Coronavirus and Football

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am

More cases will follow suit now as Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi has testing positive for Corona virus.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:55 am

Reg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:17 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:51 am wrote:Unfortunately i think there a chance this season could be written off, even if we win it I can’t see the teams currently in the bottom 3 going down without a fight. They’ll be wanting the season to be null and voided, they’ll be saying they started the season under the impression that they had 38 games to get out of trouble not 28, they’ll also be saying this is a multi billion dollar business not a pub league you can’t change the rules halfway through etc.
That’s without mentioning the 5 or 6 teams who are currently in the mix for that 5th place CL spot, there would be law suits flying around everywhere.
Hate to say it but this could get complicated.

What a load of negative, surrender monkey tosh!

You think the season should be null and void because of 8 deaths? Play to empty stadiums! If BRod has 3 out with the virus, tough titties, play 3 replacements.

Everyone just whinges these days and wants to be seen wringing their hands. If the Daily Mail headline was to cut your left testicle off, would you do so?   :lookaround

If they have to end the season then so be be it and positions stand as they are, so LFC undisputed champions, bottom 3 go down and top 4 for CL. If you wanted to avoid the drop you've had 28 games to do so, so don't whinge. Leadership is what's needed now, not fear mongering and unquestioned acceptance.

It reminds me of when you wanted to sign Pogba, Yakka.  :wwww

Err no I don’t think the season should be null and voided, I was just saying what I think would happen and given I wrote that post before the telegraph et al printed their stories about certain premier league chairmen wanting the season null and voided i’d say I deserve a pat on the back for being prescient, wouldn’t you?
Also I know you don’t mean it like that but we shouldn’t be too flippant about this Reg, yes this thing mainly affects older people but before this all blows over there will be a lot more deaths than 8, senior politicians over in the states are now saying that in all probability the mortality rate over there will be higher than US losses during WWII. Yes it will be mainly the elderly but they are still human beings Reg with wives, husbands, sons, daughters and grandchildren who will be devastated to lose them.
Apparently there’s a meeting of premier league bosses either today or tomorrow so it wouldn’t surprise me if the league was suspended in the next few days, after that happens every club will be fighting their corner and a lot, maybe even a majority will be in favour of null and voiding the season, the only ones who 100% won’t are the current top 4/5 who would be happy to see the season ended now because they get the CL £££ next season.
When there’s millions if not billions of pounds at stake clubs aren’t just going to roll over and accept it Reg, in fact if we’d had a total disaster of a season and were in the bottom 3 now do you honestly think we’d go down without a fight, FSG would be hiring every sports lawyer on the East Coast of America if we were in Norwich’s or Villa’s position.

Edit - entire Everton squad now self isolating, Leicester and Watford have players showing symptoms too, add that to the news about Arteta and Hudson-Odoi and the league will almost certainly be suspended this afternoon, given the peak of this outbreak is projected to be anywhere between 4 and 16 weeks away football in this country won’t be restarting anytime soon.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:26 am

China say they had the first day without any new cases yesterday - if you believe that out of 1.4 billion people.

What pisses me off Yakka is here in Asia we've been taking this very seriously for more than 6-8 weeks and it's only now that europe is waking up and panicing. If europe had started to respond when Asia did then the  impact would have been far better handled. The frenzy in the UK press is verging on national hysteria.... what have folks been doing for the last 2 months?

Media throwing around comments like more people will die from this than in WWII is criminal. Even if it is true, no serious government would state it as they're encouraging panic with all it's consequences. Crass click fed media led by media hungry crass politicians. Imagine a WWII leader, politician or general stating "guess what guys, you're all going to die..."

Concerning the league, what is needed now is strong leadership and hard decisions. The league stops tomorrow and results and positions stand. Clubs with games in hand will play them behind closed doors within 7 days and will all finish on equal games. INSTEAD they'll be discussing the loss of tv revenue, gate revenue and crying they need state support.  In times of national emergency where fans cannot be allowed to congregate in massive numbers and players are already being isolated, then facing facts, there is no alternative. There is no fair or good solution I'm afraid, just as for British Airways, Carnavel Cruises, shops, hotels, taxis and factories producing goods people are no longer buying, all dependent on tourism for example... there is no easy solution for them but it's no different to footie clubs.

I'm not flippant Yakka, I'm massively cynical.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:28 am

move the euros to next summer , suspend the leagues for 3-4 weeks...extend the football season till end of June... either scrap fa cup or move remaining fixtures back to allow the league to finish using midweek and weekends
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:44 am

In fact I would void the champions league and Europa league to allow the time for all European leagues to be completed , thus allowing for promotion and relegation issues to be resolved and qualification for next seasons champions league and Europa league to be settled.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 am

If they decide to write off this season and reset everything back to the end of last season then our 30 wait for a title becomes null and void - then I'll be done with football.

Imagine the knock on effect it would have on the teams in the lower leagues? Darren Gough was saying on Talksport last night about Leeds Utd - tried so hard to get back to the Premier League only to have it stripped from then by this virus!

I don't know what will happen but it's chaos.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 pm

All Premier League games suspended until April 3
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Football is secondary. If the coronavirus continues to spread the way it is then the lives of thousands of elderly and medically vulnerable people is at risk. I think all the international tournaments will be moved to next summer and domestic tournaments will be suspended for a period of time and if the spread is contained than they can be completed in the summer.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I wish they had suspended the UCL before Wednesday, then we wouldn't have had fooking Adrian in goal.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Surely there's something in the rulebook about what happens in situations like this one? There might be no footy played for the next 2 months, surely they predicted that such situations might happen and what happens to the league if they do.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm

If by some miracle we don't get the Premier league through a technicality with no back up plan whatsoever.. Then I'm seriously done with football.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 pm

The rest of the world are doing their best to avoid it but our government actually wants us to catch it. Effin great isn’t it?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Apparently the FA rules state that if the season can't continue for whatever reason the table will stay the same if its 75% complete.. That is 28 games. Luckily we've played 29 so it's looking like it's not gonna affect the title.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm

We have not hit the peak yet so expect this to carry on for a bit. If it does linger on then it is difficult to predict what will happen with this season.

What is ***** me off with all this situation is how people are panic buying at shops. They are behaving like they will be in hibernation for months.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 am

redshade » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 pm wrote:We have not hit the peak yet so expect this to carry on for a bit. If it does linger on then it is difficult to predict what will happen with this season.

What is ***** me off with all this situation is how people are panic buying at shops. They are behaving like they will be in hibernation for months.

I can’t see the season re-starting again mate, we are only at the very beginning of this thing, our government wants 60%-70% of us to get this virus in order to build up the ‘immunity of the herd’, well over in China it took from December to March just to infect 80 000, for this plan of our governments to work we are looking at 40 or 50 times that amount to be infected. Even at the rate this thing spreads it’s going to take a while to infect 49 million people. This is going to rumble on all summer imo.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion