Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Michael owen - Surely...

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes : 119

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:50 am

thegreedo wrote:As much as I hate to agree with Stu on anything I have to concede this one. Incidentally I think Rafa has made up his mind as far as Owen is concerned not to let him anywhere near the place. Yes Owen did let down Liverpool and Rafa in particular by not signing the contract he was offered but I feel it might be foolish not to take the oppertunity of getting our hands on a proven goalscorer for the cost of his salary when again today we have had to rely on goals from midfield to win us the game. If we are to sustain this challenge we need goals from our strikers and whatever history he may have with us Owen could well be the short term answer.

Very short term. He would be injured after one game. Its a risk just not worth taking. There are other strikers out there, not as prolific, but not as injury prone either.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 am

Kharhaz wrote:
thegreedo wrote:As much as I hate to agree with Stu on anything I have to concede this one. Incidentally I think Rafa has made up his mind as far as Owen is concerned not to let him anywhere near the place. Yes Owen did let down Liverpool and Rafa in particular by not signing the contract he was offered but I feel it might be foolish not to take the oppertunity of getting our hands on a proven goalscorer for the cost of his salary when again today we have had to rely on goals from midfield to win us the game. If we are to sustain this challenge we need goals from our strikers and whatever history he may have with us Owen could well be the short term answer.

Very short term. He would be injured after one game. Its a risk just not worth taking. There are other strikers out there, not as prolific, but not as injury prone either.

Fair point but firstly, yes there are other strikers out there but there's nobody anywhere near the quality of Owen that will be available on a Bosman. Secondly yes he is injury prone but to say he's not prolific is rediculous, he has scored more than any Livepool player this season despite his injuries.
Personally I think he's a little sh1t but used sparingly he could be the difference between 1 point and 3 in many games for us and thats exactly what we need to sustain this challenge.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:08 am

Liverpool don't score alot of goals owen does bring owen back end off.  :nod
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 am

thegreedo wrote:Fair point but firstly, yes there are other strikers out there but there's nobody anywhere near the quality of Owen that will be available on a Bosman. Secondly yes he is injury prone but to say he's not prolific is rediculous, he has scored more than any Livepool player this season despite his injuries.
Personally I think he's a little sh1t but used sparingly he could be the difference between 1 point and 3 in many games for us and thats exactly what we need to sustain this challenge.

Im not saying he isnt prolific, im saying I wouldnt personally want him back, and if he did, he would be spending more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. He would be a free signing for a reason, the wages he would get would be daft for the amount of playing time he would put in.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:11 am

Kharhaz wrote:
thegreedo wrote:Fair point but firstly, yes there are other strikers out there but there's nobody anywhere near the quality of Owen that will be available on a Bosman. Secondly yes he is injury prone but to say he's not prolific is rediculous, he has scored more than any Livepool player this season despite his injuries.

Im not saying he isnt prolific, im saying I wouldnt personally want him back, and if he did, he would be spending more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. He would be a free signing for a reason, the wages he would get would be daft for the amount of playing time he would put in.

80k a week for owen I think thats ok he is pure class.

How much is rooney on I personaly think half fit owen is better then any rooney imo.  :)

Owen stats for me

10/10 finishing
10/10 posistioning
7/10 heading
7/10 pace (lost a little but still pretty fast
10/10 composure

Tbh I know this might not seem like much but owen is itching to get back in england squad he will put in top performances its a fact he will bust a gut to win things.

We all bitch about him and how he left and ok it was shitty but lets face facts remember the treb if it wasn't for owen we never would have won those 3 cups those goals he scored ill live with me till day i die. (o dear i almost shead a tear)  :sniffle
Last edited by LegBarnes on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:15 am

LegBarnes wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

How much is rooney on I personaly think half fit owen is better then any rooney imo.  :)

As did Real Madrid and Newcastle. Prolific yes, reliable? that would be a big NO for me.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 am

Kharhaz wrote:

Again, you raise some good points and I may be way off the mark but I have a sneaking suspision Owen may be willing to take a drop on his current salary to get back to Liverpool and if that were the case it would be as st Mick says a "no brainer".

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:21 am

Kharhaz wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

As did Real Madrid and Newcastle. Prolific yes, reliable? that would be a big NO for me.

That guy owen went to get his last op with is top class he had the lastest state of art op done and they recon he has the smallest chance to get problems in that area for quite some time.

I think as long as he done do any thing stupid on that leg he should be fine he has changed his gam and so far seems to be working.

I say pay per game deal offor him contract like 40k per week and 20k per game he plays plus 10k goal bonus.

That way it is good for owen if he stays fit and scores goals and good for liverpool either way.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:21 am

thegreedo wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Again, you raise some good points and I may be way off the mark but I have a sneaking suspision Owen may be willing to take a drop on his current salary to get back to Liverpool and if that were the case it would be as st Mick says a "no brainer".

Its all ifs and buts isnt it. If rafa did sign him, then of course, all the support would be there. But in this instance of rafa being stubborn I hope he remains so. Owen isnt the only solution to a quality striker, as Torres has proved.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am

Kharhaz wrote:
thegreedo wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Its all ifs and buts isnt it. If rafa did sign him, then of course, all the support would be there. But in this instance of rafa being stubborn I hope he remains so. Owen isnt the only solution to a quality striker, as Torres has proved.

Who out there or will be out there in jan do you really see comming in and being a success right of the bat.

I mean knowing a fair bunch of the lads and able to score goals ?

I know i havent left you many options but try.  :D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am

LegBarnes wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

That guy owen went to get his last op with is top class he had the lastest state of art op done and they recon he has the smallest chance to get problems in that area for quite some time.

I think as long as he done do any thing stupid on that leg he should be fine he has changed his gam and so far seems to be working.

I say pay per game deal offor him contract like 40k per week and 20k per game he plays plus 10k goal bonus.

That way it is good for owen if he stays fit and scores goals and good for liverpool either way.

But he is coming to an end with his Newcastle contract and there are not many offers on the table for his services are there? Only Liverpool fans are talking about signing him. If we should sign him then the absolute bare minimum should be offered. He is not in the light he used to be in.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:26 am

I voted no , err because stu voted yes. Only kiddin lash , i think i'd have him back ,just the injuries that worry me . Looks like Torres is going to have a lot of problems with his hamstrings for the foreseeable . Can't really afford to have two of them like that . Other than that ,i don't see why not . Rafa will never have him back though imo ,for the reason's Leon stated.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 am

Kharhaz wrote:
thegreedo wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Basically I just call things as I see them. I was at Ewood today and our current inability to turn possession into goals is really worrying. I am sure Owen would almost deffinately have made an impact on a game like today's but like you I can see there is probably no way back for him with Rafa having made up his mind already. Can't help thinking though, we need goals and Owen scores them, simple as that.

thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 am

I voted yes

Leonmc0708 wrote:No.

1) The tw@t refused to give Rafa a chance when he first came to the club

Can you blame him? He had carried the team for years, saw Gerrard on his way to Chelsea and must have thought WTF! Even when Gerrard agreed to stay it must have shook Owen up. Then R.Madrid show interest ..... he's hardly going to say no.

2) The Dipstick went to Newcastle instead of coming back when he had the chance

He wanted to come back, but we couldn't afford him. FFS don't try to make out he had much of a choice. If he hadn't gone to Newcastle he would have been stuck in Spain for at least another year.

3) Injuries

Fair enough can't argue too much with that one, but he would have to pass a medical and maybe we could include something in his contract?

4) Never go back

Why not ? At the price we would have to pay (around £3million) he is far and away the best answer to our problems.

For the record, I think Heskey will be an even worse signing.

For the record I agree mate
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Bam » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:42 am

no.

Same reasons as Leon.

Also why does anyone think he'll be affordable ?

Sure the transfer fee might not be that high, but his wages what be ridiculous.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls