Jamie carragher - How do you rate jamie carragher

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Jamie carragher - How do you rate jamie carragher

1. World Class
28%
2. Top Class
37%
3. Excellent player who performs like he does because he's playing for Liverpool (not anyone else)
30%
4. Excellent player
2%
5. Good player
1%
6. Overated player
1%
7. Rubbish player
1%

Total votes : 143

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I can see Ferdinand has all the ability in the world, but to blame his failings as a player on 2 of the top rated managers in world football is wrong imo. Eriksson you might get away with that one because alot of people are suggesting he isn't up to the England job, but Ferguson is a great manager, and its not his fault if players dont have the same passion and will to win as he does.
I think the point you made about his concentration going when united are dominating a match was probably right.
But at the end of the day playing for Manchester united thats going to happen in the majority of matches.
I agree that he is blessed with a great deal of talent and if we were to show little 5 minutes clips of both him and Carragher then everyone would pick Rio over Jamie.
I appreciate the fact you can see Carragher is irreplaceable to Liverpool, i dont think you could say the same about Rio with united.
I also dont think that Rio has ever played in a side where the defence is nigh on impregnable, thats got to be partly down to the player.
I do accept the fact that we get an extra 10-20% from Jamie due to his love of the club and the fans, but i still think he could be a rock for England also given a run of a couple of games alongside Terry.
He hasn't had that and anyone who knows there football knows central defenders rely on partnerships.
I dont claim to be an expert but i do think i've called this right.
I want a centre half to be 100% committed into every tackle to be totally focused for 90 minutes, i dont really care if he can bring the ball out and dribble past 2 players, cos first and foremost his job is to defend.
That type of player is Carragher or Terry...not Ferdinand but thats just my opinion.

You state his failings aren't down to national managers and Ferguson. What i'll say to you on that front is O'Leary paid 18million for him, Ferguson paid 30million for him, Sven has him as first choice and other mangers before him picked him in there squads as first choice, do you think they'd pay that money and pick him so regularly even when his forms been poor if his ability level wasn't upto it?

I hate using that arguement, its weak and pathetic to be honest.

I'm using that as an example though that people other than myself see a world class player, yet hardly anyone can get the best out of him.

JBG i think you're comment on his positioning is well off the mark. He's oustanding in that area but playing next to Silvestre, Neville and Brown doesn't do him any justice at all. Remember Hyypia when playing next to Biscan and Traore, how badly did he struggle?

Sometimes players get picked because of reputation and the club they play for. Heskey while he was at Anfield was an England regular and now doesn't get a look in.
I am not saying Rio is not a good player, but he is over rated, i would not be comfortable if he was playing for LFC no matter how much talent he has, a mistake is always just around the corner.
I think too many people are conned by Rio, imo he lacks bottle and concentration, and whether he is picked for England or not doesn't bother me.
It was the argument about Fowler with 7_kewell were you said that because others dont rate him was p@ss poor.
Although you do usually offer your own opinion and reasoning you have just offered the same they rate him so he's obviously class point.
Which i'm sure you'd agree is poor.

To be honest, that was a come back at something you said. I have lots of opinions and examples of this, i'll go through it in detail after work if you want me to. I have an appointment at 7 o'clock though and need to get ready so there you go. :rasp
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:44 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I can see Ferdinand has all the ability in the world, but to blame his failings as a player on 2 of the top rated managers in world football is wrong imo. Eriksson you might get away with that one because alot of people are suggesting he isn't up to the England job, but Ferguson is a great manager, and its not his fault if players dont have the same passion and will to win as he does.
I think the point you made about his concentration going when united are dominating a match was probably right.
But at the end of the day playing for Manchester united thats going to happen in the majority of matches.
I agree that he is blessed with a great deal of talent and if we were to show little 5 minutes clips of both him and Carragher then everyone would pick Rio over Jamie.
I appreciate the fact you can see Carragher is irreplaceable to Liverpool, i dont think you could say the same about Rio with united.
I also dont think that Rio has ever played in a side where the defence is nigh on impregnable, thats got to be partly down to the player.
I do accept the fact that we get an extra 10-20% from Jamie due to his love of the club and the fans, but i still think he could be a rock for England also given a run of a couple of games alongside Terry.
He hasn't had that and anyone who knows there football knows central defenders rely on partnerships.
I dont claim to be an expert but i do think i've called this right.
I want a centre half to be 100% committed into every tackle to be totally focused for 90 minutes, i dont really care if he can bring the ball out and dribble past 2 players, cos first and foremost his job is to defend.
That type of player is Carragher or Terry...not Ferdinand but thats just my opinion.

You state his failings aren't down to national managers and Ferguson. What i'll say to you on that front is O'Leary paid 18million for him, Ferguson paid 30million for him, Sven has him as first choice and other mangers before him picked him in there squads as first choice, do you think they'd pay that money and pick him so regularly even when his forms been poor if his ability level wasn't upto it?

I hate using that arguement, its weak and pathetic to be honest.

I'm using that as an example though that people other than myself see a world class player, yet hardly anyone can get the best out of him.

JBG i think you're comment on his positioning is well off the mark. He's oustanding in that area but playing next to Silvestre, Neville and Brown doesn't do him any justice at all. Remember Hyypia when playing next to Biscan and Traore, how badly did he struggle?

Sometimes players get picked because of reputation and the club they play for. Heskey while he was at Anfield was an England regular and now doesn't get a look in.
I am not saying Rio is not a good player, but he is over rated, i would not be comfortable if he was playing for LFC no matter how much talent he has, a mistake is always just around the corner.
I think too many people are conned by Rio, imo he lacks bottle and concentration, and whether he is picked for England or not doesn't bother me.
It was the argument about Fowler with 7_kewell were you said that because others dont rate him was p@ss poor.
Although you do usually offer your own opinion and reasoning you have just offered the same they rate him so he's obviously class point.
Which i'm sure you'd agree is poor.

To be honest, that was a come back at something you said. I have lots of opinions and examples of this, i'll go through it in detail after work if you want me to. I have an appointment at 7 o'clock though and need to get ready so there you go. :rasp

I was surprised by the reply earlier.
It was un-stu-like :p
Will look forward to hearing your reasons later.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 pm

rrr yer a good lad aren't ya, arguementative and clueless, but a good lad none the less... :laugh:

Only joking Ace. :D
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:51 pm

stu_the_red wrote:arguementative and clueless,

No mate thats the missus :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:08 pm

stu_the_red wrote:JBG i think you're comment on his positioning is well off the mark. He's oustanding in that area but playing next to Silvestre, Neville and Brown doesn't do him any justice at all. Remember Hyypia when playing next to Biscan and Traore, how badly did he struggle?

Benfica's first goal at the Stadium of Light is one example off the top of my head. All of the UTD defence were at fault (amazingly so, John O' Shea let the cross go through his legs, Silvestre and Ferdinand failed to deal with the cross when it came into the box and Gary Neville lost his man who ghosted in between him and Ferdinand to score  :D ).

Also, remember Pederson's long range free kick/cross for Blackburn at Old Trafford?

I don't rate Ferdinand, simple as that. Some of the best players I have ever seen had plenty of character, very little Ferdinand as a footballer has.

I'd honestly have Carragher ahead of him any day of the week. There are often more important things to a team than ability, character, leadership and personality are also hugely important.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Ferdinand is completely overrated. What happened to the guy who was possibly England's best and most gifted defender not so long ago? All seems to have gone to his head and now he's more interested in fancy hairstyles and picking up as much money as possible, while our real best defenders (Carragher, Terry, etc.) just get their heads down, work hard and give their teams 100% week in week out. Give me a defender like that every time. The money that Ferdinand is reportedly on is a slap in the face to all manure fans when you consider what they get in return.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Last season I mentioned how Carragher would not perform as well as he does for us if he were to play for another club. A huge part of his game is dedication and passion towards this club. He wouldn't have that for any other club in the world and therefore I don't think his performances would be as consistant and solid elsewhere as they are here.

Not ''World Class'', but incredibly effective and important for us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 pm

stmichael wrote:Ferdinand is completely overrated. What happened to the guy who was possibly England's best and most gifted defender not so long ago? All seems to have gone to his head and now he's more interested in fancy hairstyles and picking up as much money as possible, while our real best defenders (Carragher, Terry, etc.) just get their heads down, work hard and give their teams 100% week in week out. Give me a defender like that every time. The money that Ferdinand is reportedly on is a slap in the face to all manure fans when you consider what they get in return.

When he got suspended, check out there defensive record. Then compare it to what it was when he came back. Its not a coincidence and some people will be very suprised.

I can't be arsed going into detail right now, i'm to pissed off. For those who don't rate him though, have a little look at that.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:29 pm

ferdinand is a very good footballer. when you look at him, you can see why he started out as a midfielder.

however i want my defenders to defend first and foremost. ability to bring the ball out like rio or woodgate is a bonus. when was the last time you actually saw ferdinand throw himself infront of a shot or put his head in where it hurts? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:31 pm

Its simple really.

Ask any Man UTD fan who have been supporting them since at least 1988 whether they would prefer Rio Ferdinand to Steve Bruce and you'll have your answer.

Bruce was slow, akward and with limited ability on the ball. I don't think any of the England managers around during his time ever considered him good enough to warrant an England cap.

Ferdinand has more ability than Bruce in his big toe yet who was more influential? Bruce delivered BIG TIME for Ferguson in the early 1990s (wasn't it the case that one season he got EIGHTEEN goals from centre half?). I remember well watching the Man UTD Sheff Wednesday game in 1993 when UTD at last won the league. I think they may have went 1-0 down to a John Sheridan goal, their heads started to drop under pressure (they blew the League big time at Anfield the previous year in the final game of the season) until Bruce stepped up and headed in two goals.

Its not all about ability. Bruce was a limited player but at Man UTD he found his role and perfect environment. Ferdinand may be 10 times a more talented player, but talent alone doesn't win you the major honours, guts and character also count, and for that reason alone I'd never have Ferdinand in my team.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Carra , can't run , can't strike a ball . couldn't pass you the salt ,BUT I wouldn't swap him for anyone .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby john mac » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:32 pm

i must admit i gave garragher some terrible stick under houlier believing he just wasint good enough fuk me i shouted some abuse at the lad week in week out then my god he turned it around hes proved me badly wrong he was raised a blue but my god hes red to tha bone now and i :censored: luv him if u read this jamie soz lad how i act is out of love for my city and my team i eat humble pie .
john mac

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:35 pm

One of my many memories of the CL final was when carra went down with cramp in both legs and immediatly when he came back on he had to throw himself to block a chance on goal,he then struggles to his feet yet again to defend the resulting corner.Again abit later he put in an amazing tackle on shevchenko i think to stop his attempt on goal. Now i think there are other defenders out there who are technicaly better but i wouldn't honestly swap him for anyone.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:One of my many memories of the CL final was when carra went down with cramp in both legs and immediatly when he came back on he had to throw himself to block a chance on goal,he then struggles to his feet yet again to defend the resulting corner.Again abit later he put in an amazing tackle on shevchenko i think to stop his attempt on goal. Now i think there are other defenders out there who are technicaly better but i wouldn't honestly swap him for anyone.

Spot on. :)
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 am

Igor Zidane wrote:One of my many memories of the CL final was when carra went down with cramp in both legs and immediatly when he came back on he had to throw himself to block a chance on goal,he then struggles to his feet yet again to defend the resulting corner.Again abit later he put in an amazing tackle on shevchenko i think to stop his attempt on goal. Now i think there are other defenders out there who are technicaly better but i wouldn't honestly swap him for anyone.

Well said there mate!!
I defy any true football fan who could watch that performance and not feel admiration for our Jamie in that game,especially in the later stages when he was feeling the pain of his brave efforts!
Every time i see that i feel a lump in my throat!
Let's face it as i've said before Carra makes up for his lack of technical ability tenfold with effort,passion and hard work!Money cannot buy the spirit the man shows when he pulls on the red jersey...I just wish we had more like him!
We could pay any amount of money for a defender but i struggle to think of any player worldwide who could give us what he does.
At times it's refreshing to see that in the world of football where money rules and will slowly become the boss of our sport there are still players like him who will gladly sweat blood for the cause!
I love him.....but not in a gay way Judge if you are reading! :;):

KING CARRA :buttrock
66-1120597113

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls