, Hargreaves and Jenas aren't good enough if England lose players in their respective positions. Lampard will go mising against good sides also, as he isn't quite up to the quality of the top midfielders in the competition. Also if Robinson gets injured, James and Carson aren't adequate back-up.Sven is not capable of getting a sytem which works either.

Although England's squad is right up there, they are very unlikely to go any further than the quarters.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Bad Bob wrote:That was an absolute master class in pass and move football.  The first two goals looked absolutely effortless....like they were out for a stroll in the park and the Serbian defenders were just so many piles of dog poo to weave around.  The second goal was the ned product of a 24-pass move, mostly triangles at the edge of the box--phenomenal!  I hope that they eventually meet up with Brazil (don't have the bracket in front of me at the moment) because that would be a footballing feast.  Ole! :D

if they both top their groups, then they can meet in the final.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:13 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:That was an absolute master class in pass and move football.  The first two goals looked absolutely effortless....like they were out for a stroll in the park and the Serbian defenders were just so many piles of dog poo to weave around.  The second goal was the ned product of a 24-pass move, mostly triangles at the edge of the box--phenomenal!  I hope that they eventually meet up with Brazil (don't have the bracket in front of me at the moment) because that would be a footballing feast.  Ole! :D

if they both top their groups, then they can meet in the final.

Cheers for the update, mate.  That would be a sight to see!

BTW, my condolensces to Laza who had S&M in his office pool, I think.  Sorry mate.  :(
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 pm

England are only one player short of being able to beat Argentina.

If only we could play 12 against them we might have a chance  :D
account deleted by request

Postby fivecups » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:29 pm

Genius. Brilliant.

It's why we love football - the beautiful game.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 pm

That is how football should be played....Thank You Argentina!!!!  I hope the rest of the world are watching!!!
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Argentina now theres a real team. I hope England watched and took notes on how to pass a ball and move it around the pitch properly.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:59 pm

I said to my mates today in the boozer when Tevez scored that we were looking at Argentina, the 2006 World Champions.

That's my official prediction on this forum on what I've seen so far.  Not too difficult a prediction really, and I'm usually no good at predicting, but they will take some beating.  Every slide rule pass they try, every through ball, every move they make, it appears to pay dividends.  They're just exceptional all over the park.  To think England beat them as well in the last six months!!!

Best side in the tournament for me, and it will take something special to beat them.  Riquelme must surely be recognised in next years FIFA awards if he continues in this form.

It's a damn shame that the last game of their group will be so meaningless in a sense against Holland, who are also looking at least quarter/semi final candidates.  Players will be rested so we might see a false postive.

But nobody will want to meet Argentina.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 am

To make 6 goals, finishing the goals inside the box, you need to do it by touching well the ball in the midfield. Argentina's game would be the video I'd show to the scepticals of touching the ball or lovers of direct football.

They have options in the bench too, they have depth in that bench, and that can make adapt the squad to different oppositions, which is important.

The game they have done has been better than the Spaniard one, against a harder oposition.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:33 am

Spain can't be discounted though Sabre.  I'd like them to go far to be honest as my 'second' team.  As well as Portugal also (where I'm going tomorrow for a fortnight!!! :buttrock )  Anyone in the Algarve who wants to meet up for a few drinks?

Argentina are my tournament favourites but Spain also have a lot of depth.  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did Spain play a 4-3-3 without Raul and Joaquin the other night for a start?  Okay it was only Ukraine but nobody is at the World Cup for nothing, surely? 

Spain always flatter to deceive, which is weird considering the players with pace, technique and talent the Primera Liga posseses, but they have to come good at some point.  They're just too talented to be under-achievers forever.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:45 am

As I've said many times, trying to explain how a team plays with 3 numbers is somewhat difficult, as there are many variants. Given the role of Luis Garcia and  Raul in the game, it would be more accurate to say that we played a 4-3-1-2, with LG or Raul always behind Villa and Torres, and seizing the gaps those two opened. Gerrard would enjoy the position LG is given for sure.

But again this is not about numbers, the way the left backs help in attack and the number of players that touched the ball before Cambiasso scored is not described in those numbers.

Spain might win, but then the chances to win are small. Serbia ended up the qualification on front of us, after all, and our bad day will come, and we might be sent home. The best Spain can do is to avoid euphoria and keep working. The thing Spain needs to learn is to win even when we play badly, the thing that Champions do.

For now, my favourites are Argentina, they have the skill, and they have the real belief of victory. Spain might perfectly end up the first round with 9 points, meet a France full of problems and second of his group, and lose because a Henry goal. That would be Spanish for you  :D . I'm pessimistic I know, but I've seen too many failures and blatant ref robberies (2 legal goals not conceded and everything) to be too optimistic .  :)
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:48 am

I don't blame you for 2002, you could have went further.  I agree Spain were robbed. 

Was it not my favourite Spanish player Joaquin who missed the decisive penalty as well in the shoot out?
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:50 am

Yes he was. *sigh*, he was also man of match.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion