Michael owen - How does he stand up in the premiership?

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Michael owen - How does he stand up in the premiership?

Simply the best
14%
As good as Henry and Van Nistelrooy
9%
As good as Henry and Van Nistelrooy on his day
30%
Third best behind Henry and Van Nistelrooy
16%
On a par with Shearer and Anelka
16%
Other (Please specify)
16%

Total votes : 44

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:08 pm

I've seen a few polls on best striker in the Premiership and it is usually a straight fight between Henry, but how do you see Owen in this equation? His International scoring record is no worse than those of Henry and Van Nistelrooy yet they play for arguably more creative sides. Has he been held back by the style of Houllier in the last few years or has he not yet reached his peek? Do you think he is going to improve? Do you think it is right that people only talk of Henry and Van Nistelrooy?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:18 am

nobody cares
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:45 pm

I don't think he is as good as Henry, Henry has stepped it up a few levels in the last couple of years and is the best striker in the premership.

Owen is very good at what he does, he dosen't have exceptional technical ability or deadly finishing, but he is very clever, he knows his strengths and weaknesses, he one of the best at playing on the shoulder of the last defender, he is very similar to Inzaghi.

Owen is the type of person who can aply himself to anything, he was a youth championship boxer, is very good at golf and snooker, he's one of those ba#ta#ds you always resent in Secondary School who is in every sports team.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:57 pm

I wouldnt rate henry and rvn at the same level.henry first,owen second and rvn third.These things change by the month though so I may have a different opinion at the end of the season.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:34 am

manu fans rave about the quality of rvn but 1/3 of his goals last season were penalties in the Premiership. Take away the tap-ins he gets and you're talking maybe 5 decent goals a season. Henry is head and shoulders above the rest and possibly the best player in the world
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:40 pm

RVN is good, don't take that away from him, but not as good as Henry.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:33 pm

rvn is good at what he does - scores from close range, dives and puts away penalties. I think his current record against Liverpool, Arsenal and Cheslki combined stands at 5 goals in 20 games, 2 of those penalties (against us). I'm not sure what his overall league record is but if you consider he scored 25 in 38 games last season then is a pretty average record against the best defences.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:44 pm

You can't knock his Champions League record.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:25 am

He stays on the full 90 minutes and bags a fair few goals against modest opposition. Whatever you say, 2 goals against Rangers and a penalty vs Stuttgart aren't that impressive and that's just this season. He netted 2 against Basle and 2 against an unimpressive Deportivo side last season. He even stayed on the full 90 vs Panathanaikos because he hadn't scored. Last time I checked he hadn't been substituted once in the league this season, no wonder he scores so many he stays on longer than most even when his side are 5-0 up!

Bottom line is there are way too many average teams in the Champions League and far too many average defences
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chinesegirl » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:31 pm

He's the best in my eyes!
Van Nistelrooy is also well.
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby 66-1070900655 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:47 pm

First of all, I don't like the way those poll questions were being asked. You should have asked about Owen' s ranking amongst the best strikers in the league or his ranking amongst all the players that Liverpool ever had at his position. The only thing with him is that he knows where to position himself on the pitch and knows how to materialize plays to goals.
A lot of his goals come from free kicks. Even some of them were missed a the first strike but referees gave him second chances. His is an intelligent player but I wouldn't rank him in the same category with the likes of Ian Rush, Keegan and all the good ones that Liverpool have had. Technically, he is below average.
66-1070900655

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:38 pm

Big Ben wrote:First of all, I don't like the way those poll questions were being asked. You should have asked about Owen' s ranking amongst the best strikers in the league or his ranking amongst all the players that Liverpool ever had at his position. The only thing with him is that he knows where to position himself on the pitch and knows how to materialize plays to goals.
A lot of his goals come from free kicks. Even some of them were missed a the first strike but referees gave him second chances. His is an intelligent player but I wouldn't rank him in the same category with the likes of Ian Rush, Keegan and all the good ones that Liverpool have had. Technically, he is below average.

Well funnily enough the poll does compare Owen with the "best strikers in the league". Owen doesn't take free kicks - and you accuse other people of not knowing what they're talking about. I think you must mean penalties and I doubt very much most of his goals come from penalties. He doesn't take them for England yet his scoring record is good in internationals. Bit pointless comparing Owen with his predecessors since they can't get on the pitch to prove it, football has changed since Rush and Keegan put the Liverpool shirt on.

Let's see if you can reply without throwing a tantrum  :D
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby robbie7 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:02 pm

owen is the best look at his goal scoring record and he been injured most of the season shame he going to real madrid
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

robbie7

Postby long sleeved joe » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:23 am

i really think as liverpool fans we take Owen for granted, I think Owen is at his best on the big stage thats why his Eng record in competative matches is amazing (way better than RVN and Henry), we have to hope that we can provide him with big games and then he's the type of player who can win trophies and make a good team great.he's still very young but if we can keep him for the next 7 or 8 years he will be deservedly be amongst the legends of this club
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:56 am

the simple yardstick to compare strikers or attackers is by the number of goals they score and their consistency over several seasons. Here, there is not much to separate Owen, henry and van Nistleroy. However, when we look at their assists also, Henry is far ahead of Owen and RVN. I read somewhere that Henry managed 24 assists apart from 20-odd league goals last season. So, if all-round skills as a player is the criteria apart from goals scored, Henry is the man.
I don't see the merit of Big Ben rubbishing Owen's technical skills...a striker must have a combination of shooting skills, heading skills, bravery, ability to anticipate and read team-mates' build-up play, technical skills, pace, strength and more importantly goal instinct. Some have a more balanced combination comprising all or most of these skills. Theiry Henry is one of them. Some have little technical skills but compensate with tremendous goal instinct and become such effective predators. Remember Gerd Muller or John Aldridge? Not great technical skills and not the fastest but great predatory skills resulting in high goals scored.
RVN at MU is not expected to dribble past defenders, they require him to be at the right place to get those tap-ins or headers. Liverpool could use a skilful Henry-esque player who can really do what Heskey and Diouf can't do - bang in goals and create convertible chances consistently because basically these two have got little goal instinct and that's why they more often than not baloon shots or are way off target.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls