Would you ever want to buy the league? - Ala chelsea?

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Would you ever want to buy the league? - Ala chelsea?

Glory at any price.
19%
Do it the hard way.
81%

Total votes : 36

Postby Red Red Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:57 am

Note, I've marked the end of the background gunk with a *** for anyone who doesn't want to read it all.

I used to hate Man United more than any other team.  When they won thier treble I was gutted.  Not only did they fluke thier way to the CL, with Munich hitting the post, bar, and utterly outclassing them - but they also beat us 2-1 with 2 stoppage time goals in the FA cup.  Bergkamp missed a f*cking penalty in the FA cup semi final that would have ended that run.

In the end, through fluke and often dirty underhand tactics they became the first English team to win the FA cup, League and European Cup in the same season.  Something LFC would have done if they hadn't :censored: us over again in the FA cup final.

But thier is a difference between group of arrogant :censored: A, and Arrogant :censored: B.  United are group A - and the spine of that team: Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles - all game through thier youth system.  You have to admit thats a lot of talent that they didn't just buy.  Obviously there were exceptions in that team, Stam, Schmeichal... but they weren't a plastic team.  Now they are - they have bought Shreik and his mate Donkey, some gimp on the wing (loved his tears after Greece 1-0 Portugal btw), and that :censored: from Leeds.  They have paid the penalty.  Soon to be bankrupt and nothing more than a memory - goodbye W*nkchester United.

Chelsea are different.  A team whose sucess is fueled by blood money from one of the most desolate countries in the world.  Since the collapse of the Berlin Wall Russia has been in ruins (this is not me saying I wish the wall had stayed up btw).  Most people living thier can't break bread.  Half the country is hooked on drugs, a trade run by the Mafia - and that is where the Chelsea silver is coming from.  Russian Mafia Blood money.

If the political implications weren't bad enough for a leftie like me - the way Chelsea have conducted themselves is a disgrace.  They must have witnessed how much hatred the attitude and arrogance of the United teams brought upon themselves - yet they seek to copy it, no, extend it.  In Mourinho they have the most repugnant human being I have ever had the displeasure to see on television.

Lets run through the Chelsea starting XI shall we?

Cech:  Good goalkeeper.  Would never have gone to Chelsea if ???thousand Russians hadn't died to pay his salary.
Carvalho:  Coached by Maureen at Porto.  Diving cheat.
Bridge:  Sold out his team to join the plastic club.
Terry:  Top bloke, top player - fights for the cause and would stay at Chelsea even if they plummeted to the second division.
Gallas:  F*cking mercenary.
Makalele:  Another man with no conscience.
Lampard:  ARS*HOLE.  Said to Stevie after the CC final 'See you next season.'  Moureen's tool within the England set up - tried to corrupt Stevie, managed it with SWP.  Souless pile of dog :censored:.  Kisses the badge wherever he is.  Utterly vile.
Robben:  Diver, big headed toss-wank.  Said 'I feel we deserved Gerrard because we are a big club.'  WHO THE :censored: ARE YOU?
Duff:  Dives.  :censored:.  Scum.
Gudsonsson:  Alonso, Semi 1st leg. Need I say more?
Crespo:  Foolishly joined the Chelsea coup, motivated by money then, but to his credit didn't want to come back.

Uttery :censored:.

I'm sure Chelsea fans feel differently, and I'm sure they don't feel that their team has done anything wrong.  I was in the pub tonight and I spoke to a mate who's a Chelsea fan.  The conversatoin went like this:

Me:  Don't you feel you haven't earnt it, you don't deserve it do you?
Him:  No, but I can't exactly stop supporting them, I'm a football fan, you know how it is.

Thats true.  For the Chelsea fan who was there before Abramovich and will be their after he is either assinated or sent back to Russia to be brought to justice there (I hope its the latter as I hear they have some very creative methods...) they couldn't help it that thier club is being destroyed by the Mafia, and they can't help but be pleased when Chelsea win the league.  You cannot stop supporting your team if you are a true fan.

So my question is; would you ever want to see Liverpool win the league like that?  Imagine things have got very bad, the year is 2020, we just finished 11th, Stevie has been sacked as manager after a 4-1 drubbing to Everton.  A multi-billionaire from China with a shady background buys the club.  2 years later a team similar to the Chelsea side above win title 19.  The next season they become the first club ever to do the quadrouple, and win the Community Sheild for good measure.

There are no scousers in this team.

Would you rather we continued as a mid-table side, or became the latest chequebook champions.  (I do not for one moment believe the situation described above will ever come into reality, its just not going to happen - Rafa is building an era to rival those of the past - just pretending).

Plastic Glory, or a team that wins the League Cup now and then with a Scouse spine, and plays with pride and integrity?

I think Liverpool are too good a club to ever become :censored: like Chelsea.  And I would rather see us plummit into the depths of the conference than become another conglomerate like Man United, or pay for our trophies with blood money.  I'm sorry if the language I've used might be offensive, but its something I feel very strongly about.  I'd like to know what the rest of you think.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:16 am

I think most members on here know my stance regarding Sh*tski (there's another clue!) and Man U( are sh*te)d. I would rather LFC disband than become entwined with dodgy tycoons. Abrahamo-b*tch is just a punk who cares about the people of Russia like I care about Saddam Hussein. The difference is, he extolls money from these poor surfs, thereby contributing to their poverty, and I don't. If ever there was a team that needed a good slap, its CFC. Not only are they owned by a git, managed by a pr*ck and run by an ex-scummer, they are also to blame for the hole in the O-zone layer. B*stards. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:17 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think most members on here know my stance regarding Sh*tski (there's another clue!) and Man U( are sh*te)d. I would rather LFC disband than become entwined with dodgy tycoons. Abrahamo-b*tch is just a punk who cares about the people of Russia like I care about Saddam Hussein. The difference is, he extolls money from these poor surfs, thereby contributing to their poverty, and I don't. If ever there was a team that needed a good slap, its CFC. Not only are they owned by a git, managed by a pr*ck and run by an ex-scummer, they are also to blame for the hole in the O-zone layer. B*stards. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

A truer word was never spoken about any side my friend.  Agree fully.
Red Red Tom

Postby Gaunt » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:45 am

Nah id prefer us to do it the hard way and earn what we get. Its the Liverpool way isnt it? Hard work and determination.
Gaunt

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:46 am

Football is about winning not about taking part. However all the chelsea squad do is take part in the sistematic demolision of the premiership as we know it.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rinoayuna » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:38 am

we would be idiots to do it the chel$ki way. i rather we be a mid-table club than someone who buys its way to the title and doesnt give a damn about loyalty. doing things the quick way may seem good now but chel$ki will and should stumble in time to come. let us wait patiently then for the day that chel$ki's money bag bursts and the player's egos clash with each others.
rinoayuna

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:51 am

again red red tom a great read! you could be the next paul tomkins!  :D

as to your point

my preferrance would be to EARN the right to the title..but then, with the gift of hindsight,(something that we ALL are champions of.).  would it really matter,that, in 10, 20 years time when our grandchildren ask about the all conquering ( ??? ) chelsea side of the noughties! (cra'p word!) and how many TROPHIES they won. that the fact they virtually BOUGHT it. have ANY relevance?

it is more of a thorn in the side of OUR generation, and therefore we are living through the prospect, now.

however unsavoury the procurement of the league title was, you cant deny, rather like a great chef that, the garnering of fine ingredients (albeit in copious amount) and the melding OF those parts to create a nutritious/palateable dish is primary to the expense of the whole, particularly when you find yourself dining at the top table. and in that respect jose mourinho can count himself numerous michelin stars.

the bloating and farting that goes on upstairs is the realm of the executives..and unfortunately in this day and age they too, need to be part of the media pie. with all the washing up done in full view also.
indeed we even get to see the shopping list. in certain cases even the secret midnight trip to tesco's doesnt escape the RAVENOUS masses.

none of this was seen in our halcion days.(of course it went on) and therefore seemed detached to us as fans. meaning it wasnt as important to the big picture LFC held to us...

it didnt seem to matter back then whether we went to the spar or marks and sparks butty counter for our ingredients.. the chefs then were that blood'y good!! and usually a great big tasty silver pot came out the oven. :)

true you can go to harrods or fortnam and masons for the VERY finest?
but its not the amount the groceries cost.

its the chef's skill in which the blade is wielded that preclude the piece de resistance.

let them all eat cake.

liverpool fc will always have the right work ethic, and the respect that gains is priceless.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby liverpoolrich » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:55 am

Earn it
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:27 pm

Dont gun me to hard for saying this but im sure its nice to know financially you can challange right up there. However as we have witnissed not only by us knocking them out in the semis last season, money cant buy you everything. Real Madrid have always had the money but what have they won in the last 2 years.? I admit it was a good feeling to know that my team were champions of europe again but even better knowing that we spent a fraction for what Chelsea spent. Chelsea are gonna have it hard this season beacasue everyone is out to beat them not just for their own clubs but for the good of English football.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Old Chinese Proverb:-

"Money, money money, it's so funny, in a rich man's world"

:D  Ok, so it may not be an old chinese proverb, but it is a phrase that offers more than a catchy tune and memory of when a good fashion sense  was more of a luxurious rarety than a necessity. There is something profound in this phrase. Primarily, it is telling us that this is indeed a "rich man's world". Today, in football, if you don't have a rich man with plenty of dosh to support you, you can't survive at the top of the league. Of course you need more than that, like top quality players, a good manager and a large international fanbase, not to mention a loyal and fanatical home following. But mon£y is the big "must have". Unless you are very lucky, it is impossible to obtain the creme de la creme of players without $$$ these days. Football has changed in the sense that you can no longer rely on your acadamies to produce 11 or more top quality PFA POTY winning players, when the clubs with the cash can just go and buy 11 World POTY winners and can scoure the globe and buy the best individuals from a host of acadamies. Of course you have to invest in tomorrow and it was not so long ago that I praised Rafa on this site for his commitment to the future by bringing in the likes of Carson, Hobbs, Barragan and so many more. I also believe that Benitez has the managerial ability to shop sensibley, an attribute that very few managers have (Wenger being the only other that I can think of, off the top of my head) which has seen the likes of Alonso, Reina, Sissoko and Zenden turn up for very little when weighed against departure income. So although it is best to bring as much young potential into the club, you cannot rely solely on those youngsters fulfilling their potential, look what happened to Le Tallec. It is in this instance where you NEED money. Free transfers and bargain basements are often risks and so many don't work out for various reasons.

We do seem to forget sometimes the amount of money we have spent at this club. Although Cisse was our top spending at £14m, we bought players like Diouf and Diao for a combined £15m, and already this year we have spent around £20m on Crouch, Reina and Sissoko alone. We are talking about splashing another £12m or so on Owen, and Rafa still wants a centre half and a right winger. Throw in Morientes and Carson as well as all the youngsters and this years spending could excede £50m give or take. But we do have one of the richest chairmen in the league with Mr Moores, his family being worth at least £1.2b which isn't chicken feed if you get my drift. Whether we like it or not, we are one of the richies and clubs like Bolton, Charlton, Middlesborough, Man City, Tottenham and even Everton are incredibly envious of our money because to them, we are big spenders who use our financial muscle to bully them out of deals and optain players that they cannot. Our reputation as one of the best (in my opinion, "THE" best) teams in the world helps but you can't go up to a Brazilian primadonna and say "how would you like to play for us, we can't pay you more than a few quid a week, but we've got all the history you could ever want!". That may be an exageration but in this game, money talks.

I'd prefer a footballing world where money wasn't an issue to anyone. Transfer caps or a drafting system where acadamies became independant, and players were traded instead of bought, much like the systems employed by the NFL and the NBA in the states. But while there is so much money to be made, this will never happen. And until it does, it will always be the case that more money = more medals, except in some rare cases. Which means that now, after Abramovich, it is no longer a case of "buying the league", but more a fact that to compete in said league, you need money. They don't come much better off than Roman or the troll that now owns Man Ure and eventually the Premiership will become a Billionaires playground where Arabian Sheiks, American Business Tycoons, South American Drug Lords and Japanesse Consortioms come to spend their ca$h and have fun. I'd hate to see Liverpool not be able to compete with all of these teams just because of our history, our morality and the fact that we like to be different. All of these things are good qualities, but if it cost this club its' chance of success, I'd drop them fast.

For now though, I don't think we have to worry. If Rafa can work a couple of miracles, we get the rub of the green, some good decisions and some favourable ties, we should do well and we will have closed the gap. But when a couple more of these billionaires turn up and make the task impossible, I don't want to be playing catch up. A good business sense is only worth having if the business is worth having too (in the Premiership at least).

As for Chel$ki, yes, they probably bought the league, but so what. If it makes them happy then bully for them. I'm far more concerned with Liverpool, rather than worrying about out opponents. If we've got cash, great, spend it wisely. If we don't, then get some fast, or it is bye bye title hopes.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:59 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Old Chinese Proverb:-

:D  Ok, so it may not be an old chinese proverb, but it is a phrase that offers more than a catchy tune and memory of when a good fashion sense  was more of a luxurious rarety than a necessity. There is something profound in this phrase. Primarily, it is telling us that this is indeed a "rich man's world". Today, in football, if you don't have a rich man with plenty of dosh to support you, you can't survive at the top of the league. Of course you need more than that, like top quality players, a good manager and a large international fanbase, not to mention a loyal and fanatical home following. But mon£y is the big "must have". Unless you are very lucky, it is impossible to obtain the creme de la creme of players without $$$ these days. Football has changed in the sense that you can no longer rely on your acadamies to produce 11 or more top quality PFA POTY winning players, when the clubs with the cash can just go and buy 11 World POTY winners and can scoure the globe and buy the best individuals from a host of acadamies. Of course you have to invest in tomorrow and it was not so long ago that I praised Rafa on this site for his commitment to the future by bringing in the likes of Carson, Hobbs, Barragan and so many more. I also believe that Benitez has the managerial ability to shop sensibley, an attribute that very few managers have (Wenger being the only other that I can think of, off the top of my head) which has seen the likes of Alonso, Reina, Sissoko and Zenden turn up for very little when weighed against departure income. So although it is best to bring as much young potential into the club, you cannot rely solely on those youngsters fulfilling their potential, look what happened to Le Tallec. It is in this instance where you NEED money. Free transfers and bargain basements are often risks and so many don't work out for various reasons.

We do seem to forget sometimes the amount of money we have spent at this club. Although Cisse was our top spending at £14m, we bought players like Diouf and Diao for a combined £15m, and already this year we have spent around £20m on Crouch, Reina and Sissoko alone. We are talking about splashing another £12m or so on Owen, and Rafa still wants a centre half and a right winger. Throw in Morientes and Carson as well as all the youngsters and this years spending could excede £50m give or take. But we do have one of the richest chairmen in the league with Mr Moores, his family being worth at least £1.2b which isn't chicken feed if you get my drift. Whether we like it or not, we are one of the richies and clubs like Bolton, Charlton, Middlesborough, Man City, Tottenham and even Everton are incredibly envious of our money because to them, we are big spenders who use our financial muscle to bully them out of deals and optain players that they cannot. Our reputation as one of the best (in my opinion, "THE" best) teams in the world helps but you can't go up to a Brazilian primadonna and say "how would you like to play for us, we can't pay you more than a few quid a week, but we've got all the history you could ever want!". That may be an exageration but in this game, money talks.

I'd prefer a footballing world where money wasn't an issue to anyone. Transfer caps or a drafting system where acadamies became independant, and players were traded instead of bought, much like the systems employed by the NFL and the NBA in the states. But while there is so much money to be made, this will never happen. And until it does, it will always be the case that more money = more medals, except in some rare cases. Which means that now, after Abramovich, it is no longer a case of "buying the league", but more a fact that to compete in said league, you need money. They don't come much better off than Roman or the troll that now owns Man Ure and eventually the Premiership will become a Billionaires playground where Arabian Sheiks, American Business Tycoons, South American Drug Lords and Japanesse Consortioms come to spend their ca$h and have fun. I'd hate to see Liverpool not be able to compete with all of these teams just because of our history, our morality and the fact that we like to be different. All of these things are good qualities, but if it cost this club its' chance of success, I'd drop them fast.

For now though, I don't think we have to worry. If Rafa can work a couple of miracles, we get the rub of the green, some good decisions and some favourable ties, we should do well and we will have closed the gap. But when a couple more of these billionaires turn up and make the task impossible, I don't want to be playing catch up. A good business sense is only worth having if the business is worth having too (in the Premiership at least).

As for Chel$ki, yes, they probably bought the league, but so what. If it makes them happy then bully for them. I'm far more concerned with Liverpool, rather than worrying about out opponents. If we've got cash, great, spend it wisely. If we don't, then get some fast, or it is bye bye title hopes.

Good post.  I do know that we spend a lot compared to most Premiership clubs, and yes it is an unfair advantage - however it isn't half as exagerated as Chelsea's.  Part of the issue with Chelsea is that it all happened so fast.  If Mourhinho had bought players over 4-5 years, then fine - he's built the side.  The good things for us about him building it so fast is that he's missed the foundations - and the Chelsea empire will come crashing down about Ambramovich's ears.

My other qualm with Chelsea is the source of the money.  I don't want to begin ranting again like I did last night, but I am a left-leaning guy (I suppose its kind of a pre-requisite to being 18 these days though), and I can't stand the fact that although everybody knows Abramovich's is just blood money - they gloss over it like it doesn't matter.  I'm sure it matters to the people who paid for it.

Rant over once again - Good post, good points, good debate.
Red Red Tom

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:21 pm

hes only at chelsea to get his money out of russia, so if they ever try to arrest/extrodite him it will be very hard to do so cos of his links. like a weed growing through terrain.....
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Red Red Tom wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:Old Chinese Proverb:-

Good post.  I do know that we spend a lot compared to most Premiership clubs, and yes it is an unfair advantage - however it isn't half as exagerated as Chelsea's.  Part of the issue with Chelsea is that it all happened so fast.  If Mourhinho had bought players over 4-5 years, then fine - he's built the side.  The good things for us about him building it so fast is that he's missed the foundations - and the Chelsea empire will come crashing down about Ambramovich's ears.

My other qualm with Chelsea is the source of the money.  I don't want to begin ranting again like I did last night, but I am a left-leaning guy (I suppose its kind of a pre-requisite to being 18 these days though), and I can't stand the fact that although everybody knows Abramovich's is just blood money - they gloss over it like it doesn't matter.  I'm sure it matters to the people who paid for it.

Rant over once again - Good post, good points, good debate.

I know what you are saying as well, and although I think Roman "If that is your real name" Abramovich is as dodgy as £20 Farrari, there is no real evidence connecting him with his supposed crimes in Russia. And with the KGB (that officially doesn't exist anymore, in the same way that Trees and plants don't "officially exist") opperating in a country that is hardly stable, who knows what is really going on.

But in the same way, you can argue about all the chairmen and sponsors ruining lives, including our own. I dare say that the Pools got a few people addicted to gambling and maybe seeing Carlsberg on the kit evrey week makes us drink more which is of course killing us. David Dean is on the FA board, does this make the FA crooked towards Arsenal? Does promoting mobile phones and service providers like Real, Man Ure and Chelsea do increase the risk of people developing brain tumers from radiation coming from their handset? Does Glazer's borrowing of funds to buy Man Ure hurt the interest rates of this country? I know that none of these examples are directly aimed at hurting people, but what I am saying is that if you really delve into peoples lives and businesses, you will find many instances where people have been hurt both intentionally and unintentionally. Alan Sugar made a business out of crushing dreams and destroying competition and he used to run Spurs, Ken Bates was Hooligan, Sam Hamman is a racist, crooked businessman, as is Fayed at Fulham. No one is ever guiltless or blameless and when you start drawing lines in the sand, it is only a matter of time before you yourself cross them.

Ok, so Abramovich's finances aren't all above board and Bristol fashion, but through chains of events, no-one's are. I know that it's a hard pill to swallow, and needless to say I don't like the medicene, but his taxes will keep him here for as long as he has money, so there is no point in worrying about it. And like you say, when he gets board (or dies or leaves or gets caught) Chelsea will crumble and fall and if you are that way inclined (or an Arsenal, Tottenham or West Ham) you can have a good old laugh about it then. Just have some patience, and all things must come to pass.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:24 pm

I don't know how Chelski fans can hold their heads up high after winning the league in those circumstances. They have clearly cornered the market as far as world stars are concerned. They have the cash to buy whoever they want and are buying the in-form players.
I know Roman has more money than he knows what to do with it, but by the time Chelsea have won 18 league titles; 5 European Cups; 3 UEFA cups; 6 FA cups; 7 League cups; 2 Super cups, he will be skint.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:57 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:I don't know how Chelski fans can hold their heads up high after winning the league in those circumstances. They have clearly cornered the market as far as world stars are concerned. They have the cash to buy whoever they want and are buying the in-form players.
I know Roman has more money than he knows what to do with it, but by the time Chelsea have won 18 league titles; 5 European Cups; 3 UEFA cups; 6 FA cups; 7 League cups; 2 Super cups, he will be skint.

Unfortunatley this will not be the case. The rumours about the size of Roman's wallet size range from £2b to £10b. If we take it that he has something more like £6b or £7b and take into account that it would be kept probably in a Swiss holding account with, let's say, 4.5% interest rates we can deduce that he makes around £315,000,000 a year from interest alone. Add this to the revenue that the club makes from season tickets, shirts, merchandise, CFC TV and various other sources... actually don't bother. Because Chel$ki is so rich, he makes money from it, and seeing as he only spends (actually, let's make that "spent" seeing as his transfer fees have only run up to around £260,000,000 over the last 3 years, so he still has roughly around £655,000,000 which he hasn't spent yet) about 2/3rds of the money he's making just for having money, he basically aquired and is now running Chel$ki at no cost to himself what so ever. Doubtless he has many stocks and shares as well. Even after taxes, he is still making money every year just from being rich. Which is pretty sickening. If you weren't a leftie before reading this, you probably are now.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls