Jamie carragher - How do you rate jamie carragher

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Jamie carragher - How do you rate jamie carragher

1. World Class
28%
2. Top Class
37%
3. Excellent player who performs like he does because he's playing for Liverpool (not anyone else)
30%
4. Excellent player
2%
5. Good player
1%
6. Overated player
1%
7. Rubbish player
1%

Total votes : 143

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:31 pm

Please don't just vote and do us a favour mods, let this run a bit because hardly anyone else uses the other parts of the forum.

I want to hear some opinions aswell as to why you think what you do. Don't just vote and say nothing, i'm interested into what everyones views are on the lad.

Personally i think he's at number 3. I think otherwise he'd just be a good player. He's been a good player since day one for me but has always had his limitations. I remember when he played centre half under Roy Evans and you could see then at 19/20 he was the only player in that defence who had a clue. He was left horribely exposed by all the other centre halfs though.

When he played under Houllier the stick he recieved was a joke. People saying he couldn't go forward etc. First and foremost he is a defender and a damn good one. The only two players i've ever seen go past him like he wasn't there was Henry and Pires at there best, baring in mind some of the players he's played against that says it all.

I mean, you look at his game, he's excellent in alot of defensive area's with being world class at any of them, his ability to sweep up around Hyypia and play of Sami's ariel dominance is superb.

To be fair he's become more of a leader and gained more confidence over the years which is understandable but in general i don't think he's improved so much, i just think he's found a system, a home and a way of playing which suits the system and it gets the best out of him every week.
115-1073096938

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Top class for me. In amongst the best five or six centre-halves in the Premiership. He is a player who is at ease with what is expected of him, knows the system we are playing and crucially who he is going to play alongside and who is playing behind him and it shows. He isn't especially quick but gets over this with good game reading and anticipation. He doesn't do a Ferdinand and get caught up trying to be a "footballing centre half", and is quite happy to be a defender first and formost and lump it into row Z if necessary.
I don't hink he is quite upto playing for the national team right now and is quite unlucky to have come along at a time when we are blessed in that department. I would rate him behind Terry, King and Ferdinand in that order but ahead of Campbell who I think has gone over the top. I also rate Carvallio and Gallas in this top group of central defenders but think our pairing of Carra and HYppia is about the best in the division.
Given his age and his devotion to all things red, Terry is the only defender in the Premiership whom I would consider for a swap with Carragher. Even then I think I'd probably decline all things considered.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:46 pm

I still remember what he did in the last few seasons ago which headed 2 goals into own net against ManUtd. Since that time i hate him but he show his potential under Rafa and keep improving nowadays. No doubt he's a top class defender in EPL but he still have to learn and learn before we can grab the EPL title. Didn't he? :;):
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Well what can you say about Carra?
He is as important to the team as anyone at present,a fantastic player with the attitude we can only wish all our players had!
Strangely i feel he is not the best defender in England technically but what he lacks in ability which is not much,he more than compensates with passion and hard work!
I reckon also that Hyypia complements him hugely,its plain to see the two have a huge understanding that is vital in creating a solid defence..
Its obvious that Sami is nearing the end of his career and we can just hope that Agger fits in well and him and Jamie develop a strong partnership or we could be in danger of loosing a huge part of the backbone of our squad.Personally i reckon Raffa has chosen Agger meticiously and he will do the job for us.
Another thing about Carra is the way he drives and inspires the players around him,theres no slackers when he's on the park and if someone aint giving 100% he'll let them know!
What more can you say really he plays for the shirt with passion every time and never gives up,the guy shows an attitude that is going amiss in the changing world of football where money is more important to a lot of players than anything else!
In short
I LOVE HIM!! :D
66-1120597113

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:18 pm

im gonna give hi the rating top class. Hes not world class yet but has the time on his side to learn his trade more. I woulda given him a 4 rating before the infamous coin throwing incident but since then hes grown so much as  aplayer if you ask me. Theres so much more to his game now. His ability to lead from the back done us so much in recent years and hes just a rock for us.

In all honesty i wouldnt swap him for anyone in the premiership or even the world but that has a lot to do with biased as well. Even so, im giving the guy top class, and the only way hes gonna move is up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:20 pm

Between 2 and 3 for me. I echo most of what Stu said above, and I cannot see Carra being quite as good for another team. He is Liverpool through and through and I don't think we'll ever see him at another club, as he'll probably still be at Anfield when he is 35.

For the record, I was one of Carra's big critics a few years ago, when he played right back. He can do a job there but when the team struggled, Carra struggled.

He has found his best position now and is prospering,
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby red37 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:26 pm

carragher epitomises all things liverpool.. the determination,grit,tenacity,desire,passion and the will to survive. as a defender he is wrongly under estimated by the media and would stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best, in terms of character and ability.

in my view he would (still) make a great captain for this club, thats taking nothing away from stevie, who is exemplory (this season) in that role. however, if gerrard were to be unavailable then who better to take on the mantle.....

i particularly love the way JC isnt fazed by the adulation/glory hunting ways of other high profile defenders....and he is a firm favourite with the fans i feel due to that. in short, he may not be the best defender in the world. but when he pulls out the stops and produces performances out of the top draw, you dont hear the lad crowing about it... its called humility.
something severely lacking in the modern era.

top man, top player and a role model for most. its a pity he will never get the gongs for that.

mr liverpool?  definately.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red or dead » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:43 pm

i agree with stu number 3 for me, an excellent player but might not be up for it at another club, and such a nice down to earth lad lives just down the road from me and grew up with my girlfriend and has been to a lot of our family doos, definatley one of the most commited players in football today.
red or dead

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:54 pm

worldclass now, the best defender in the premiership.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Option 3.

He's a very good defender, but his extra bit of discipline, plus the companion he has, plus the fact he knows to be Rafa's right arm in the pitch, makes him perfect for the place

BTW, the bit of the companion he has is not an opinion of mine. It was something a while ago someone pointed out, that is, that Hyppya and Carraguer hide each other's weak points, and I realised he was right. In a forum it's unavoidable to take other's point as your own, that's a bit a forum, put what you have to provide, and learn something of others. I've learnt a lot from you, A.B, Dalglish, Bigmick and many others. THis is an answer to your point that many pick other's points as their own! :)

Good thread, BTW, Stu.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:22 pm

I think hes class.

Hes consistantly good and you can tell he loves everythin about Liverpool and the club hes in.

:) :) :) :)
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby stetheo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:39 pm

i think hes a top player so im lookin between 2 and 3. i think he has shown his potential more recently.
stetheo

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:34 pm

the rating for carra is completely dependent on the way one views a top defender. let me point out the cream of both camps.

i'll call the first 'the cleaner' -- never makes errors doesn't go forward, stays at home and knows his job -- stop goals -- king of this class-- john terry

i'll call the second ' glory hunters' -- want to score and be in the play and forget their first job is to stop goals -- get lots of press costs lots of goals and everyone thinks they are great -- winner -- rio -- the next time i hear he's the best in the world, i'll just laugh at that 3 stooges+curly joe routine i see in the man u defense compared to ours

as i have no use for glory hunters i put carra in group 1 -- he is a complementary defender to sammi, BUT i wonder when aggar finally takes over if carra will take the #1 spot -- right now he is the best #2 in the league. face it he just doesn't make mistakes, soaks up attacks and allows sammi to play center forward at times.

being difficult, i'd rate him 2.5 -- awaiting to see what happens when he becomes the #1 -- but face it that defense is awsome and he has alot to do with it -- make him a 2 then :wwww
vlady16.1

Postby spion » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:19 pm

I rate carra with a board & when he comes off at full time I hold it above my head so he can see it. Sometimes he gets a good score.
spion

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:28 pm

doesn't go forward

Good post but that part is

WRONG.

I mean, watch again the CL final :D when the Spanish Ref concedes a penalty. Due to language similarity the Italians start to protest massively, and then Carragher appears waving his arms and telling to the reff "OFF OFF OFF" (I think) to tell the ref that the Milan players should be outside the box so that the penalty was taken.

If you can, watch it again, pure personality. He doesn't need Spanish at all to be understood by the Ref :D
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls