FABIO BORINI- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 am

He wont even make the bench...
Thommo's perm

Postby ethanr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 am

I think we're being a bit harsh here...

We're upset and show distaste to players who don't want to come to Liverpool, and do the same to those who don't want to leave Liverpool?

Borini has never struck me as a money-hungry player, and like others have said I think his demands were to ensure he'd stay at Liverpool and get the chance to prove himself. If they were willing to pay him that much it'd somewhat raise the profile of the player, and force QPR (or whoever) to build the club around him and give him an opportunity to prove his worth, and move back to a top club.

Not that I hoped he'd stay as I'd rather we have recouped that much cash, but I'm not going to be too angry at a player for fighting for his spot.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 am

at the end of the day, the lad wants to stay. It's a bit off for people to say we should boo him and slag him off. I mean, FFS, people slated Suarez for trying to leave and break his contract, yet Fabio gets the same for staying?

He's not on a huge wage and he clearly wants to make it at a club in the Champions League. Let's give the guy a break. For sure, he's not good enough to start, but you can't slate him for trying to make it here. I guess he'll get one or two cameos and be off in January.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 am

As always, we don't know all the details…but I sure as fook would chose to stay on instead of go to either of those 2 clubs. I doubt we would have bought anyone else now even if he did go. Personally I am happier with 4 strikers to choose from than 3 and he showed last season that he could find a net. He's young, you never know, he might surprise us and I have a feeling we might be grateful for him being around somewhere in the season….just a feeling :)

You'd fancy your chances of a couple of games this season no with all the fixtures we have….the chance to be on the field with the team we now have…..don't blame him at all
Homebooby

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 am

ethanr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am wrote:I think we're being a bit harsh here...

We're upset and show distaste to players who don't want to come to Liverpool, and do the same to those who don't want to leave Liverpool?

Borini has never struck me as a money-hungry player, and like others have said I think his demands were to ensure he'd stay at Liverpool and get the chance to prove himself. If they were willing to pay him that much it'd somewhat raise the profile of the player, and force QPR (or whoever) to build the club around him and give him an opportunity to prove his worth, and move back to a top club.

Not that I hoped he'd stay as I'd rather we have recouped that much cash, but I'm not going to be too angry at a player for fighting for his spot.

Exactly, it wasn't that long ago that Hendo found himself in a similar position to Borini, the club had accepted Fulham's offer and obviously wanted him to go but Jordan turned down the move in order to fight for his place, 2 years on he is one of the first names down on our team sheet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby sniffy98 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 am

Finally some decent posts on the lad. Pathetic comments about booing him/abusing him. He has a contract and if he wants to battle for a place and doesn't mind being the fourth striker than he's more than welcome to stay and battle on. He does lack body strength but definitely has ability. I don't think some of the guys here that want him booted out saw him perform last season. All they can see is the ££££. Transfers in or out are far more complex than two clubs having agreed a transfer fee. The Hendo example is one that highlights how things are not clear cut even if one party is desperate to ship the player out. Support the lad ffs.
sniffy98

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 am

sniffy98 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 am wrote:Finally some decent posts on the lad. Pathetic comments about booing him/abusing him. He has a contract and if he wants to battle for a place and doesn't mind being the fourth striker than he's more than welcome to stay and battle on. He does lack body strength but definitely has ability. I don't think some of the guys here that want him booted out saw him perform last season. All they can see is the ££££. Transfers in or out are far more complex than two clubs having agreed a transfer fee. The Hendo example is one that highlights how things are not clear cut even if one party is desperate to ship the player out. Support the lad ffs.

As you say I think most fans don't particularly dislike Borini it's just that we all are guilty of getting obsessed and bogged down with the bottom line these days. The clubs have done a good job of turning us all into accountants.
People needn't worry, FSG have done well this summer financially, they have managed to radically re-build the team (and the squad) for a nett spend of about £20m-£30m which is less than half of money they got from Sky alone, never mind their other revenue streams.
The fans are happy because we see quality players like Balotelli, Moreno, Markovic and Lallana etc coming into the club and the owners are happy because they have made a good few bob. Everyone is happy and in the grand scheme of things the £14m we could have got for Borini isn't really that significant. The lad wants to stay, he's an honest trier who always gives 100% and he won't be banging on the managers door wondering why he's not in the team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 pm

One more thing about Borini, whilst I don't think he has the weapons in his game to ever be top class I do think he has showed enough at Sunderland to suggest that he can score goals in the prem. We tend to judge him from his pre season performances were he is often surrounded by players on the fringe of the squad or U21 players but if he was played in a line up like this for instance who'd put it past him scoring a goal or two?

Mingolet

Manquillo                  Lovren               Skrtel                  Moreno

Henderson            Lallana

Sterling                         Coutinho                       Markovic

Borini
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ballotelliman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 pm

how does anyone know if  big italian B might link up well with little italian  b. The lad has everything desire passion good movement off the ball  great engine just not prolific in front of goal. still gona need 4 strikers anyway and hes good to bring on with 10 miutes to go to defend a lead
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby sniffy98 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Agreed Yakka. He'll turn out in the cup games, during an injury crisis or as a late sub. But with better players around him instead of the mishmash in pre season of reserves / unfit players / youngsters etc, he could surprise a few. I just think support the lad until and if he leaves.
sniffy98

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I think many fans (myself included) are a bit frustrated with the back and forth decision making of Borini and his agent. I think it was clear to him that he's deemed surplus to requirement and won't be seeing much playing time.

I don't consider his situation to be the same as that of Henderson other than both was about to be sold...whereas Henderson was getting quite a bit of game time and featured regularly in our starting XI, Borini has not. Henderson had also come out and made it clear to the club that he wants to stay and fight for his place but I've not heard of such from Borini.

If he really wants to stay, then make it loud and clear and stop stringing the other clubs along then ask for sky high personal terms that he's not getting.

I can't see myself to ever booing one of our boys while he's wearing our jersey...Borini is partially to blame but so is Brendan for signing him...then again it was in the early days when he (Brendan) have little idea of the quality he was working with.

All in all, not a great career move at the prime of his life. If he is to sit on the bench for the next two season don't think any team higher than Sunderland or QPR will be rushing to sign him anytime soon.

But now that he remains here, i hoped he'll show progress and have the stomach to fight to be in the squad. But guys, we can have our opinion but no booing and abusing of our playes here please...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Tbh he's no worse than Lambert from what we've seen of Ricky so far, in that respect he can easily vie for the third strikers spot
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I think BR bought Ricky because he could give us another option when the usual game plan don't work. With Fabio, he would have to relied on both our forwards getting injured or play the odd cup games
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:01 pm

There was a reason Sunderland were prepared to pay £14m for him, he scored some big goals for the Wearsider's including a winner in the north east derby, a goal at Wembley in the league cup final against City and in particular a little run of 4 goals in their last 5 games when their premier league status was hanging by a thread.
We all know he's not Luis Suarez but he's a hard worker who may actually come in handy, say for instance we are 1-0 up at a tough place and suddenly go down to 10 or even 9 men, if we need someone to work his @rse off up front and chase lost causes there's not many more willing runners than him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Yeah, I guess some of us got worked up over the fact that we didn't get all that money for him rather than the fact that he'll be staying.

I disagree that his situation was similar to Henderson's. Hendo was already a starter at the team and we were offered little money for him, as opposed to Borini. Also, for me at least, Hendo's potential was evident and I could see that he can be a valuable player for us, whereas Borini... I really doubt that he'll be of any use. However, suggesting that we should boo him for wanting to stay and fight for his place is over the top. I think that we should allow him to show what he can do, at least on training sessions, and we as fans should support him. Not that we have a choice now anyway.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion