Would you ever want to buy the league? - Ala chelsea?

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Would you ever want to buy the league? - Ala chelsea?

Glory at any price.
19%
Do it the hard way.
81%

Total votes : 36

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:20 pm

Chelsea are basically Abramovich's personal hobby.

They are not run as a business but rather as an ego trip.

Richard Branson likes to fly balloons, Abramovich has Chelsea.

Would Manhattan like Liverpool to have as much money as he does?

Yes.

Would Manhattan like Liverpool to be someone's pet project?

No.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Watched the game on the SKY, and the commentator said that the signing of Essien means that since Abrhamovic has arrived, they have AVERAGED 10 million pounds per month in transfer spending. Jeez imagine that.
I keep saying it. They will win the Premiership for the next four or five years running and then the governing bodies are going to have to look at some sort of financial capping system based on the American model. It's inevitable in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Financial capping has to come eventually, and transfer fees will have to come down too.This one price for Chelsea,another price for everyone else is laughable at the moment prime examples being Wright Phillips and Essien.But for the game i love in this country to remain competitive and fair needs to be looked at from grass roots up.I find it appalling that whilst Chelski flash their money around that many other clubs outside the premiership,  examples being Wrexham and  port vale hang on by their fingernails.If Chelski want to change peoples views of them maybe the tv money they get and CL Money they get they could give to lower league sides,,because its obvious they dont need it.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:24 pm

Cech:  Good goalkeeper.  Would never have gone to Chelsea if ???thousand Russians hadn't died to pay his salary.
Carvalho:  Coached by Maureen at Porto.  Diving cheat.
Bridge:  Sold out his team to join the plastic club.
Terry:  Top bloke, top player - fights for the cause and would stay at Chelsea even if they plummeted to the second division.
Gallas:  F*cking mercenary.
Makalele:  Another man with no conscience.
Lampard:  ARS*HOLE.  Said to Stevie after the CC final 'See you next season.'  Moureen's tool within the England set up - tried to corrupt Stevie, managed it with SWP.  Souless pile of dog .  Kisses the badge wherever he is.  Utterly vile.
Robben:  Diver, big headed toss-wank.  Said 'I feel we deserved Gerrard because we are a big club.'  WHO THE  ARE YOU?
Duff:  Dives.  .  Scum.
Gudsonsson:  Alonso, Semi 1st leg. Need I say more?
Crespo:  Foolishly joined the Chelsea coup, motivated by money then, but to his credit didn't want to come back.

Uttery .

A bit over the top no? It seems as though your just trying to justify your cause by making up rubbish about certain players.
RedRoots

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:32 pm

BBC Sport.

Sunday August 21st 2005

Chelsea announced their new signing today at a press conference at Stamford Bridge. Chief Executive Peter Kenyon and manager Jose Mourinho took questions from the waiting press to confirm that "The Manhattan Project" has signed a deal with the London club to join their official message boards.

The deal, thought to be in the region of £32 million pounds will take the talented member from one of Liverpool's fan sites, to the Chelsea website, was finalised after personal terms were finally agreed after weeks of secret negotiations.

"I have heard about the interest and I am honoured that the Premiership champions want to sign me" Manhattan told The Independent newspaper.

"Once my agent told me about Chelsea's message boards, I realised it was a tremendous opportunity to grow as a poster and a person. I am contracted at Chelsea until 2008. My aim is to secure a regular place on the Chelsea General Discussion forums".

The 25-year-old member joined the Liverpool site in January 2004 and made nearly 500 appearances on the message board of the Anfield giants, but admitted that the time had come to move on to fulfill his ambitions of gloating about winning trophies.

:D  :laugh:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:59 pm

bigmick wrote:Watched the game on the SKY, and the commentator said that the signing of Essien means that since Abrhamovic has arrived, they have AVERAGED 10 million pounds per month in transfer spending. Jeez imagine that.
I keep saying it. They will win the Premiership for the next four or five years running and then the governing bodies are going to have to look at some sort of financial capping system based on the American model. It's inevitable in my view.

yeah and they also had more £ worth of players coming off the bench than we do in our whole team, when you consider Gerrard and Carra don't count as we paid nothing for them.
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 pm

We can slag them off all we want but theres a lot of sour grapes coming out in this thread! If a billionaire walked into Anfield tomorrow and made a bottomless pit of cash available no-one on here would give a flyin f-ck where the money came from!Get over it people,Chelsea are loaded,so what!They're only human,our job is to beat them on the pitch!
66-1120597113

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:06 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:We can slag them off all we want but theres a lot of sour grapes coming out in this thread! If a billionaire walked into Anfield tomorrow and made a bottomless pit of cash available no-one on here would give a flyin f-ck where the money came from!Get over it people,Chelsea are loaded,so what!They're only human,our job is to beat them on the pitch!

Gotta say Barry I think you're spot on with the sour grapes thing. If some bloke came in and made Ronaldhino his first signing, followed by various other superstars not many would complain.
My point about the salary/transfer capping is one of my soap box issues. Believe it or not I've been saying it for years. Is it enough for, say that Sunderland fan who came on yeterday to have an ambition which amounts to avoiding relegation? Year in, year out they can't win anything? I think the playing field excavation and relaying is long overdue.
My favoured method is an overall salary cap. Each team is allowed to pay a maximum of 20 million a year in salaries. Pay Gerrard 5 mill a year if you want, but that only leaves 15 mill for the rest of the squad. Simple and effective.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:06 pm

There is no honest way to buy the league.  It has to be earned by winning games.  ManUre have been the richest club in England for decades but they only became dominant for a few of those years.  Even in Liverpool's glory years, ManUre were richer.  It's a little unfair to say Chelski bought the league.

However, I don't think we're on a level playing field, which worries me more.

:(
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby drummerphil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:15 pm

WELL FUNNY

We could always use these
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:18 pm

drummerphil wrote:WELL FUNNY

We could always use these

Lol  !  Yeah Rafa could apply to ocean finance for a loan for Ronaldinho   Thats  a laugh Phil :nod
66-1120597113

Postby drummerphil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:22 pm

lol  barry.....did you listen to it........its a spoof
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:36 pm

RedRoots wrote:
Cech:  Good goalkeeper.  Would never have gone to Chelsea if ???thousand Russians hadn't died to pay his salary.
Carvalho:  Coached by Maureen at Porto.  Diving cheat.
Bridge:  Sold out his team to join the plastic club.
Terry:  Top bloke, top player - fights for the cause and would stay at Chelsea even if they plummeted to the second division.
Gallas:  F*cking mercenary.
Makalele:  Another man with no conscience.
Lampard:  ARS*HOLE.  Said to Stevie after the CC final 'See you next season.'  Moureen's tool within the England set up - tried to corrupt Stevie, managed it with SWP.  Souless pile of dog .  Kisses the badge wherever he is.  Utterly vile.
Robben:  Diver, big headed toss-wank.  Said 'I feel we deserved Gerrard because we are a big club.'  WHO THE  ARE YOU?
Duff:  Dives.  .  Scum.
Gudsonsson:  Alonso, Semi 1st leg. Need I say more?
Crespo:  Foolishly joined the Chelsea coup, motivated by money then, but to his credit didn't want to come back.

Uttery .

A bit over the top no? It seems as though your just trying to justify your cause by making up rubbish about certain players.

Such as?
Red Red Tom

Postby Luis Garcia » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 am

Red Red Tom, This was just a topic started by a bitter Jealous RED!

Jealous because chelsea have won the league. ok they have spent 150 million or so, but remember Houllier had about 100m, or the players LFC have bought over the past  years have cost that much, it's just we bought a lot of the WRONG ones.

Like Heskey 13m or so. Biscan 6m. etc

We could have bought Damien Duff,but bottled out. we could have bought Robben. no interest shown by LFC. Maybe even lampard when he left west ham.

We could have bought Crespo. and we should have bought Davids when he left Juventus.

If you pull Stevie and Alonso out of the team, e still fall wya short, however huge our success last year. if we win 2 champions league back to back, ill lick Rafas shoes clean, but that is a HUGE task.

The question is, how long before we can knock on the door of winning the league? how many years time? remember, Rafa normally can only buy  players from spanish clubs.

Buying peter crouch is very risky, and Cisse look like another heskey to me.
Luis Garcia

Postby KeepTheFaith » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:18 am

(If allowed, here's my two-pence worth)

Yes, the Chelsea revolution is slowly grinding the EPL to its knee's with high wages and silly transfer fee's BUT amongst the cash in the top flight there are a few teams and stories that show a different side.

Take Bolton, often labelled as a small club, and one that is in the middle of a huge-catchement area in the NorthWest. Not really reknowned for its big fee's in transfers, yet manages to attract top names like Jay-Jay Ockocha, Stelios Gainankopolous, Ivan Campo and Hidetoshi Nakata to name but 4. The point of Bolton? To make up the numbers some might say, yet league finishes show a different side. Since being promoted they have; narrowly avoided relegation to finishing 6th and qualifying for the UEFA Cup for the first time in it's history. Shrewd buy's not big money fee's are the reasoning for that. Added to a good work ethic, belief and Big Sam, and you have all the ingredients to show that the big money bubble could well and truely burst any time soon.

Go two places higher in the table and you see a similar story. David Moyes took his Everton side from 17th to 4th in the space of one season. Beating arch-rivals Liverpool to the final Champions League place - we all know you got there eventually before anyone gets pedantic. There was no big fee's spent that summer, but two of the most under-rated signings in Premiership history (IMO) in Timmy Cahill and James Beattie. Will the Everton bubble burst this season? Perhaps, they go into Wednesday's Champions League Qualifier trailing 2 (or 3) goals to 1 against some Spanish team's name who I can't spell. Even if the bubble does burst they are proof, along with Bolton, that maybe, just maybe, you don't need to spend 100,000,000 quid in order to compete.

It is hard to look beyond Chelsea winning the league, but with the two aforementioned clubs, I see no reason as to why shrewd buys, a good team spirit and players that play for the badge on the front and not the name on the back cannot result in a higher than anticiapted finish.

The Premier League is, in effect, 3 or 4 sub-divisions. The aim is to win yours and to compete in the one above. Everton and Bolton have proved it's possible. So why can't anyone else.

Or to answer the question - I'd just like to see Sunderland buy somebody!!!
KeepTheFaith

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls