Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Michael owen - Surely...

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes : 119

Postby Octsky » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:31 am

for less than 3 mil i will say yes to owen.
coz the stakes will be low...looking at it, gerrard and carra will be happy their buddy is back,
we can sell more shirts..owen can nick in a few goals in those tight packed home games,
so why not?
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Alex G. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:36 am

maguskwt wrote:
Alex G. wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I don't think we play the english game anymore...

We don´t play long balls?? Behave mate :D

nope I don't think we do... not in the sense of the english game get to the target man anyway... we play long passes to spread the ball...

All right, let´s call it "direct game". Anyway, a tall man up front please.
Last edited by Alex G. on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 am

Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:
Number 9 wrote:At the start of the season its a deffo no for me!
But given Keanes failure to become a shadow of what he has been at Spurs and the worrying re occuring injury to Torres Id take him in an instant..IF HE COULD PLAY THIS SEASON!

His goal ratio at Newcastle is slightly better than 1 in every 2 starts!
Taking into account the many games he has played while no where near full fitness?....well it pretty much speaks for itself,that cannot be denied!
As for him leaving for Madrid and going to Newcastle over us,well I can understand sour grapes from people.But sometimes you have to swallow your pride.

Will it happen?
I doubt it...he can sign for us in January but cant play until next season,thats no good to us.We need someone in January unless Keane gets his act together.Nando's injury is a major major worry.If we have any chance of being up there at the end we need him fit.
Basically Owen would be good NOW but he cant play until next year and to be honest I doubt Rafa is looking that far ahead at present.

Why can he not play for us till next season ? If we pay a small fee we can have him in January. Newcastle arn't going to let him run his contract down and get NOTHING back.

I just dont think they'll let him go!
Club captain..most important player.They take £3m of us and be a shitty team again! :D

Or keep him and challenge in the second half of the season for a UEFA cup spot?More ££ for them in that!
Plus theres money for finishing higher up the league...Its not worth their while to flog him cheap..he's really the only goal scorer they can rely on.
Unless they have money put up to replace him..which I doubt,It would probably cost them to sell him cheap in Jan come season end!

Owen does not want to sign an extension , if newcastle offer him something like 150k per week he might but other than that he'd take a pay cut to come back to liverpool i'm pretty sure of that
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 am

As much as I think he is a natural goalscorer & who has a few years left in him (avoiding injuries), I voted no.
He has gone on his merry way to Madrid & Newcastle chasing the glory, when if not for a greedy streak he possibly had it at Anfield had he stayed initially. And I don't think Lpool should bail him out of his now nightmare career at Newcastle. I think that risk should be left to some other manager.

I predict he will go to the bitters, Everton and do well there.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am

Fo Dne wrote:Surely its time.

The fact is the price will be right, he scores goals and he's still a bloody good player who is better than Keane and Kuyt. He's also done it before and knows what this clubs about.

For me, Benitez should pull out all the stops and just get the lad signed up in Janurary, even if its on a pre-contract for the start of next season. Its not an oppurtunity we can afford to miss.

I know that Benitez will probably end up signing :censored: Heskey instead because Heskey's well better than Owen and always has been, but what would you do and why?

PS: If you're going to be a complete :censored:wit and vote no, explain why you don't think the manager should make this affordable improvement to the squad and team by signing a top class professional. :D

Can't disagree, it would be stupid for Rafa not to even consider buying Owen in January. Knocked down fee for a striker who has scored eight goals in 14 appearances this season, probably at a fee of around what "Egg Nog" cost, but returning a lot more goals.

Seriously have to question Rafa's thinking if he is happy to pay £1.5m for a nothing striker, but won't pay maybe £2m-£3m for a born goalscorer who has a few years in him and could make the difference between 1st and 4th.

Owen 14/12/79 : 8 goals in 14 appearances
Keane 08/07/80 : 4 goals in 22 appearancs
N'Gog 01/04/89 : 0 goals in 5 appearances

Age is about all N'Gog has on his side, Keane barely even has that. The single advantage Keane has is he isn't *touch wood* as injury prone as Owen. But doesn't matter how often someone is injured if they score goals, to be injured and STILL score more goals than other strikers just proves his class

And the bottom line is, regardless how Rafa or anyone else feels about Owen personally or from an injury perspective - who else are you going to get of that quality for less than £15m+ ?!?!?!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 am

Alex G. wrote:If we sign another striker (needless cause we have already four or five) he should be Santa Cruz or someone very tall who can play comfortably with long balls. We are missing it especially at Anfield. So I vote NO to resign owen.

Yes i Would go along with A move for Santa Cruz but don't think we could afford him,What if we tried to swap him for Keane or Benayoun and Lucas in the same Transfer?

With Owen i would say no he is too injury prone
roberto green

Postby DanAn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:02 pm

I just want a good striker that bangs them in. Owen is going cheap and we know he is quality but there are plenty of others I'd be happy with. He's cheap and would improve the side for this year an next, if we've got no money to spend then he's the man. However, ideally I prefer not to have his bloated salary on the books in 2011 when his body finally packs up. So for me it is a question of our financial position. If we've only got 6-8m to spend, I'm Owen all the way. If we can scrounge up a bit more doe and can afford Santa Cruiz, Zaki or Benzema (I can dream). Then Owen can get :censored:
DanAn

Postby Effes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I think this is all personal from Rafa
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:26 pm

bavlondon wrote:All things point to yes except for the fact that I dont think Rafa personally even wants him given how he walked out on us. And didnt Rafa only say just last week we wont be making any bids for Owen?

spot on. Rafa gave Owen the chance to come back and he opted for Newcastle.  Ok, we weren't prepared to pay 17 million, but If Michael had turned down the Newcastle offer Real would have been forced to accept our 10 million bid.

f**k him, because he f**ked us in his transfer to Real.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:45 pm

[quote] Fo DnePS: If you're going to be a complete wit and vote no, explain why you don't think the manager should make this affordable improvement to the squad and team by signing a top class professional. :D[quote]

Who creates a poll by insulting anyone who doesnt share their opinion before they have even voted? Do you speak to real people the way you do on here? If so im sure you get smacked around alot.

Bringing back Owen is not black and white, its not just about how he left or the goals he once scored. He is very injury prone and do you want to bring in another striker just to have him lie next to Torres in the treatment room? If he comes in and stays fit, what formation do you play? has Owen not always played at his best with a target man up front beside him?  Should Torres sacrifice his goal threat to accommodate him? Could he play with Keane? Could he play with Ngog? What would you think if you were Nemeth or one of the other promising young strikers if we brought in a striker who best days are behind him (sorry, but they are)?

For me, the problem lately hasnt been the finishing, its been the lack of clear cut chances we've been creating. I watched Utd play Sunderland last night and get very fortunate with an injury time goal that deflected onto a post and straight to Vidic for a tap in. If you read that this morning you would think "lucky b@stards" and assume that where the Mancs got lucky Liverpool didnt get the rub of the green against Fulham or West Ham, but there was a huge difference. It just seemed impossible that Utd hadnt scored as they created chance after chance and were denied by great tackling, great goalkeeping and sometimes blind luck. Watching the last two LFC home games i just couldnt see Liverpool scoring when they were relagated to long range shooting and hopeful set pieces. When the team is playing like that it you could have Torres, Owen and Fowler on the pitch on top form and it isnt gonna change the overall complexion of the game. Gerrard has not looked 100% since being injured, Riera hasnt pushed on after a promising start and some of the others are definitely playing within themselves at the moment.

In fairness though id rather have him back they flippin Bruno!
burjennio

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:23 pm

if he's available for cheap then why not, scores goals, available for europe, cheap he know's the club and some players.

on a side note though, its all good buying new strikers, but we still have huge problems suplying them with service, priority for me is still at right back and right midfield.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:26 pm

I think yes, what about you?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:30 pm

Do u think carra is on at rafa all the time about him cummin bak ..

it will baffle me if he dont make a move for him,

but i really do think rafa wont have him back .

Took his goals well yeterday
kopite_1232002

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Probably and Stevie too. Im sure they have said in the past to get him and Rafa did try before he went to Newcastle but we needed Owen to do his bit and he just pussie.d out.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I just had a thought. Maybe what Rafa wants is to see some commitment from Owen first before he begins to make a move so he knows he isnt wasting his time this time. If Owen were to come out and say he wants to come back to us then that could change things. Of course Rafa is going to deny it based on pure paper talk but if the lad came out and said he wanted back to us then fair enough. He has played out his contract at Newcastle so they cant moan tbh.

Come back lad!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls