Michael owen - How does he stand up in the premiership?

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Michael owen - How does he stand up in the premiership?

Simply the best
14%
As good as Henry and Van Nistelrooy
9%
As good as Henry and Van Nistelrooy on his day
30%
Third best behind Henry and Van Nistelrooy
16%
On a par with Shearer and Anelka
16%
Other (Please specify)
16%

Total votes : 44

Postby HOMELEIGHKOP » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:11 pm

owen is good world class but he is the only class player we have only cos of his goal scoring record we need more that can score just as many goals a season or at least help lets buy big this summer and get rid of the cr#p i dont want a squad full of rubbish i would like just to have 11 class players
"RED IS THE COLOUR"
HOMELEIGHKOP

Postby kopper » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:12 pm

Henry is simply in a class of his own in the league. Owen matches Henrys lethalness in front of goal(when he's not injured or just coming back from one) but Henry has bags more of Flair. Henry not only scores goals, he also creates. Say what you want about the French......they have flair!!!!
France
Henry, Pires, Zidane.....................flair
England
Owen, Scholes, Gerrard................English determination :angry:
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Dom1 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:19 pm

DEFINENTLY AS GOOD AS ANY1 ON HIS DAY.............WHEN HE DECIDES TO HAVE THAT DAY,COS IT DOESNT COME TO OFTEN!!

HE WILL BE A WORLD CLASS REAL MADRID PLAYER NEXT SEASON?? :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:16 pm

Big Ben wrote:First of all, I don't like the way those poll questions were being asked. You should have asked about Owen' s ranking amongst the best strikers in the league or his ranking amongst all the players that Liverpool ever had at his position. The only thing with him is that he knows where to position himself on the pitch and knows how to materialize plays to goals.
A lot of his goals come from free kicks. Even some of them were missed a the first strike but referees gave him second chances. His is an intelligent player but I wouldn't rank him in the same category with the likes of Ian Rush, Keegan and all the good ones that Liverpool have had. Technically, he is below average.

I mean, what can you say to that Owzat?

:p

Owen scoring from free kicks?

We are talking about the same player here?

I hate to say it but I rate Henry and RVN higher than Owen.

Owen, on his day, is excellent, but those two are still better.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:32 pm

cant agree jbg,van nistelrooy scores a hatfull of goals playing for a world class team,even andy cole scored plenty for them.I hate to say it but put owen in a manure shirt and he would score a similar amount to horseface.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:24 pm

azriahmad wrote:the simple yardstick to compare strikers or attackers is by the number of goals they score and their consistency over several seasons.

You also need to consider the quality of players around the striker, strikers need service and playing for a team with the likes of Scholes and Giggs, Ljungberg and Pires is a lot easier than playing for a team without such quality. Owen has scored consistently for Liverpool and England, put in the manu side he would probably match rvn's record. Notice how rvn doesn't carry it into the dutch side

Michael Owen

England - 24 goals in 53 appearances (0.45 goals/apps)
Premiership - 110 goals in 201 appearances (0.55 goals/apps)

Thierry Henry

France - 25 goals in 54 appearances (0.46 goals/apps)
Premiership - 97 goals in 157 appearances (0.62 goals/apps)
Other Clubs - 23 goals in 126 appearances (0.18 goals/apps)

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Holland - 14 goals in 27 appearances (0.52 goals/apps)
Premiership - 62 goals in 87 appearances (0.71 goals/apps)
PSV Eindhoven - 65 goals in 67 appearances (0.97 goals/apps)
Other Clubs - 30 goals in 100 appearances (0.30 goals/apps)

Considering rvn has played for Holland, manu and PSV, his record is not that special. Look at his record at less high profile Dutch clubs and his record is more like Heskey's! Henry's record is slightly disappointing but he was used as a winger and has not always up front. Henry is as much a creator as goalscorer, easily the best all round player in the World at the moment IMO
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:59 am

WHO NEEDS OPTA WHEN WE HAVE GOT OWZAT!! :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby kopper » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:49 pm

Very interesting Owzat!!!
BTW do you perhaps know the assists stats, It is of course just a bonus to have a striker that can assist but it would be an interesting comparrison.  :cool:
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:51 am

You could try www.4thegame.com but I wouldn't know where to look for career assist figures (if they exist).

I will be the first to admit that stats alone can mean nothing. rvn has the better stats but has a lot more creativity than Owen and creates less than Henry. Their styles of play are very different too, Henry will drift wide to run with the ball and create whereas rvn will usually just look to get into goal scoring positions. Perhaps that is why Arsenal have not broken clear of manu, because they lack a selfish box striker who is just looking to net 25+ goals a season. We should improve now we've got Kewell but I still think we lack a little in every department
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopper » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:59 am

Thanks for the link Owzat. I found the assists for this season only which obviously won't feature much of Owen cos he's been injured....but check at Henrys figure.

Assists
Muzzy Izzet (Leicester) 12
Brett Emerton (Blackburn) 9
Ryan Giggs (Man United) 7
Thierry Henry (Arsenal) 6
Paolo di Canio (Charlton) 6
Damien Duff (Chelsea 6
Patrik Berger (Portsmouth) 6
Robert Pires (Arsena)l 5
Fredrik Ljungberg (Arsenal) 5
Steed Malbranque (Fulham) 5
Lee Hendrie (A Villa) 4
Andrew Cole (Blackburn) 4
Youri Djorkaeff (Bolton) 4
Kevin Davies (Bolton) 4
Frank Lampard (Chelsea) 4
Jermaine Pennant (Leeds) 4
John Arne Riise (Liverpool) 4
Diego Forlan (Man United) 4
Laurent Robert (Newcastle) 4
Teddy Sheringham (Portsmouth) 4
Robbie Keane (Tottenham) 4
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:42 pm

Owen hasn't got much of a look in this season because of injury trouble but I would say he is up there with the best in the Premiere League, I think he is a superior player to  Van Nistelrooy but has been suffocated by Houlier.  I don't think he is as good as Henry, who is probably the best striker in the world right now.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby king mickey » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:36 pm

I dont think you can compare owen with Henry and monkey boy Nistlerooy
Henry is the best in the world without him Arsenal are nothing,monkey boy probably converts a third of the chances he gets and the way GH plays Owen more often than not he has to make his own chances which he usually scores,and remember who had heard of Henry and Nistlerooy when they were Michaels age??? the best is yet to come from that young man
king mickey

Postby kopper » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:49 pm

monkey boy

## ##, where did u pick up that one from! 
monkey boy :D  Luv it
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:27 pm

???
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:46 am

haha thats a classic!
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls