Maradona gets argentina job - How long will this last.....

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Argentina legend Diego Maradona is set for a sensational return to football as the coach of his national side.

He will be appointed the new Argentina coach on Tuesday, according to Luis Segura, secretary of the Argentine FA.

The 1986 World Cup-winning skipper has had only two brief spells as a coach in Argentina, but is understood to be the leading candidate for the post.

The 47-year-old said: "The offer attracted me a lot. As soon as it is confirmed I will start working."

If Maradona does take over he will succeed Alfio Basile, who resigned earlier this month after a World Cup qualifying defeat to Chile.

"The idea is to start working immediately after the official announcement, with the players who are in Argentina," Maradona was quoted as saying. "And then take the first plane to talk to the ones in Europe."

Segura said: "The appointment will be official when the Argentine Football Association Committee approves it, and the next meeting is scheduled for next Tuesday.

"I believe there will not be any more meetings with the other candidates," he added.

Dear God I cant see this lasting long. He hasnt got a great record in management and to be fair he is a bit of a lunatic
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Dear God I cant see this lasting long

A bit of a Gazza scenario here?  Drunk on the sidelines? :p

The jocks will beat him, and he'll be gone!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 am

Maradona: "I laugh at those who say I don't have enough experience".

Well, Maradona seems confident  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:52 pm

Oi I wanted to start this thread :D

Bring it on Diego - this should be fun - imagine Argentina could become 'world beaters' or 'down and out' - whatever happens it'll be a an interesting chapter in the life of Diego and Argentina ..

:)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:45 am

I heard hes going to make Mascha captain of Argentina.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 pm

Bam wrote:I heard hes going to make Mascha captain of Argentina.

yup. he once said argentina is ''mash plus 10'' or something like that. i honestly think this appointment is gonna either blow up or rise up in some style.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:00 pm

Rafa Benitez has confirmed that new Argentina boss Diego Maradona will visit the club to meet with Javier Mascherano in November – and suggested he was eager to involve the all-time legend in a training session.

Maradona confirmed this week that he has been given the Argentina job and said he would begin by heading to England to watch Mascherano and Carlos Tevez in action.

But Benitez has now indicated that he intends to get Maradona involved in a training session, and suggested that the World Cup winner could also head to Anfield to watch the Champions League tie against Atletico Madrid.

He said: “I know when Javier was told about the appointment he was excited and very pleased.

“I do not know whether Maradona will be here for the Madrid game, but I suppose it is possible. There are several good Argentineans in their squad for him to see.

“I have been told by the Argentina federation that he will be in England between November 2 and 8. He also wants to see Carlos Tevez in Manchester.

“But Diego will be very welcome to come to our training ground next week and to see the match. Maybe I can persuade him to take a few free-kicks!

“I am not sure of his schedule, but clearly he will come here to talk with us and Javier. I am not sure which day.”

Benitez is confident Maradona will prove to be a success as Argentina coach, but feels he will need to draw on the experience of the likes of former Argentina boss Carlos Bilardo, who is part of the current set-up.

“Nobody can ever doubt the quality of Maradona as a player, but I think he will do well as a manager,” he said.

“He will find that it is difficult as a manager, but he has a technical director with plenty of experience and they are trying to bring in some ex-players who have experience as managers to help him.

“That sort of staff around him will make it easier. He will have plenty of help and it will be a very interesting situation.

“I think it is an exciting appointment. If he has the right people around him, it will be really good for Argentina.”
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Get in Rafa - wonder if he would have rotated Diego in his team :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:46 pm

When is his first game in charge?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:58 pm

Against Scotland in Hampden I think
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 pm

He isn't manager yet though is he?
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:23 am

Diego Maradona, unveiled as Argentina manager on Tuesday, has stated he wants Liverpool’s Javier Mascherano to lead the South American country.

Maradona has been handed the reins of Argentina after being installed as the shock replacement for former head coach Alfio Basile.

Now the 1986 World Cup winner’s first act as manager has been to sound out Mascherano about replacing Javier Zanetti as Argentina captain.

"I want Mascherano to be my captain because I believe he is the Argentinian player who is closest to the idea I have about the Argentinian shirt - sweat for it, sacrifice for it, being a professional, being close to the team-mate," he said.

"I will convince him. He will be my captain."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:09 am

Will be interesting to see how he fares. Somehow I can't see him succeeding, but on the other hand he's got a great set of players at his disposal, so maybe if he's able to motivate them the right way, they'll go on to achieve great things. As I said: should be interesting at the very least!
JamCar05

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 pm

think he will be more of a figure head with most of the tactics etc done by his staff
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:10 pm

Heard that Maradona is to become a 'Grandpa' - Sergio Aguero of Atletico Madrid and Argentina allegedly repsonisble :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion