Liverpool have too many foreigners....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:30 am

according to Blatter. Is it just me or does shit come out of his mouth every time he opens it?

Article:
Blatter wants limit on foreigners

Fifa president Sepp Blatter wants every club to have a minimum of six players from the country they play in, to limit the increasing number of foreigners.

Blatter cited Liverpool as a team without enough home-grown players, but said the issue was ultimately down to individual national associations.

"This is the system which Fifa thinks is right," said Blatter.

"In clubs like Liverpool and Bayern Munich there's only one or two domestic players. This isn't good for football."

Liverpool's first-team squad includes the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch, Stephen Warnock and Scott Carson all of whom are qualified to play for England.

The rest of the Reds squad is a cosmopolitan mix including six Spanish players.

However, several other Premiership clubs have similar proportions of English and overseas players.

European Union rules on the free movement of workers within the member states are one obvious barrier to Blatter's proposals, but Blatter said he hoped a compromise could be reached.

"National identity is very important," he added.

"But the regulations of the club competitions are not made by Fifa but by the national associations and it is up to them and their leagues to limit the entry of foreign players.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:36 am

A.B. wrote:according to Blatter. Is it just me or does shit come out of his mouth every time he opens it?

Article:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter wants every club to have a minimum of six players from the country they play in, to limit the increasing number of foreigners.

Blatter cited Liverpool as a team without enough home-grown players, but said the issue was ultimately down to individual national associations.

"In clubs like Liverpool and Bayern Munich there's only one or two domestic players. This isn't good for football."

Liverpool's first-team squad includes the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch, Stephen Warnock and Scott Carson all of whom are qualified to play for England.

However, several other Premiership clubs have similar proportions of English and overseas players.

European Union rules on the free movement of workers within the member states are one obvious barrier to Blatter's proposals, but Blatter said he hoped a compromise could be reached.

"But the regulations of the club competitions are not made by Fifa but by the national associations and it is up to them and their leagues to limit the entry of foreign players.

Looks like the head muppet is shooting his mouth off again. How about giving the Oceania Confederation a full spot in the World Cup rather than kowtowing to the South Americans all the time?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:40 am

He never ceases to amaze me with his fossil-like thinking. Does he not realise that we have a reasonable amount of Brit players when compared to Arsenal, Sh*tski and even Man Ush*ted.

Carson
Crouch
JC
SG
Warnock
Potter
Raven
Mellor
All these have played 1st team games for LFC. 3 are regulars.
Working on the premis that we have to have 8 in the squad for CL ties by 2008, we can stick 2 fingers up at the silly git already!!!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 am

Sepp Blatter should go fu.ck himself.Foreigners like him give the rest of us a bad name.Where would Liverpool be without Shankly,Benitez,Dalglish,Souness,Hansen,Mcallister,Whelan,Heighway,Molby,Rush,Grobbellar,L
awrenson,Aldridge,Hyppia,Alonso,Johnson,Beglin,Jones,Toshack,Reina,Gillespie,Houghton,Hama
nn.......Whats the point of going on,i reckon ive proved my point.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:02 am

A.B. wrote:according to Blatter. Is it just me or does shit come out of his mouth every time he opens it?

Article:

what do u expect from a self-professed chelsea fan ?

sepp "dickhead" bladder......
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:23 am

greenred wrote:Sepp Blatter should go fu.ck himself.Foreigners like him give the rest of us a bad name.Where would Liverpool be without Shankly,Benitez,Dalglish,Souness,Hansen,Mcallister,Whelan,Heighway,Molby,Rush,Grobbellar,L

awrenson,Aldridge,Hyppia,Alonso,Johnson,Beglin,Jones,Toshack,Reina,Gillespie,Houghton,Hama

nn.......Whats the point of going on,i reckon ive proved my point.

I think we could done without Souness coaching though...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:25 pm

what an absolute load of bullsh#t.

bolton have got 20 different nationalities in their squad ffs. i don't hear him moaning about that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:29 pm

Personally I am all for the limits to the number of foreign pansies taking money out of our game, but unfortunatly the EU would never let it ride what with the movement of fair trade and al lthat Brussells rubbish.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:21 pm

wed be ok but then dodgy things would start happening like putting cleaing boys on the books just to justify a number.

would this be happening in all the countries? Coz in some countries its ieven worse than ours.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:59 pm

I'm sure i read something a while back about FIFA wanting to encourage the promotion of "home grown" talent within their respective domestic leagues , i think the article rambled on about FIFA wanting to introduce quota's on the number of home grown players a club should have on their books .Does anyone remember it ? .Obviously EU rules regarding freedom of movement and work will have to be observed so I'm not sure how much weight we should attach to Blatters latest blurt .

Having said all that ,there is a worthwile discussion here,i.e. would football in general benefit from a restriction on the number of foriegn players a club can have in their squad ? It would certainly stop the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid from bullying there way to titles .I realise a return to the old quota system of 3 foreigners per team would also impact on LFC but as it would apply to ALL clubs in the prem it wouldn't necessarily mean we would be weaker ...........or would it ?
:D

Pick your own LFC team using only three "foreigners"  we don't look to shabby .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:21 pm

There isn't a thing that can be done about it because of the basic concept of freedom of movement of workers under the Treaty of Rome. Blatter can complain all he wants, but FIFA are small fry compared to the EU commission.

Interestingly, I've noted in the past 2 seasons in Italian football the amount of foreigners over there has dramatically decreased. Outside of the top 4, most Italian sides have at least 8 or 9 Italian players in their starting line ups.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:47 pm

I feel quite entitled to talk about "protecting domestic players".

Blatter really pisses me off, everytime he says something about protecting domestic football, everytime, he says something that actually doesn't help the domestic football.

My other team, Real Sociedad, is a club that's been traditionally in first division, and traditionally has done so with the youth system. It's one of the most important youth system source in Spain, so we do know a bit about "domestic" football. We've been regularly providing 1 or 2 players to the national squad until now, being Alonso the latest of this jewells.

What Blatter pretends, is to roll back 20 years back, he's not proposing anything new, he's proposing the same cr*p that has benefit Real Mandril in the dark ages of seventies and eighties.

In that times, we were producing jewells aswell, but there were rules impossed by the UEFA or FIFA and the Spanish federation, that limited the number of foreigners to 3, and there was no "minimum fee clause" so big teams like Barcelona just picked the fruits we carefully planted for insultant (because low) amounts of money (Bakero, Begiristain, Alonso father)

In that times aswell we won 2 leagues (81/72) and then half the team was dismantled with no serious payment, so it was quite a bit frustrating to be a Real Sociedad supporter.

Then the things changed, the minimum clause fee, permitted us to protect our players, and that gave us time to build up a squad with time, and some reinforcements such as Aldo to fill our weak points.

When the foreigners came, the situation even got better, since big teams like mandril or Bar$a would't bother to pick our expensive players when they could get a star from somewhere else, that allowed us to come back to UEFA places, and eventually a 2nd place in the liga .

So it just turns out that what Blatter says that it's bad for domestic football is good for us, player producers. And what Blatter says it's good for dmestic football turned out to be fatal for us in the past.

Besides, foreigners might make a swiss team, competitive in Europe, meaning that indeed local players can benefit of the presence of foreigners.

National sentiment is important? for him perhaps, but see, we have a full national squad fixtures table to keep those sentiments up, so :censored: off Blatter, and let clubs work the way they like to.:angry:
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 5 Time Champs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:09 pm

Potter is Irish
5 Time Champs

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Doesn't matter, he's from the academy
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mighty mo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:48 pm

the sooner he is no longer president of fifa is the day football will be better,but the guy is so corrupt he will be in that position for a long time sadly
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion